Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 03:25 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,287,042 times

Advertisements

I haven't had to be on 5 today as I'm off but 365A as of 5 minutes ago is still nearly undrivable and the sidestreets have hardly been touched.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 03:26 PM

94,272 posts, read 125,194,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
On your charts I'm kinda in a no mans land of sorts.

Syracuse Metro is waaaaaaaaay outside my comfort zone.

Utica MSA is well inside my comfort zone.

And I'm half way between them. But Oneida is mind body and spirit a part of Syracuse (the locals, not me).

I wonder was LVG would think if her husband had to drive through here today. The roads are still barely plowed wider then a goat path. I bet its 2 hours to Fayetteville today (I wouldn't try it myself, even with 4 wheel drive).
Quote:
Oh, I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to sell her on Utica but I can see how it could look that way. What I meant was the violent crime RATE is about double in Syracuse vs Utica. That part was as concerns myself.

As far as she was involved with this thread the difference between the two places wouldn't amount to a hill of beans. The weather blows exactly the same in both. Believe me I would no more try and make it to New Hartford on these roads then Fayeteville.
For one, she isn't looking in with city. Second, both have good and bad neighborhoods in that regard. Third, the crime rates are close between the two cities according to the city-data website: https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-New-York.html

https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-New-York.html

So, that isn't true and keep in mind that Syracuse is almost 2 and a half times bigger in terms of population than Utica. Either way, one's lifestyle is key in terms of crime around here.

No big deal about a preference, but I think proper information would only help LVG. While the Utica-Rome area offers quite a bit for its size, Syracuse being a bigger metro will just offer more in the immediate area.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:11 PM

42 posts, read 76,509 times
Did you guys get snow last night too?

One step closer! Husband gave 2 weeks notice at current job. His official start date is Jan 21st. I will probably move with kids in March so I may miss snow this year. Ya think.?

Old 12-28-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtime Vegas Girl View Post
Did you guys get snow last night too?

One step closer! Husband gave 2 weeks notice at current job. His official start date is Jan 21st. I will probably move with kids in March so I may miss snow this year. Ya think.?
We got quite a bit, but the area DPW's are usually pretty good about snow removal on the streets.

You should miss the snow, but it may snow occasionally snow in late March/early April.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:37 PM

March is always cold gloomy and windy but for snowfall I wouldn't even take a guess.

Mothers Day is considered the last day for snow in "shovelable" amounts.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
March is always cold gloomy and windy but for snowfall I wouldn't even take a guess.

Mothers Day is considered the last day for snow in "shovelable" amounts.
With the last statement being extremely rare. It seems like winter alternates between being harsh and mild every other winter or so.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
With the last statement being extremely rare. It seems like winter alternates between being harsh and mild every other winter or so.

If its on a sliding scale after last year I guess we are DOOMED!!!!!!!!

Old 12-28-2012, 04:58 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,775,605 times
Quote:
Just to make a point of your generalisations-

Sometimes March is sunny and beautiful but usually yes, it's just winter winding down to spring. But March is NOT always "cold gloomy and windy." You know this, especially considering the warm spell we had - to say the least - THIS past March. Syracuse March Weather 2012 - AccuWeather Forecast for NY 13202

As someone who doesn't much like heat and streaks of glaring sunshine, I did think that this past March was somewhat miserable... because it was like summer.

In the recent past - within several years - it has been 70 in early January and has snowed on Mother's Day. Syracuse is well-known for freak weather, which is why it is a mecca for aspiring meteorologists to study. We're at the center of several different growing regions and sets of weather patterns. It makes predicting the weather difficult.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:18 PM

Last winter was a strange one and prolly ruined averages here for decades.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:35 PM

14 posts, read 15,498 times
The past 3 St. Patrick Days have been in the mid 60's to low 70's and sunshine. This I know because I always take the day off to do a pub crawl on Tipp Hill, in Syracuse LVG.

Sean, if you hate it here so much then why not move? Life is way to damn short to be miserable about your surroundings. Or am I misunderstanding and that you reside in Utica?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area