Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 08:16 AM

991 posts, read 4,629,416 times

Advertisements

How is Deruyter? I found a home by lake how is the area? the schools do not look so great is that true thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 08:44 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,782,373 times
No. LOL - just no.

DeRuyter Lake is okay for a vacation/summer house but... just no. I'm from the Fabius-Pompey area, which is much nicer. F-P is on the outskirts of Onondaga County - the southeasternmost tip of it... and while people from Syracuse would joke about us being Hillbillys - because there were farms and four wheeling/snowmobiling is very popular - the vast majority of those in DeRuyter... are. And from my experience, it's not the nice farmer boy kind of country... it's the shoot a deer from your '79 pickup in the middle of a corn field while drinking Keystone/bags of chips and ashtrays at the wedding reception after getting married in the driveway under a white plastic arch with fake ivy on it kind of country.

And yes, this is from experience. LOL - I did not miss my boyfriend's DeRuyter cousins when we broke up. :P

Old 11-10-2008, 11:04 AM

125 posts, read 435,282 times
OMG...DeRuter is so far out there...I think they have to climb up the telephone poles in order to make a phone call!!! (ala Green Acres)

Old 11-10-2008, 02:50 PM

94,596 posts, read 125,701,098 times
Yeah, it is very rural. I couldn't believe this, but when I was in the Army, I met a guy from DeRuyter. He told me that he never met a Black person until he went into the Army. I couldn't believe this when he told me. So, take that however you like.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:24 AM

thanks for the responses, sounds to rural for me, how is the village of Manilus?

Old 11-11-2008, 10:05 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,782,373 times
If you do a search in the Syracuse forum for Manlius, you'll get a LOT of information. I also posted pictures of the Village of Manlius a few weeks ago... it shouldn't be too far down the thread title page.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:06 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,596,527 times
Manlius is probably the most upscale area you can live in CNY outside of Cazenovia or Skaneateles.

although do not condemn DeRuyter people for not having met a black person until joining the Army. It's a rural area. There just aren't very many black people who live on farms in the country in this part of NY. It doesn't automatically mean they're all racist.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:44 AM

Okay thanks for all the information one more I am scrambling to find a rental, How is Midland rd area in Syracuse itself? Just want to know if it issafe, I plan on sending the children to Catholic schools,

Old 11-14-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
Manlius is probably the most upscale area you can live in CNY outside of Cazenovia or Skaneateles.

although do not condemn DeRuyter people for not having met a black person until joining the Army. It's a rural area. There just aren't very many black people who live on farms in the country in this part of NY. It doesn't automatically mean they're all racist.
I never brought up that anyone was racist. No need to jump the gun. I understand how things are set up socially, but I thought about where do they go to shop or do they ever come to Syracuse for anything? Some might not need to, but it isn't THAT far away either.

Also, as far as upscale, Onondaga Hill in the Westhill school district is up there as well as parts of DeWitt in the Jamesville-DeWitt school district. Radisson in the Baldwinsville school district and many parts of the Fremont area in the East Syracuse-Minoa SD are close too. In the city of Syracuse, Strathmore, Scottholm, Sedgewick and the Meadowbrook/Bradford Hills neighborhoods are the most upscale.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
Okay thanks for all the information one more I am scrambling to find a rental, How is Midland rd area in Syracuse itself? Just want to know if it issafe, I plan on sending the children to Catholic schools,
Is it Midland Road or Midland AVE., in which the latter is in the city. If it is Midland Avenue, south of Ballantine Road is fine and north of Ballantine isn't iffy for a few blocks or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area