Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 05:41 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,828,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I get your point, but this is where the type of community comes into play. Are people just "rude" in NYC or is it a matter of having to live in a fast pace environment with millions of other people in a relatively small space?

To bring it back to Syracuse, you can have your pessimism, but you also have your optimistic folks as well. Then, you have those can go either way or are even keeled.
I think its both. You have to be somewhat rude to not get taken advantage of. In the beehive, you have to sting or be stung. You always hear NYers (and I mean downstate) saying "I don't take no chit from anybody".

Personally, I found the range of people Upstate to fall from cold / smug / unwelcoming to downright friendly and downhome as you travel the Thruway east to west. Albany/Schenetady/Troy sorry to say, not all that friendly. Utica a lil less so. Syracuse people were friendly, IMO. Rochester and Buffalo people were definitely more helpful and welcoming, almost Midwestern.

The coldness from New England and the rudeness from NYC/NJ radiates only so far. Once you get past Harrisburg in PA and start to see Steelers shirts, the whole attitude changes. Its palpable. In NY, I'd put the dividing line around Binghamton / Ithaca area. Keep in mind that this is just my personal assessment, and I have some different ideas about different parts of the country that most people would think are crazy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The more you know View Post
This is a very accurate statement and one of the many reasons why I'm moving south. I have found I blend very well in Florida and South Carolina. I just hoping the rude folks don't follow me.
In 2013, I found Raleigh Durham to be pretty laid back and friendly, with nice drivers and courtesy.

In 2016, I went back and found it completely overrun with NY/NJ/LI everywhere. Driving was like driving on the LIE and it was only slightly better than Atlanta. Such a shame.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
When I was younger I used to crisscross the country on my motorcycle.

I'd say the West was where people are the nicest.

The South has always been very good to me. One funny this to me is when in Florida the ex NYers are always nice. When I was a kid NY was full of nice people. Now I know where they disappeared to.

A wild guess is that as the nice NYers die off and the nasty NYers that make up the current bunch move South Florida will take a turn for the worse.

BTW its Upstaters I consider unpleasant. Downstaters I find to be always in a hurry but always civil.

But you get Montana, SD or Wyoming way I find the people to be just how people should be.

The far West, Left coast, I think the people are nice but maybe alittle weird. Lotta pot that way so maybe its that.
I think America has also gotten ruder and less concerned with others as time goes on. As a whole. But yes, I do think there are significant differences in the regions.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:00 PM

16 posts, read 17,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
In 2013, I found Raleigh Durham to be pretty laid back and friendly, with nice drivers and courtesy.

In 2016, I went back and found it completely overrun with NY/NJ/LI everywhere. Driving was like driving on the LIE and it was only slightly better than Atlanta. Such a shame.
Someone my wife and I knew moved to Durham. We couldn't wait for her to go so we wouldn't have to speak with her again.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:47 AM

5 posts, read 6,596 times
Default Gasoline Station at 1001 Butternut St Syracuse NY 13208

• Syracuse Herald Journal
  • Issue Date: July 17, 1945
Article about John Letter who owned a gas station for 25 years in Syracuse NY located at 1001 Butternut St beginning about 1922. The caption on his picture states that he has pumped over 4 million gallons of gasoline.

Click image for larger version

Name:	syracuse-herald-journal-Jul-17-1945-p-4.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	928.5 KB
ID:	211006

Last edited by richardwalters; 05-17-2019 at 08:09 AM..

Old 05-17-2019, 08:06 AM

Default 1928 Adverstisement mentioning John Letter Gas Station located a 1001 Butternut St Syracuse NY 13208

Attached Thumbnails
What do you love & hate about Syracuse, NY? (Thinking of moving there)-syracuse-herald-jun-22-1928-p  

Old 06-06-2019, 01:33 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,582,753 times
not sure what the clippings have to do with the topic?

Old 06-16-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
not sure what the clippings have to do with the topic?
I love the history of Syracuse NY.

Old 06-16-2019, 05:18 PM

I guess later on it became Bud's Gulf Station which operated at 1001 Butternut St until about 1974, in Syracuse NY. They sold your regular petroleum and oil that you'd find in at any gas station. I remember Bud used to park his 1957 chevy out front when I was a kid on the Northside.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:25 PM

423 posts, read 459,075 times
From an outside viewpoint there isn’t much. I mean you have some very good grocery stores(wegmans) and one of the better malls in the US(destiny), 4 hours from NYC, 2 hours from buffalo, you have Canada not too far away. Ithaca makes a good day trip, lots of natural lakes to boat on. Weather isn’t too extreme. Lots of history and the place is somewhat lively. Being in my early 20s SU campus is always lit on a Friday or Saturday night.

But at the same time I grew up here so I overlook some of the downsides such as fairly long winters, not much to do within the area.

I work in Little Rock Arkansas 11 months out of the year and being there I really start to appreciate how good Syracuse is. But I also see some similarities too, such as fairly weak night life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area