Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2012, 02:44 PM
_V_ _V_ started this thread

19 posts, read 125,128 times

Advertisements

It looks like I'm going to need to furnish an off-campus SU apartment. Any suggestions on where to get a mattress and inexpensive ("college student") furniture? Or where to avoid? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 04:05 PM

93,930 posts, read 124,723,742 times
Perhaps Big Lots or a place like this: Syracuse Mattress Futon and Bunk bed

Old 06-02-2012, 07:02 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,621,856 times
I would use Craigslist for everything except for a mattress.

This place might be worth checking out. I don't know how their prices are, but it looks like a place that would have cheaper new furniture.

FACTORY DIRECT FURNITURE & MATTRESS
factorydirectfurnandmatt.com: The Leading Factory Direct Furn and Matt Site on the Net
2711 South Salina Street Syracuse, NY 13205
(315) 218-5273

There is a somewhat sketchy used furniture place on South Salina called Percy Jones. It could be hit or miss.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:56 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,539,683 times
Yep, Craigslist is your best bet

Old 06-14-2012, 05:52 PM

9 posts, read 33,040 times
Hey! Stay away from Metro Mattress on Erie Blvd! I went in a couple of weeks to get an idea of prices for a guest room mattress. Terrible experience! I was pricing them since we had family visiting to see our new place here.

The manager Joel was extremely rude and condescending towards me. At first he was good and seemed helpful, albeit a little pushy in a typical salesperson way, which I was fine with. However, I was not happy with the choices that were in my budget and told him I was just going to wait until I had a bit more money saved and I'd be back. He proceeded to get very pushy and said, "well unless you want your guests on an air mattress you just need to go with this." I said, thanks anyway, and started to make my way out of the showroom with my 20 month old son. He followed me and said, "you know, I get it. Some of us want a $100,000 car but can only afford a $5,000 one." "That's life and you need to get used to it."

I didn't even respond because I was so upset and furious. I just walked out.

On a positive note, I didn't buy one here but the manager at ZZZZ SleepMasters on Erie Blvd. was soooooo friendly and helpful. She showed me many options and even was willing to throw the frame and delivery free since we were very close.

Sorry for the vent but hope this helps!

PAtoNY

Old 06-14-2012, 07:11 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,692,154 times
I just moved here and have been looking for a mattress, too ( amongst other things). We found some well-priced ones at China Town furniture in Solvay. They have a lot of furniture in the place. But, what caught my eye is the poster above mentioning his experiences at Metro mattress. We stopped in the one in Camillus and the manager was beyond obnoxious when I was looking. Started high pressuring me & then said, "Well, if the mattress was free would you buy it then"? Not sure why he went nutsy but the guy just can't sell a mattress & is clearly pis&$ed off! Whatever. I'm from Metro Phoenix & used to rude people, it barely phased me, but, wow, the management must suck in that chain of stores.

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 06-14-2012 at 07:25 PM..

Old 08-18-2012, 01:48 PM
_V_ _V_ started this thread

19 posts, read 125,128 times
Follow-up:

We purchased a mattress and box spring set at SleepMaster on Erie Blvd. as @PAtoNY suggested. We felt the "student special" price including delivery was fair, and as I understand it, the product is manufactured in Syracuse, so we helped the local economy.

We also got a lot of stuff from the Syracuse Rescue Mission "Thrifty Shopper" stores (numerous in the area) and the Salvation Army Family store on Erie Blvd.

We got lots of odds and ends at the Dollar Tree on Erie Blvd. (surprisingly nice store), Walmart, and Target.

Craigslist didn't work out for us - did not get timely responses to our inquiries.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:42 PM

277 posts, read 884,978 times
I just bought some smaller things like a dinnette table on Amazon. If I had a car, I would get ecerything at 3fifteen at Marshall Square Mall.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:41 PM

93,930 posts, read 124,723,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7035683216 View Post
I just bought some smaller things like a dinnette table on Amazon. If I had a car, I would get ecerything at 3fifteen at Marshall Square Mall.
They have furniture at 3fifteen? Wow, there is more in that store than I thought.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,325 times
Default Mattresses & Furniture in Syracuse

Hey! I don't know if anyone is still looking for mattresses or furniture but I would second that Factory Direct Furniture & Mattress is the place to go to. I was able to get a new queen mattress and box spring for 200. Perfect for a grad student with lots of LOAN$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area