Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 11:24 PM

288 posts, read 510,797 times

Advertisements

It always amazes me when I talk to or see an ex-northerner make comments about how bad it is up here. Time after time, I read on syracuse.com about how he or she left upstate new york and consistently say negative things. However, they seem to have some sort of interest in the area if they continue to check up on it, almost as if they're jealous because their area isn't doing as well as it used to. Some things I usually point out to these ex-northerners; what's being done around the university hill area and other future projects? How bad is traffic? They like to mention Syracuse losing population but don't realize Onondaga county grew. What is the cost of living here compared to there?; since they always like to mention our taxes. But the one that really gets me is crime in Syracuse. Syracuse had 13 murders last year and its record for most ever murders is 24; enough said! The only thing that does suck about living up here is the weather, and that's just a preference thing, some people like winter sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 12:12 AM

93,559 posts, read 124,263,512 times
Some people carry around outdated thoughts and/or are unaware of what's going on here. Its almost like some people are trying to justify their move away from the area. You see this in in other forums on this websites as well.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:05 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,869,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn88 View Post
It always amazes me when I talk to or see an ex-northerner make comments about how bad it is up here. Time after time, I read on syracuse.com about how he or she left upstate new york and consistently say negative things. However, they seem to have some sort of interest in the area if they continue to check up on it, almost as if they're jealous because their area isn't doing as well as it used to. Some things I usually point out to these ex-northerners; what's being done around the university hill area and other future projects? How bad is traffic? They like to mention Syracuse losing population but don't realize Onondaga county grew. What is the cost of living here compared to there?; since they always like to mention our taxes. But the one that really gets me is crime in Syracuse. Syracuse had 13 murders last year and its record for most ever murders is 24; enough said! The only thing that does suck about living up here is the weather, and that's just a preference thing, some people like winter sports.

Great post shawn88, I could not agree more. If they hated it so much, why are they still posting. Its seems they are trying to convince themselves that leaving was the right thing. The grass may not have turned out to be greener for them. The only way to reconcile their decision to leave is bash Syracuse/CNY with outdated or unsubstantiated claims. Granted, I do live in Florida for job related purposes but recognize the positive changes taking place in CNY, i.e. population growth, relative low crime, on-going projects on university hill, downtown, inner-harbor, near west side, Armory Square, etc. If given the right opportunity, I would seriously consider a return. If those "ex-northerners" spent a little time researching what is going on in CNY, they might get real with themselves and return or remain silent. Again, great post!

Old 01-15-2012, 10:28 AM

288 posts, read 510,797 times
Thats awesome that you moved and still know what really is going on...glad to hear that

Old 01-15-2012, 10:33 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,532,184 times
Urbanplanner - I think it's GREAT that you moved away but are still an active poster in this forum! It really shows your love for the area! I follow the news in central FL because I went to college there, but other than that I'm not too involved with what goes on there.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Urbanplanner - I think it's GREAT that you moved away but are still an active poster in this forum! It really shows your love for the area! I follow the news in central FL because I went to college there, but other than that I'm not too involved with what goes on there.
Becca and shawn88:

Thank you both for your comments.

Unfortunately, my biggest regret is when I read of public forums, presentations, etc. on Onondaga Lake, inner-harbor, bike trails, etc. I wish I could participate. Esp. as a planner, there is nothing quite like watching your own hometown/region transform itself for the better as is taking place in Syracuse/CNY.

Florida is dependent on vulnerable industries like tourism, construction, real estate and body augmentation . As goes the nation, so goes Florida. The beautiful images that you see are marketing ploys to get you down here, but you do not see the traffic on I-4 or I-95 (FDOTs answer, build more lanes), forclosed properties, poor schools, limited resources, etc. The grass is not greener!

CNY has resources other communities would envy. Those resources are leading the transformation of its/your economy. More importantly, you finally have local leadership (mayor, CE, chancellor, SUNY/OCC presidents, community/business/neighborhood leaders, etc.) that are on the same page and building a common vision for Syracuse and CNY. Whether that momentum continues remains to be seen, but I am confident it will.

Last edited by urbanplanner; 01-15-2012 at 11:43 AM..

Old 01-15-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
Becca and shawn88:

Thank you both for your comments.

