Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 05:27 PM

19 posts, read 43,409 times

Advertisements

My family is considering a relocation opportunity for my husband's work. We are a mixed couple (he's black, I'm white) and we have two sons. We are a very open-minded and culturally diverse family and have always tried to keep our kids exposed to the international world around us. From what I have been reading (albeit some things are 5 or more years old), it seems that there is a lot of racial tension and segregation in the area. Is this really true?

I was not really sure to even post this until I started to research schools for our boys and found that there definitely seems to be a strange demographic shifts in the schools--they are not reflective of the overall numbers of the community. Basically, it seems that there is around 60% caucasian in Syracuse in general, but the schools are like 90%+ white or 75%+ black, etc. (both cases mixed races nearly non-existant) and test scores seem reflective of classism with the predominantly "white" schools having well above average test scores. I grew up in the South, my husband in Europe, and currently we live in the Midwest. So--I am really trying to figure out if this is an area we should be comfortable to call home, or should we be worried about our kids getting bullied or not "fitting in" at school, or for me to find a job if I am in a mixed relationship? Both of us are University educated and have a high value on education--but it looks like to get a good education we will have to be in a "certain" neighborhood to make that happen for our boys. That said, any advice on neighborhoods and schools where we can "fit in" if this is going to be an issue for us and in general as a family with kids (low-crime, good schools)--and we are open to moving in surrounding communities if that is what it takes.

Like I mentioned we are very open minded family, so I want some real opinions here on the situation on the ground so to speak in the area. We are used to the general "stares" from some of the older populations or those "outlier" extremists in our community just as you would anywhere, but from what I have found online, I have to admit I am a little worried about the move. Thank you for your honesty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 06:01 PM

93,415 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Don't worry about it. What you may find is that schools that say "Syracuse" aren't in the city of Syracuse, but use Syracuse in their zip code. That's how the school district I went to school in went.

There are interracial couples in the area and it isn't a big deal around here.

Personally, I think that the East Side of Syracuse would be a good fit in terms of within city limits. In terms of suburbs, Jamesville-DeWitt and Liverpool would probably be the best choices. I say this in terms of all of those areas having some diverse neighborhoods and schools relative to other areas. There are others that could fit, but I feel that these areas would be the best places to look into. I'll add more later.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:07 PM

Thank you for that--I was doing some more checking to schools. As far as "excellence" in education, what do you think about the Fayetteville-Manlius area? I was looking at their school sites and report cards and it looks great on paper.
Are those areas at all diverse culturally, rather than ethnically? (the schools have a high caucasian percentage--which honestly is not a problem for us as long as the area is culturally diverse and open)

Old 06-20-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiana123 View Post
Thank you for that--I was doing some more checking to schools. As far as "excellence" in education, what do you think about the Fayetteville-Manlius area? I was looking at their school sites and report cards and it looks great on paper.
Are those areas at all diverse culturally, rather than ethnically? (the schools have a high caucasian percentage--which honestly is not a problem for us as long as the area is culturally diverse and open)
You would be fine in the F-M school district. Jamesville-DeWitt is in between the city of Syracuse and the Fayetteville-Manlius SD. J-D is arguably the most diverse suburban school district in the area and also has very good schools. Both are in the Eastern suburbs.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:26 PM

I have also read a little about Liverpool Schools. Any thoughts? Neighborhoods in that area, etc. I am a fish at heart, lol.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiana123 View Post
I have also read a little about Liverpool Schools. Any thoughts? Neighborhoods in that area, etc. I am a fish at heart, lol.
Liverpool is a solid school district and is the 3rd biggest in the area. It has more Black students than any other suburban school district in the area and has a pretty high Italian American population. Onondaga Lake Park is in the area and areas like the Sunflower Park, Bayberry, Galeville and Longbranch would fit in terms of being more diverse. Parts of the towns of Salina and Clay are in the district.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:07 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,617,694 times
The only real diversity I see is within the city limits. I think CKH is right on about Liverpool and Dewitt being your best option for being outside of the city and having a little diversity.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:31 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,761,617 times
Re: "Fish at heart"

Onondaga Lake is one of the most polluted lakes in the world... I say this so you don't base part of your decision to live in Liverpool because you think that you'll be able to swim in it. That doesn't happen. It's a beautiful village but it's not "lakeside/lakefront" in the way lake communities usually are.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
The only real diversity I see is within the city limits. I think CKH is right on about Liverpool and Dewitt being your best option for being outside of the city and having a little diversity.
Parts of the North Syracuse and Onondaga Central school districts have some as well, with it increasing in other districts too. It is that in terms of relative volume in comparison to other suburban/small town SD's, those two seem to be the best options. I just say this to help illustrate the point ToeJam made.

La Fayette has probably the highest percentage of minority students outside of the city of Syracuse due to getting children from the Onondaga Indian Nation. It is about 30% minority students, but Native Americans make up about 27% of the students.

North Syracuse does have have some Black people in key positions like superintendent, principal of Roxboro Road Elementary, associate superintendant of teaching and learning and the coaches of the girls track team. So, that may be something to consider, Italiana123. It is the second biggest district in the area too.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-21-2013 at 08:56 AM..

Old 06-21-2013, 12:54 PM

You all have been great. ProulXFamily--THANK YOU for that advice RE the Lake. I was thinking that not necessarily to swim, but more of a stroll if it is park like, but if it is that polluted--suggestions for other leisurely strolls in this regard? lol

I appreciate all of your advice. I also appreciate the inclusion of diversity comments--and the schools. Black/non-black ratio is not so much a big deal (we don't really care or see color as much as some others do around us) as long as it is an inclusive mindset in general that is most important. Hopefully in the next few weeks we will get a chance to come and see for ourselves some of these areas and look at houses, etc... I haven't looked yet at the North area in terms of schools, but based on your suggestions have researched a little more on the J-D, and F-M, and Liverpool areas for living and schools and all three seem to be excellent school systems at least as far as HighSchool academics are concerned.

Is it me, or do the pics from the J-D areas seem a little run down for houses? Keep in mind, I have two sons--one nearly in HighSchool and one in elementary so I really would like SAFE neighborhoods to live in as well as EXCELLENT schools. I know--what can I say, I'm a mom and a woman--I want it all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area