Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2008, 07:26 PM

3,514 posts, read 9,429,882 times

Advertisements

Syracuse's Inner Harbor has seen little development in the past few years, even after a decade of studies, plans, and proposals.

For those that do not know, here is some background information: The Inner Harbor area in Syracuse used to be just Oil tanks called "Oil City". All the Oil tanks were torn down about 10 years ago. Ever since then there have been plans to re-develop the site. About 5 years ago, part of the Inner Harbor was spruced up with trees, landscaping, new lamp posts and a small amphitheater.

The Inner Harbor connects Syracuse's "Onondaga Creek" with Onondaga Lake..which connects with the Erie Canal via the Seneca river. So basically, you can travel on a boat from the Inner Harbor to Lake Ontario, Oneida Lake, Albany and point east , Rochester and points west.

A large part of the hold up on redeveloping the Inner Harbor is Destiny USA's plans to build the largest mall in the nation. Carousel Mall is very close by to this site and the developer is expanding it in phases. The first phase is currently under construction. Destiny USA once had plans that included the Inner Harbor area. Plans for an aquarium, hotels, condos, Cabela's ...you name it. I haven't heard news about developing the Inner Harbor in years.

What would you like to see happen in the Inner Harbor area?

Photos I took of Syracuse's Inner Harbor 3 or 4 years ago....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 05:43 AM

97 posts, read 416,972 times
Every time I drive by that park I think about how nice it looks, but it's geographically isolated by all the highways on either side of it, plus it's not immediately accessible to any neighborhood. Maybe with a little work and a summer concert series people would start thinking of it as a place to go.

Even an unused park is better than unused industrial land, though, and I don't think you can argue with that.

Nice pictures, by the way, especially for the middle of January.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:17 PM

406 posts, read 1,451,298 times
I was thinking the same thing about the pics. I don't think you can have enough parks around a city, and would hate to see this area turned into a Disney clone. Better access is needed, the concert series idea is a good one.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:26 PM

Thanks!

Personally, I'd like to see....

1. The Inner Harbor built up for tourists. Why? What better place is there in Syracuse for tourist attractions....Carousel Mall is right there, the neighborhood is safe, it is in an urban environment, and it is on the water.

2. Build a few tourist attractions. Like what? How about an aquarium! A first rate museum of some sort. Exciting restaurants.

3. Hold festivals in the Inner Harbor year around. Why? Unlike downtown, there is more room to hold large festivals and concerts. There is grass, water and if done correct...tourists. Syracuse could even hold a winter carnival here like in Quebec City...that is if the weather stays cold enough.

4. Connect the Inner Harbor with the rest of the area's attractions. How? Run a small ferry from Onondaga Lake Park (or even B'ville) to the Inner Harbor during the summer. Finish the Creekwalk and connect it with the Loop the Lake Trail.

5. Build Hotels within walking distance of the Inner Harbor. Why? So out of town guests will have a place to stay where they can walk to many local attractions.

My vision for Syracuse's Inner Harbor is similar to a mini version of Baltimore's Inner Harbor. I'd like to use the Inner Harbor as a place to bring out-of-town relatives looking to stroll in a fun, safe, urban environment with nearby attractions.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:19 AM

New ideas for Inner Harbor sought
Developers can submit proposals for entire site or for individual parcels.

Friday, April 03, 2009
By Rick Moriarty
Staff writer

The Syracuse Lakefront Development Corp. and the state Canal Corp. today will release to the public its draft request for proposals for the development of the Syracuse Inner Harbor.

This is the third time the LDC and the Canal Corp. have issued a call to developers for proposals to develop the harbor, a former Barge Canal terminal between Franklin Square and the Carousel Center mall.

The state and the city would like to see the harbor transformed into a recreational, commercial and possibly residential attraction.

New ideas for Inner Harbor sought - syracuse.com

Old 04-07-2009, 02:40 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,621,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Thanks!

Personally, I'd like to see....

1. The Inner Harbor built up for tourists. Why? What better place is there in Syracuse for tourist attractions....Carousel Mall is right there, the neighborhood is safe, it is in an urban environment, and it is on the water.

2. Build a few tourist attractions. Like what? How about an aquarium! A first rate museum of some sort. Exciting restaurants.

3. Hold festivals in the Inner Harbor year around. Why? Unlike downtown, there is more room to hold large festivals and concerts. There is grass, water and if done correct...tourists. Syracuse could even hold a winter carnival here like in Quebec City...that is if the weather stays cold enough.

4. Connect the Inner Harbor with the rest of the area's attractions. How? Run a small ferry from Onondaga Lake Park (or even B'ville) to the Inner Harbor during the summer. Finish the Creekwalk and connect it with the Loop the Lake Trail.

5. Build Hotels within walking distance of the Inner Harbor. Why? So out of town guests will have a place to stay where they can walk to many local attractions.

My vision for Syracuse's Inner Harbor is similar to a mini version of Baltimore's Inner Harbor. I'd like to use the Inner Harbor as a place to bring out-of-town relatives looking to stroll in a fun, safe, urban environment with nearby attractions.
In addition to your thoughts, I would like to see upscale condos and townhouses on the same or even higher caliber than Mission Landing in Franklin Square. This would attract empty nesters, younger professionals, and potentially families that would send their kids to private schools. Adding high density, market rate and above housing in the Lakefront area is one of Syracuse's only chances of increasing population or stablizing the massive losses since this plot of land is one of the few large undeveloped parcels in a relatively safe neighborhood.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:33 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
I think they have had summer get togethers at the Inner Harbor. Here's a website that was used to publicize the "Block Party" they had there, which is moving to the Regional Market.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:35 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Here's a Master Plan for the the Lakefront:City of Syracuse (http://www.syracuse.ny.us/masterPlan.asp - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area