Unfortunately, my biggest regret is when I read of public forums, presentations, etc. on Onondaga Lake, inner-harbor, bike trails, etc. I wish I could participate. Esp. as a planner, there is nothing quite like watching your own hometown/region transform itself for the better as is taking place in Syracuse/CNY.

Florida is dependent on vulnerable industries like tourism, construction, real estate and body augmentation . As goes the nation, so goes Florida. The beautiful images that you see are marketing ploys to get you down here, but you do not see the traffic on I-4 or I-95 (FDOTs answer, build more lanes), forclosed properties, poor schools, limited resources, etc. The grass is not greener!

CNY has resources other communities would envy. Those resources are leading the transformation of its/your economy. More importantly, you finally have local leadership (mayor, CE, chancellor, SUNY/OCC presidents, community/business/neighborhood leaders, etc.) that are on the same page and building a common vision for Syracuse and CNY.
I'm a planner as well... even though I'm an airport planner and not an urban/city planner, I still follow the same circles and get caught up in various developments, etc. Seems we have something in common!

My aunt lives on the gulf coast of FL and has had a property for sale for OVER FIVE YEARS! No bites, whatsoever. Personally, I think she's asking way too much for the property, but that's on her.

I-4 is a nightmare! I used to take 70 over to the gulf coast because I didn't want to deal ith I-4!

I still travel down there at least once a year since one of my best friends is from the Melbourne area. I have other friends there as well, so it's always nice to catch up. I like visiting, but I also like coming home!

Old 01-15-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I'm a planner as well... even though I'm an airport planner and not an urban/city planner, I still follow the same circles and get caught up in various developments, etc. Seems we have something in common!

My aunt lives on the gulf coast of FL and has had a property for sale for OVER FIVE YEARS! No bites, whatsoever. Personally, I think she's asking way too much for the property, but that's on her.

I-4 is a nightmare! I used to take 70 over to the gulf coast because I didn't want to deal ith I-4!

I still travel down there at least once a year since one of my best friends is from the Melbourne area. I have other friends there as well, so it's always nice to catch up. I like visiting, but I also like coming home!
I thought so too. If I had to change my planning focus, I would change it to airport planner (big fan of airplanes).

I won't ask you where you work, but are you still involved in airport planning issues, i.e. as consultant, local aerospace related firm, etc. You wouldn't happen to be involved in airport authority issues?

As for your aunt, its a buyers market on the gulf or atlantic coasts. If you are right, she is going to have to give a "bit" if she wants out of that unit. I bought within my means, so no problem there. However, all the properties in my development (and general area) are below what we paid.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
I thought so too. I won't ask you where you work, but are you still involved in airport planning issues, i.e. as consultant, local aerospace related firm, etc. You wouldn't happen to be involved in airport authority issues?

As for your aunt, its a buyers market on the gulf or atlantic coasts. I bought within my means, so no problem there. However, all the properties in my development are "underwater".
Yes I am involved in airport issues, but we actually have absolutely NOTHING to do with the Syracuse airport authority. We have however done the redesign of the terminal, so hopefully no one hates that I work on airports all throughout NY state and am actually the project manager for a few in NJ... which works to my benefit because my mom still lives in south Jersey, so I can coordinate visits with my meetings

I've told my aunt she needs to at least rent the place out, but she refuses. She'd rather pay 2 mortgages for some reason. But like I said, that's not on me!

Old 01-15-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Yes I am involved in airport issues, but we actually have absolutely NOTHING to do with the Syracuse airport authority. We have however done the redesign of the terminal, so hopefully no one hates that I work on airports all throughout NY state and am actually the project manager for a few in NJ... which works to my benefit because my mom still lives in south Jersey, so I can coordinate visits with my meetings

I've told my aunt she needs to at least rent the place out, but she refuses. She'd rather pay 2 mortgages for some reason. But like I said, that's not on me!
Interesting! I am looking forward to see your work at Hancock. Watertown is doing a little expansion to accomodate AA, working on that one? The Albany Airport is really nice.

I don't have two mortgages to content with, thank goodness. I do have a friend who took a job and bought a new home in Fort Lauderdale before selling their house in Tampa (bad move). Now they are stuck with two mortgages. The house in Tampa is being rented, but has been trashed by the tenants and can't get rid of them. Needless to say, both houses are "underwater". I don't blame your aunt. I learned that relatives (esp. older) do not listen, just have to let them go.

Anyway, I have family in Westfield and Linden, NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area