Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 08:23 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,832,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Thats a non-issue.

Dairy products from NY fan out across the country everyday.

Most/all fresh food consumed in the NE comes up from Florida on reefer trucks everyday.

Wegmans is just a tiny regional chain with minimal logistics support. They have a system that works for them and no need to rock the boat.

Having a very small number of stores mostly in extremely affluent suburbs. More stores equals more complaints. Having to wade through the EBT class leads to complaints.

For comparison:

Wegmans has 81 stores.

Publix has 1100

Kroger has 3500

Walmart has 8500
I don't doubt what you are saying. Most of the milk and dairy I see here come from local farms, Lehigh Valley, etc. So I kinda assumed that milk wasn't shipped too far. Bottled water too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 05:58 AM

120 posts, read 340,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL Tudor View Post
Growing up I always thought Wegmans was overrated. It was always a little more expensive than places my family usually went like Price Chopper on Erie Blvd & Peter's by Fayetteville Mall.

Now that I live in DC, I realized what I missed it because it has the widest cross section of food from store brand to much more expensive stuff. Whole Paycheck i mean Whole Foods serves a different segment, I don't think it's a good comparison. There are a number of Wegmans in the area but they're a pain to get to for me... I usually go to Harris Teeter - a notch down from Wegmans - because it's one Metro stop away or I can walk there on a nice day. I wonder if Wegmans would ever try (or maybe they already have) building an urban store; every one I've come across has a large footprint, though the one in East Syracuse I remember not being so big.
Actually, Wegmans is just now in the process of getting ready to open a 2 floor store on a smaller footprint than their usual stores in Rochester, on the corner of East Avenue and Winton Road. there has been a Wegamans there forever but they are building a brand new one which is set to open in May of this year. I don't remember if I read it or if an employee told me that one of the reasons they're doing this in this location is to experiment with getting into urban areas. And why not work out the bugs in their hometown? This particular location is very popular and tends to serve more singles and couples with no children because of it's location. Yes, plenty of families shop here, but the surrounding area has more singles than the its other stores.

It will be interesting to see if this goes anywhere (outside of the Rochester store)

Old 02-27-2013, 07:44 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,606,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alw1964 View Post
Actually, Wegmans is just now in the process of getting ready to open a 2 floor store on a smaller footprint than their usual stores in Rochester, on the corner of East Avenue and Winton Road. there has been a Wegamans there forever but they are building a brand new one which is set to open in May of this year. I don't remember if I read it or if an employee told me that one of the reasons they're doing this in this location is to experiment with getting into urban areas. And why not work out the bugs in their hometown? This particular location is very popular and tends to serve more singles and couples with no children because of it's location. Yes, plenty of families shop here, but the surrounding area has more singles than the its other stores.

It will be interesting to see if this goes anywhere (outside of the Rochester store)
It will be interesting. The only urban stores ever have been in Rochester and they are now down to just the one East Ave store when it reopens in May. I don't foresee Wegmans having any problems staying in business in the Rochester area at all period. The reputation is just too strong and most people in the city travel to the suburbs to shop at the Wegmans there now as it is. If they do happen to target urban markets down the road, and they are neighborhoods similar to Park Avenue; especially in more super-wealthy urban areas like Boston, Manhattan, or trendy neighborhoods in Philly and DC....I think it would be very successful.

I know a lot of NY expats in the south dream of the day that Wegmans will expand down there. We were in that same mindset too when we lived down in NC; but it's just not going to happen. Wegmans is a regional grocery store and it's region is the northeast/mid-atlantic. You won't see them expanding west of PA or south of the DC burbs in VA. If there was any hope at all for it to happen, it would maybe have been for Wegmans to buy the Harris Teeter company which is currently for sale; but they stated very early on that they are not at all interested.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:34 AM

93,758 posts, read 124,493,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
It will be interesting. The only urban stores ever have been in Rochester and they are now down to just the one East Ave store when it reopens in May. I don't foresee Wegmans having any problems staying in business in the Rochester area at all period. The reputation is just too strong and most people in the city travel to the suburbs to shop at the Wegmans there now as it is. If they do happen to target urban markets down the road, and they are neighborhoods similar to Park Avenue; especially in more super-wealthy urban areas like Boston, Manhattan, or trendy neighborhoods in Philly and DC....I think it would be very successful.

I know a lot of NY expats in the south dream of the day that Wegmans will expand down there. We were in that same mindset too when we lived down in NC; but it's just not going to happen. Wegmans is a regional grocery store and it's region is the northeast/mid-atlantic. You won't see them expanding west of PA or south of the DC burbs in VA. If there was any hope at all for it to happen, it would maybe have been for Wegmans to buy the Harris Teeter company which is currently for sale; but they stated very early on that they are not at all interested.
They used to have one on Syracuse's North Side, which served a UN collection of people due to the make up of the area. Now that store is a Tops, but I hope that the East ave. Wegmans does well, as it could serve as an example in order for Downtown Syracuse to get a grocery store. If not Downtown Syracuse, perhaps it could get an Inner Harbor/Franklin Square location here in Syracuse. I would say that the location at North Salina and Butternut where the former HSBC Bank is located could also work, but this potential project has that area in mind:
Mayors Challenge Finalist: Syracuse, NY - YouTube

VOTE: Mayors Challenge Fan Favorite Selection

A Model for the Northside | Northside UP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area