Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 06:42 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,423,627 times

Advertisements

Just an informative post. There really isn't many(if any) sites on the internet where you can see a list of chains for each US city. So I thought I'll do my part and list the chain restaurants currently in the Syracuse area. Just in case those browsing and thinking of relocating to the area are curious. This is City-DATA you know! (Please save the anti-chain/supporting local mom and pop restaurants comments for another thread. Thank You--)

Sit Down
Applebee's
Red Lobster
Ruby Tuesday
Chili's
Olive Garden
Denny's
Panera Bread
Smokey Bones BBQ
Pizzeria Uno
Friendly's
Fresno's
Tully's
Zebb's
Dinosaur Bar-B-Que
Ponderosa
Salsarita's Fresh Cantina
Cracker Barrel
TGI Friday's
Johnny Rockets
Chuck E. Cheese
Texas Roadhouse
Outback Steakhouse
Red Robin
Buffalo Wild Wings
IHOP
Bonefish Grill
Carrabba's Italian Grill
Nothing but Noodles

Fast Food
McDonalds
Burger King
Starbucks
Arby's
Taco Bell
A&W
Dunkin Donuts
Subway
Wendy's
KFC
Wingstop
Arthur Treacher's
Bruegger's Bagels
Quiznos
Papa John's
Pizza Hut
Domino's pizza
Little Caesars Pizza

(Believe it or not, when weighting the pros and cons of a city....chains can make a difference. For example, not too long ago in this very forum. The fact that Syracuse does not yet have a "Whole Foods" was a real factor for someone trying to decide between relocating to Syracuse or Connecticut.)

Also, finding a current list of all local restaurants is not easy. If anyone has info about the local Syracuse based restaurants, please feel free to post away.

If I'm missing a chain in my list, please let me know. Thanks for your cooperation!

Last edited by bellafinzi; 06-29-2008 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: update: added Nothing but Noodles to the list
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 08:37 PM

Chain Restaurants not in the Syracuse Market....yet are in either the Buffalo, Rochester or Albany markets.
  1. Famous Dave's
  2. Boston Market
  3. Dinner By Design
  4. Macaroni Grill
  5. Buca di Beppo
  6. Cinema Grill
  7. Fuddruckers
  8. Popeyes
  9. Manhattan Bagel
  10. Panda Express
  11. Cheesecake Factory
  12. Roadhouse Grill
  13. Champps Enterainment
  14. Long John Silver's
  15. Cheeburger Cheeburger
  16. P.F. Chang's China Bistro
  17. The Melting Pot
  18. Ben & Jerry's
  19. Bugaboo Creek Steakhouse
  20. Biaggi's Ristorante Italiano
  21. Atlanta Bread
  22. 99 Restaurant & Pub
  23. Old Country Buffet
  24. Perkins
  25. Houlihan's
  26. Jack Astor's
  27. Firkin & Fox
  28. Great Harvest Bread Co
  29. Old Chicago Pizza & Pasta

For some reason many restaurants just skip over the Syracuse area.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 06-30-2008 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: Old Country Buffet closed in the Syracuse area

Old 02-08-2008, 02:30 AM

97 posts, read 416,831 times
Cheesecake Factory and Bucca di Beppo are worth a visit, but I hate the idea of chain restaurants. The food is never that great, since you know you're not getting anything unique or local when you're served a good meal. Do people really make their home choices based on proximity to Olive Garden? (Not a rhetorical question)

I'd rather have Alto Cinco or Varsity Pizza any day, or Dinosaur Barbeque for that matter (yes, I know they opened a chain in Rochester). What are people's favorite everyday restaurants in the area, the non-white tablecloth establishments?

(I'll make this into it's own post, it's a bit of an aside)

Last edited by kmbell; 02-08-2008 at 02:57 AM..

Old 02-13-2008, 07:47 PM

2 posts, read 12,684 times
It is amazing to me that this area does not have Boston Market or Long John Silver's. I used to live right near a Boston Market in Sch'dy and that's one thing about there that I miss.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:21 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,367,565 times
you can move Old Country Buffet to the "not in syracuse" list. Both locations closed on Monday and Tuesday of this week.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
you can move Old Country Buffet to the "not in syracuse" list. Both locations closed on Monday and Tuesday of this week.
Thanks for the info! That's too bad.... Not that Old Country Buffet is a big deal, but unfortunately that means more people out of a job. Why does it seem like Syracuse is always taking one step forward and two steps back.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:43 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,367,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Thanks for the info! That's too bad.... Not that Old Country Buffet is a big deal, but unfortunately that means more people out of a job. Why does it seem like Syracuse is always taking one step forward and two steps back.
I agree with all points except when you said that Old Country Buffet isn't a big deal...it just so happens to be one of the few chain restaurants I enjoy eating at.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:04 PM

Tim Horton's rollout in the Syracuse market has begun! Looks like East Syracuse will be the first to see a Timmies in the area.

