Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2008, 07:18 PM

93,620 posts, read 124,349,112 times

Advertisements

If so, what could we do to attract people to spend time at them? Here's an article that goes into this further:Syracuse New Times - The Central New York Alternative, Local Bands & Events Calendar - Hidden Jewels
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 12:04 PM

3,523 posts, read 9,438,128 times
The main reasons that people do not spend much time in city parks is the fear of crime and the lack of middle class young families who live in the city.

You should see the parks in the Town of Clay. Quite the contrast. The large park closest to my neighborhood... Clay Park South... is often packed during the week with various activities like little league, soccer games, softball games, baseball games, people playing tennis and during the winter sledding is very popular.

I've been to a few city parks and I couldn't even tell you where the parking is located. Why not trying giving people a convenient, safe, well lit, clearly marked, large parking lot next to every park in the city? Most parking lots I've seen in the city are so small and hard to get in and out of...most people go once and don't bother going back since parking is such a hassle and it feels so cramped.

The city may not realize this yet, but most suburban people feel unwanted in the city since everything is made more difficult than it should be there....like parking, getting around, and folks sitting in their front yard starring at you as you drive by. The whole atmosphere of the city makes you want to leave as quickly as possible. If you can change that, you'll attract more people to live in the city and use its' park system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area