Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2012, 06:37 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,272,938 times

Advertisements

In Idaho I'd try to make a go on 35K.

In NY 35K is not something I would ever even think about trying. With the taxes thats like 3 grand a year left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 07:24 PM

288 posts, read 510,566 times
You always talk about how expensive it is in New York State when upstate cities always rank in the top cheapest places to live and that's factoring in taxes. So, if I was making 35k in Upstate New York, I'd be pretty happy, and would be doing pretty great if my girlfriend was making 35k as well.

It's almost like you want New York State to be a bad place to live, just so you can tell people on this forum, " I told you so!"

But then again, maybe it is just that bad out in that small town you live in called, "Oneida."

But then again, economies always suck in small towns, and that is why they're a small town.

But then again, maybe Oneida is filled with unsupportive ignorant people like you, which could be the reason why it is doing bad.

By ignorant, I mean: do not support local small mom and pop shops, do not spend money locally, and do not work together to raise their voice for change. After all, the law says, "we the people." As a result, this simply means, we the people may have things our way if we just raise our voice as a whole. People make changes, not politicians. Politicians only want votes, so they'll do what people want them to do. But, when a small town is filled with "Negative Nancy's" like you, of course, it will fail. Still doesn't mean that 35k out in Oneida isn't good money.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:00 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,451,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Why so hostile? Are you really Congel or one of his cronies? Really. What's there to get so upset and downright nasty over?

I've been to Alabama. I wouldn't return for all the money in the world and all of the tea in China! Not worth it.

Why so much excitement over retail jobs? Which traditionally pay minimum wage or close to it. Even retail managers don't make great bucks unless you're the store manager of Macy's.

I haven't been whining for 8 years. I knew about this pet project LOOOOOOONG before it was dumped on Syracuse. Sorry, but you weren't the original guina pig for this project. Congel was rejected by Guilderland to do this to Crossgates. And what a dump that place is becoming! Needs some good cleaning, painting, floors, etc. Carousel was pretty sad looking and much younger than Crossgates.

By the way, accountants don't get degrees called accountant degrees. And politicians don't hand them out. You have to work your ass off for an accounting degree. I graduated with freaking honors and made the dean's and president's lists. So you're not talking to some moron and if I was a moron, you still don't need to be so nasty! Maybe you should visit Alabama and see what it's like. Maybe you could get yourself one of
those jobs at Airbus.

Thanks for playing. Wrong again! All of those 2,500 jobs are NOT in Albany and they are NOT at one company. They are with several companies and the jobs stretch from Albany down to Fishkill and up to Malta. Most of those jobs - in particular - the ones in Malta are NOT filled by local employees. They hire and transfer people from Europe, Silicone Valley, and Austin. Many of those jobs weren't actual local hires so get you created a job, but filled it with a guy from Germany. How exactly does that help the unemployed in New York?
I think your post is more negative than it needed to be but I also see what you are saying. I was a kid when this was proposed for Albany -- 1999 or 2000 I believe, I would have been 11 or 12. And I remember a whole layout in the Times Union about it with a drawing of what would be -- and it was so exciting, and I was disappointed when it was rejected.

Then I went to college in 2006 and heard Syracuse people talking about it and I remembered it all. I knew then that rejecting it had been the right move. Even if the economy had not faced a downturn, this was always a plan destined to fail. People aren't in to malls anymore.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:09 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,634,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn88 View Post
I'm a 21 years old college student who lives in buffalo. If you don't believe me I'll send you my Facebook.
That explains soooooooo much!

Old 08-13-2012, 10:16 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,634,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
I am excited over retails jobs. There were few options for low skilled or entry level work and this is providing plenty of options for kids and those just entering or returning to the work force. It gives people options that they wouldn't have otherwise, gives them work history, and hopefully teaches work ethic. If nothing else, it keeps kids busy and out of trouble.
You have posted good reasons to be excited over retail jobs. I do see a lot more adults working in retail nowadays even in stores that typically employed teens not long ago. I miss the little old lady who used to be the greeter at Wal-Mart. Anne was such a nice lady. I don't see her working anywhere in the store anymore. No one has her job now unfortunately.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
That explains soooooooo much!
You're claiming I know congel when I don't.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:54 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,867,450 times
Quote:
You're claiming I know congel when I don't.
I don't think ss20ts was necessarily implying that you know Congel, but (like yourself) I commend Congel for Franklin Square and Destiny! Both are better than abandoned buildings, oil tanks, brownfields, and scarp yards. Despite recent headlines, I don't think we have heard the last of Destiny expansions.

Last edited by urbanplanner; 08-14-2012 at 11:22 AM..

Old 08-14-2012, 11:50 AM

60 posts, read 131,480 times
Default re: future expansion

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
I don't think ss20ts was necessarily implying that you know Congel, but (like yourself) I commend Congel for Franklin Square and Destiny! Both are better than abandoned buildings, oil tanks, brownfields, and scarp yards. Despite recent headlines, I don't think we have heard the last of Destiny expansions.

I stopped by the new mall expansion over the weekend and I had two thoughts:

1. It's a very nice update to the mall, though the lack of design continuity with the original mall makes the overall facility feel a bit bolted together. That said, I like the concept and design of the new space and think it could be a nice amenity for Syracuse.

2. It's big! It will be interesting to see if it stays fully occupied in the long-term, because it feels too large for CNY...of course, this is just a gut level reaction on my part.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:47 PM

Agree. But, I think since Destiny has an entertainment section it will help attract people from outside of syracuse. Also, I think a lot of younger high school/ college students will pretty much live there since it gives them so much to do. Finally, by adding a museum, go kart racetrack, and a bowling alley it'll attract mothers with young children, in which, they can leave their kids behind in one of the attractions while they shop.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:54 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,529,959 times
Quote:
Finally, by adding a museum, go kart racetrack, and a bowling alley it'll attract mothers with young children, in which, they can leave their kids behind in one of the attractions while they shop.
I hope you mean that they will leave them with another supervising adult. Mothers don't leave their young children alone in attractions unless they are being supervised. Places like go karts and bowling alleys are not babysitting facilities.

And FWIW, I am looking forward to the entertainment aspects of Destiny, but there has not been a single "store" being added that I'm even remotely interested in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area