Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 08:45 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauthor View Post
Okay. Trying to tie things together. Based on the criteria listed in my original post, I would like to know which, among Syracuse, Buffalo, Rochester, Albany and Ithaca, folks here think are the best fit.
Ithaca is a nice smaller city/college town with quite a bit to do for its size. It's a very diverse city too.

Actually, before I go any further, what else are you looking for or prefer in a city/neighborhood/community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 10:58 AM

102 posts, read 173,359 times
Thanks, ckhthankgod--

As stated in my original post, my ideal neighborhood would be clean, safe, quiet, accessible to supermarkets and other frequently needed services, public transit, affordable apartment rentals (approx. $600-900 for a nice studio or one-bedroom in a well-maintained older bldg), not overrun by students. Want to be among decent, respectable, respectful people. Proximity to parks or green areas would be a plus. Animal-friendly is also highly desirable.

Regarding the larger community, one that is friendly, open minded, forward thinking. Easy access to colleges, hospitals. Thriving cultural scene (movies, music, theatre, festivals), green grocers/coops/farmers markets, healthy living, high level of civic involvement (environmental, birding groups, for example). Recreational opportunities/facilities (hiking trails, ice skating rinks, etc.).

Of course, I don't necessarily expect to find all of these in one place and dirt cheap housing, too. But it would be nice to come as close as possible. Have been living in the Bay Area for over twenty years and grown weary of a deteriorating quality of life coupled with rents through the proverbial roof, paying through the nose for the "privilege" of living here. Therefore, I'm more than ready to move on but it has to be to the right place for the right reasons. Have been checking out Portland OR which fits many of the above criteria but the occupancy rate is very high and rental rates are almost comparable to the over-priced Bay Area.

So, does that give you a better idea of what I seek? Let me know what else you'd like to know.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:02 AM

Following up on, please advise which of the upstate cities--Ithaca, Syracuse, Buffalo, Rochester, Albany comes closest to my ideal locale? I am willing to give up some things in exchange for others. It all depends on the particulars. Kindly be as detailed as possible in your reply. For instance, what specific neighborhoods and what rental rates to expect.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:07 PM

Also, I personally think that the villages of Liverpool, Fayetteville and Manlius would be the best choices outside of Syracuse. I'd also think the area of DeWitt around East Genesee Street(DeWittshire/Orvilton) would work and there some apartments in that area across from Moses DeWitt Elementary on Jamesville Road.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:27 AM

Thanks for the additional info. The reason I need to stick to the city limits or areas accessible by reliable public transit is that I don't drive.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:23 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,591 times
Willowbrook Apartments, in the Village of Manlius (13104), is $650/mo. for a two-bedroom apartment. This includes heat <---a big deal, and hot water. It's set beside the Swan Pond (free fishing from two stocked ponds for seniors) and is directly between two small shopping plazas. There are two nice parks within walking distance, as are all everyday-type stores. Grocery, pharmacies, library, post office, restaurants, retail, bars, etc. There's a seniors center across the park... probably could see it from your apartment... ad a farmers' market twice a week, from May through October. It's also about 200 feet from a Centro bus stop.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauthor View Post
Thanks for the additional info. The reason I need to stick to the city limits or areas accessible by reliable public transit is that I don't drive.
All of those villages have access to public transoportation and villages in NY State are really scaled down urban areas, even if they don't have 2500 people. For those that don't know, the US census considers a community with 2500 people or more as "urban".

Anyway, the Brownstone Luxury Studio Apartments are just outside of Downtown and are on a main thoroughfare(West Genesee Street). So, you can walk to Downtown events/establishments and would be on a public transportation route. There is a park south of West Genesee Street as well. Here they are on streetview: west genesee/west sts syracuse ny - Google Maps

I would check those out to see if there are any available apartments.

Also, do you have any pets? That will help in finding a place. If so, you might something like this, eventhough it is bigger than what you are looking for: Tipp Hill Tompkins St Rental Great Location (http://syracuse.craigslist.org/apa/2785039587.html - broken link)

and some more that you may want to look into: 2 B/R heat includes,5 min to SU (http://syracuse.craigslist.org/apa/2776772622.html - broken link)

APARTMENT VILLIAGE LAKE VIEW (http://syracuse.craigslist.org/apa/2786715318.html - broken link)

liverpool apartment (http://syracuse.craigslist.org/apa/2792609704.html - broken link)

Old 01-16-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Willowbrook Apartments, in the Village of Manlius (13104), is $650/mo. for a two-bedroom apartment. This includes heat <---a big deal, and hot water. It's set beside the Swan Pond (free fishing from two stocked ponds for seniors) and is directly between two small shopping plazas. There are two nice parks within walking distance, as are all everyday-type stores. Grocery, pharmacies, library, post office, restaurants, retail, bars, etc. There's a seniors center across the park... probably could see it from your apartment... ad a farmers' market twice a week, from May through October. It's also about 200 feet from a Centro bus stop.
That was what I was thinking about in regards to the village of Manlius, but couldn't think of the name of the apartments. Thanks and isn't there another set of apartments not too far from those as well?

Can't forget the Art Cinema too.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:55 AM

Some more rentals: Syracuse Real Estate - 325 Dewitt, Syracuse, NY, 13203

Syracuse Real Estate - 401 Dewitt St # 1, Syracuse, NY, 13203

Syracuse Real Estate - 105 Twin Hills Dr # 7, Syracuse, NY, 13207

Syracuse Real Estate - 120 Apt 1 Dell St, Syracuse, NY, 13210

Syracuse Real Estate - 647 Dewitt, Syracuse, NY, 13203

Syracuse Real Estate - 1824 GRANT BLVD, Syracuse, NY, 13208

Syracuse Real Estate - 200 Erickson St, Syracuse, NY, 13206

Syracuse Real Estate - 1006 Sunnycrest Rd, Syracuse, NY, 13206

and some others you may like as well on this site: RealtyUSA | New York Real Estate |
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area