Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 01:31 PM

175 posts, read 549,975 times

Advertisements

I like the old-time atmosphere at Webers and the food is pretty good. Definately better than Danzers.

There are no great chinese restaurants in Syracuse. China Road is ok, and China Cafe in Manlius is good but I've eaten there so much I'm a little tired of it. They have lots of things on the menu, but there is a sameness to the food. There are no great regional chinese restaurants like you get in San Francisco or NYC.

There is no authentic mexican food in Syracuse. I've never had a really good meal at Mission. Alto Cinco is very americanized, but is mildly tasty. The new upscale tex-mex place in Fayetteville is ok too, but very pricey for what you get. As an ex Californian, I miss real mexican food.

There are red sauce italian restaurants that are ok, but the food is not great. I like the pizza, atmosphere, and prices at Angotti's.

Dino has good food, but unusually long crowded waits to get in.

I hope someone posts something great that I have not tried. We need more genuine ethnic restaurants and fewer boring chains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 03:42 PM

97 posts, read 416,972 times
There is a new place on Erie Blvd., El Canelo. It's authentic but I don't know how good the food is, I hear it's a chain.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:57 PM

93,397 posts, read 124,052,832 times
There used to be Jalapeno's, but something happened with them in terms of money. El Canelo is a chain as there is one in Cicero and there is or used to be one in Auburn. I think there was one on Route 57 in Liverpool too, but might not be there. Another good sit down Chinese place is the one in Westvale Plaza, but the name escapes me right now.

I want to try one of the Vietnamese and Indian spots, but I don't know what to expect. Same with the Korean restaurant on Erie Boulevard.

I also wish there was a Soul Food restaurant to check out too since Ruby's shut down in the Valley.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:13 AM

33 posts, read 175,900 times
I'm from California originally and miss Mexican food too. Not really authentic Mexican food but California style Mexican.

El Canelo on Erie has been there for at least a year because they were here when I got here. I ate there once, not impressed. Kind of bland. It was not the worst Mexican food I ever had, that was at Jalapenos. I got takeout from them and couldn't eat more than a few bites of my burrito. It tasted of stale lard.

Boom Boom Mex Mex on Onondaga Hill is good and very similar to some places in California. I'd go there more often but it's really out of my way.

I like Alto Cinco - at least I like their BBQ tofu burrito because I have been there three times and keep ordering it. They have a nice atmosphere but it gets very crowded. If I go there I would go very early.

Papa Gallo in Fayetteville is kind of snooty. Food is ok, but expensive and long waits. We have had some bad service there. Both times we ate there it was crowded and we were ignored for long stretches of time by the waitstaff. The last time we ate there our waiter spent all his time with a table of his friends hanging out and talking. We had to flag down other waitstaff to help us.

The Mission is beautiful inside, food is ok. I've always gotten good service there but I know a lot of people who have gotten horrible service so I'm a little wary of it.

Ponchitos on New Court Avenue is supposed to be good. I'm going to try them next.

For Indian I like Sahota Palace in Liverpool.

I also like Lemon Grass in Downtown Syracuse for Thai, but I try not to go there often because it's so expensive.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:25 AM

I never got the food from Jalapenos take out, but the sit down restaurant I thought was good before they closed it.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:09 PM

Another good spot is Eva's European Sweets in Solvay on Milton Ave. near the Syracuse border. Good Polish food and I believe the owner is originally from Poland too.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:45 PM

175 posts, read 549,975 times
El canelo is an upstate ny chain. Not authentic, and not very good (I've eaten there a few times).

I have not heard of boom boom mex mex - anyone have an address? Might be worth a try.

I've tried ponchitos a couple of times, and thought it was bad. I had my hopes up, but was disappointed. We make better tasting mexican at home.

I agree that Ava's is good for simple Polish - nice atmosphere and reasonable prices. I'm just not in the mood for Polish that often.

I tried New Century vietnamese last night, and had a decent meal. I'll go back.

I've been to Sahota Palace a couple of times, and was not impressed.

Papa Gallo was the place I mentioned in fayetteville. It's tex-mex, not real mex. I thought the food was good but very overpriced for what you get. They even charge extra for chips and salsa.

Korean restaurant on Erie (Secret Garden) has nice atmosphere, but is overpriced and only ok. There is also a recent Korean restaurant in an old house near the university (on Fayette maybe). Family run, but not great either. I like the Korean place on the second floor near of Marshall street the best of the three.

Last edited by Classicalguy; 08-16-2008 at 04:59 PM..

Old 08-17-2008, 10:30 AM

33 posts, read 175,900 times
Boom Boom Mex Mex
3263 Howlett Hill Road
Phone: 673-1151

Old 08-20-2008, 07:07 AM

51 posts, read 141,737 times
I really like A La Mode Cafe. My wifes friends own it and they make great sandwiches and wraps, plus you get a fresh baked cookie with your sandwich. I always got here to get an Italian Stallion whenever I visit Syracuse.

Welcome

Old 08-20-2008, 11:10 AM

55 posts, read 241,685 times
What other Indian alternatives are there besides Sahota Palace? The only other place I know of is Samrat on South Crouse... or the occasional (and not very good) chicken tikka at the Wegmans Oriental Bar.

I very much appreciate A La Mode's chicken cordon bleu! It's nice to have a simple sandwich choice instead of ones overpacked with stuff that falls out all over the place.

While we're ragging on Fayetteville eateries, may I put in a bad word for the gourmet pizza place at Fayetteville Town Center? I have had some of the snottiest service of my life in that establishment.

Last edited by twentyfour01; 08-20-2008 at 11:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area