Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 06:37 AM

60 posts, read 131,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
I hope they re-interview this person in a year or so after the honeymoon phase is over. Everything is great when you first move to a new place.

I moved here from Washington DC and still enjoy the area. From my perspective the area certainly has its challenges (mostly around political, economic and tax issues), but it really has a lot to offer. Sadly, I will be moving out of the area in the spring as my wife had a job opportunity in NC that she couldn't refuse, but I will miss many things:
  • Lakes, lakes, and more lakes
  • Wine trails
  • Top notch college sports at SU
  • A strong arts scene
  • A reasonable cost of living, even if the tax rates stick in my craw sometimes
  • Tons of winter sports (yep, I love snow)
  • Easy access to Toronto, NYC, Boston, Montreal

I think people tend to focus too heavily on the negative aspects of the area and discount the many positives that it offers. I would move back here in a heartbeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 07:04 AM

93,370 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYLion View Post
I moved here from Washington DC and still enjoy the area. From my perspective the area certainly has its challenges (mostly around political, economic and tax issues), but it really has a lot to offer. Sadly, I will be moving out of the area in the spring as my wife had a job opportunity in NC that she couldn't refuse, but I will miss many things:
  • Lakes, lakes, and more lakes
  • Wine trails
  • Top notch college sports at SU
  • A strong arts scene
  • A reasonable cost of living, even if the tax rates stick in my craw sometimes
  • Tons of winter sports (yep, I love snow)
  • Easy access to Toronto, NYC, Boston, Montreal
I think people tend to focus too heavily on the negative aspects of the area and discount the many positives that it offers. I would move back here in a heartbeat.
Say it ain't so! ^I agree and I think sometimes the negatives may have to do with personal reasons/preferences/issues, etc.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:44 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think sometimes the negatives may have to do with personal reasons/preferences/issues, etc.
I hate to be Captain Obvious, but isn't that true with the people who have positive things to say too? That is why they are called opinions. Opinions are usually based on personal reasons/ preferences / issues.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:31 AM

93,370 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
I hate to be Captain Obvious, but isn't that true with the people who have positive things to say too? That is why they are called opinions. Opinions are usually based on personal reasons/ preferences / issues.
Maybe I should have been more clear about what I was trying to get at. For instance, there are people that have personal issues that they need to deal with, but feel that their problems are the result of being here, when those issues aren't going to get resolved by just moving. Perhaps a person moves here and prefers major concerts regularly or pro sports. Syracuse isn't going to do it for them. If a person isn't use to snow, Syracuse winters would be a no go. That is what I was getting at.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:47 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,866,576 times
Quote:
I hope they re-interview this person in a year or so after the honeymoon phase is over. Everything is great when you first move to a new place.
Really "Mr. Los Angeleno", so I guess it is a forgone conclusion that he will hate it after a while? Why, because it is Syracuse or because YOU do not like it there? Everyone is NOT an extension of yourself or think like you, go back to where you came from if you do NOT like Syracuse or CNY! Have you been to Los Angeles lately, its a sewer!

Old 09-18-2012, 03:48 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
Really "Mr. Los Angeleno", so I guess it is a forgone conclusion that he will hate it after a while? Why, because it is Syracuse or because YOU do not like it there? Everyone is NOT an extension of yourself or think like you, go back to where you came from if you do NOT like Syracuse or CNY! Have you been to Los Angeles lately, its a sewer!
Every time you open your mouth, you confirm everything I think of you. Unlike you, I don't post in the Los Angeles forum because even if I did want to go back there, I have been gone for 5 years and a lot has changed in that time. Even going back once a year does not make me current with what is going on out there. Sure, I can read the newspaper and think I have a clue what is going on in the area, but I don't. You have not lived in Syracuse for 22 YEARS.

I am here for the same reasons you are in Florida even though we both obviously wish we were somewhere else. The only difference is I post about what I know and where I currently am while you still have the fairy tale of the land you grew up in over half my lifetime ago.

P.S. I have a vagina.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:05 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times
Quote:
Every time you open your mouth, you confirm everything I think of you. Unlike you, I don't post in the Los Angeles forum because even if I did want to go back there, I have been gone for 5 years and a lot has changed in that time. Even going back once a year does not make me current with what is going on out there. Sure, I can read the newspaper and think I have a clue what is going on in the area, but I don't. You have not lived in Syracuse for 22 YEARS.

I am here for the same reasons you are in Florida even though we both obviously wish we were somewhere else. The only difference is I post about what I know and where I currently am while you still have the fairy tale of the land you grew up in over half my lifetime ago.

P.S. I have a vagina.

Ed McMahon Hiyo - YouTube

Old 09-19-2012, 05:40 AM

60 posts, read 131,429 times
Default Well this thread took an expected turn

Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area