Very surprising. Only one Tim Horton's location for the northern burbs has been announced so far - Cicero. Haven't even seen any movement on that proposal either. Looks like they took down the coming soon sign a couple weeks ago. The northern suburbs are the most populated area of the Syracuse market. You'd think that many more Tim Horton's would be announced by now.

I just hope Tim Horton's doesn't make the same mistake that others in the past have by locating stores in either 1) out of the way locations or 2) hard to reach locations near busy intersections where it is difficult to drive in or out of the establishment. Also, I hope Tim Horton's does not judge the Syracuse market based how well it does in East Syracuse or the DeWitt area....or even the city or Camillus. Those areas are completely different than the northern suburbs. The Clay, Salina, Cicero, B'ville area is the real gauge of this market. If it doesn't do good in the northern suburbs, it probably will not do good in the rest of the market. On the other hand, you can not judge the Syracuse market based on how a store does in a city neighborhood or the eastern or western suburbs IMO.

A little off topic...I hear that Pavone's pizza is opening up another location in East Syracuse. Bad choice of the next locale. Too bad Pavone's pizza hasn't made its way back to the northern suburbs. I grew up eating at Pavone's pizza in Penn Can Mall back in the day. Since Penn Can Mall shut down in the early 90s, I've only eaten a Pavone's pizza a hand full of times. IMO still makes one of the better pizza's in town.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:00 PM

623 posts, read 1,816,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Tim Horton's rollout in the Syracuse market has begun! Looks like East Syracuse will be the first to see a Timmies in the area.

Very surprising. Only one Tim Horton's location for the northern burbs has been announced so far - Cicero. Haven't even seen any movement on that proposal either. Looks like they took down the coming soon sign a couple weeks ago. The northern suburbs are the most populated area of the Syracuse market. You'd think that many more Tim Horton's would be announced by now.

I just hope Tim Horton's doesn't make the same mistake that others in the past have by locating stores in either 1) out of the way locations or 2) hard to reach locations near busy intersections where it is difficult to drive in or out of the establishment. Also, I hope Tim Horton's does not judge the Syracuse market based how well it does in East Syracuse or the DeWitt area....or even the city or Camillus. Those areas are completely different than the northern suburbs. The Clay, Salina, Cicero, B'ville area is the real gauge of this market. If it doesn't do good in the northern suburbs, it probably will not do good in the rest of the market. On the other hand, you can not judge the Syracuse market based on how a store does in a city neighborhood or the eastern or western suburbs IMO.

A little off topic...I hear that Pavone's pizza is opening up another location in East Syracuse. Bad choice of the next locale. Too bad Pavone's pizza hasn't made its way back to the northern suburbs. I grew up eating at Pavone's pizza in Penn Can Mall back in the day. Since Penn Can Mall shut down in the early 90s, I've only eaten a Pavone's pizza a hand full of times. IMO still makes one of the better pizza's in town.

Pavones pizza was one of 4 reasons to go to Penn Can back in the day--Cavages, Arcade, Movies, and Pavones. Pavones is one of the best-if not the best pizza in Syracuse--thin crispy crust, dripping grease--I am home sick now. San Remo Pizza in liverpool (corner of bear and buckley) is a close second

You should do a list of mom and pop restraunts--beats chains anyday. From my list

Aunt Josies-Northside
Dominicks-Teall Ave
Twin Trees-North Syracuse

Old 06-29-2008, 09:21 PM

Oh, I forgot to add one. Nothing but Noodles just opened a location on Erie Blvd in DeWitt. I wish them luck! Erie Blvd is the last place I'd open a chain restaurant. Reasons: 1) Most city residents and eastern suburb residents aren't into chain restaurants. 2) Erie Blvd East is a major eyesore that is avoided by most people that do not need venture down there. 3) residents of the northern suburbs very rarely frequent Erie Blvd for shopping or dining.

If a chain believes it can capture the entire Syracuse market with a location on Erie Blvd.... they judge incorrectly. The Syracuse market north of I-90 rarely shops in the eastern suburbs or on Erie Blvd East.

jrice, how neat is that! The Arcade, Movies, Pavones, and the pet store were the main places my family would frequent in Penn Can Mall. Just slightly different.

San Remo Pizza is good, I agree. Though in the past couple years they have gone downhill a little.

Chains are easy to list. Very hard to compile an up-to-date comprehensive list of mom and pop restaurants. That's one reason I chose to focus on chains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area