Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 03:16 PM

93,386 posts, read 124,009,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaelon56 View Post
In this area there are folks pulled over for DWB but typically it usually happens in areas where there's a significant amount of street level drug dealing and the officers who work the neighborhood see a car that they don't recognize as being an okay person who lives in the neighborhood (and for those who may doubt my contention about the limited DWB issue in this area - I have respectable and very close friends who are black and have been pulled over for no reasons on multiple occasions - yes it really does happen)

I sincerely doubt that pullovers for DWH are very common in this area of at all. The more typical practice in Syracuse and the surrounding suburbs that's related to people being pulled over for no reason or flimsy reasons has everything to do with the type and appearance of the vehicle and little if anything to do with race or ethnicity.

If your vehicle has tinted windows, ground effects, spinners, a flashy set of 20's, a stereo slamming out bass notes that shake the ground around the car... or any combination of those things - you can expect to get pulled over on general principle occasionallly no matter who you are.

Syracuse has a very small Mexican population. The majority of newer residents who are Spanish speaking tend to be from Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic with a very small number from Central America, Cuba, Spain or South America. In my experience you'll find that people here most often assume only that you have some Hispanic ancestors if you have a Hispanic sounding name and don't tend to make other assumptions.
Just to add to the "Hispanic" comments, many people might not know that in Solvay, you will find some Spanish surnames as well. These people aren't necessarily "Hispanic" in the stereotypical sense and are more "White" looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 04:28 PM

10 posts, read 45,986 times
Im glad you started this thread.

I too used to live in Arizona.. lots of prettty.. but thousands of miles of ulgy...lol.. at the moment im in asheville nc.. i do not like it here and am also eyeing CNY.. rome/utica/syracuse.. dont matter.. im a CNA.. there's always work... i was wondering what type of fuel is most used to heat the homes?

oh..lol...and who wants to chaparone me around at christmas? lol.. I think im gonna take the amtrak so my 6 yr old with Down syndrome can see the train.. etc..and SNOW!!!

But mostly i just wonderabout the fuel..and average cost per month to heat a 3 bdroom.. i too am gonna move next spring/summer.. even if i want to leave today.. i dont want to be a SOUTH person anymore.. 7 yrs is long enuff.. im from chicago and burbs.. i just want a real neighboorhood and sidewalks.. and..4 seasons

Last edited by Bubbette; 07-23-2009 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: forgot a word..lol

Old 07-23-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbette View Post
Im glad you started this thread.

I too used to live in Arizona.. lots of prettty.. but thousands of miles of ulgy...lol.. at the moment im in asheville nc.. i do not like it here and am also eyeing CNY.. rome/utica/syracuse.. dont matter.. im a CNA.. there's always work... i was wondering what type of fuel is most used to heat the homes?

oh..lol...and who wants to chaparone me around at christmas? lol.. I think im gonna take the amtrak so my 6 yr old with Down syndrome can see the train.. etc..and SNOW!!!

But mostly i just wonderabout the fuel..and average cost per month to heat a 3 bdroom.. i too am gonna move next spring/summer.. even if i want to leave today.. i dont want to be a SOUTH person anymore.. 7 yrs is long enuff.. im from chicago and burbs.. i just want a real neighboorhood and sidewalks.. and..4 seasons
Check here for heating information: Welcome to National Grid

Old 07-24-2009, 05:15 AM

845 posts, read 1,688,284 times
Also see this current thread on utility costs //www.city-data.com/forum/syrac...utilities.html

Old 07-24-2009, 08:13 AM

10 posts, read 45,986 times

Thanks!!! I see more threads now... but thanks for answering.. both of ya's

Old 07-24-2009, 02:05 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,580,317 times
I like to tell people that CNY is a place where the 20th century never ended. It's that sort of less hectic pace of life.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,676 times
I have lived in the syracuse area for all my life, about 30 years. I am Native american , and went to mostly all white schools. I have been mistaken for being "hispanic" many times throughout my life. People, especially hispanic people, will talk to me in spanish all the time! I can definatly see how you could get frustrated with that! My children are mixed, Native and white, and they go to a mostly all white school and also get frustrated even though they look white. Kids see me and pick on them for what I look like. Its a very hard situation to deal with and trying to explain to my children that its ok to be different than other kids!

Old 03-31-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkillian View Post
I have lived in the syracuse area for all my life, about 30 years. I am Native american , and went to mostly all white schools. I have been mistaken for being "hispanic" many times throughout my life. People, especially hispanic people, will talk to me in spanish all the time! I can definatly see how you could get frustrated with that! My children are mixed, Native and white, and they go to a mostly all white school and also get frustrated even though they look white. Kids see me and pick on them for what I look like. Its a very hard situation to deal with and trying to explain to my children that its ok to be different than other kids!
There isn't wrong with them or their background. I think it can be a thing of immaturity or the lack of understanding, which hopefully comes as the children get older.

I also think it depends on the school too. You would see more children with a background similar to your children's at schools in LaFayette or in the Onondaga Central school district. Both have higher than usual Native American student enrollments, especially LaFayette.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:51 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magicians Eye View Post
Any help or advice would be great. Right now things seemed to be priced way to good to be true.
Housing is cheap because nobody is really moving here. Yes it is cheap, but as a percentage of home value, CNY has some of the worst property taxes in the country

The Tax Foundation - The Post-Standard Interviews Tax Foundation Manager of Media Relations Natasha Altamirano on Property Tax Rankings

Old 04-06-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Housing is cheap because nobody is really moving here. Yes it is cheap, but as a percentage of home value, CNY has some of the worst property taxes in the country

The Tax Foundation - The Post-Standard Interviews Tax Foundation Manager of Media Relations Natasha Altamirano on Property Tax Rankings
People haven't really been leaving either. While some have left, it has been very slight.

Also, while the property taxes are up there they aren't even the worst in the state. So, costs really even out, if not actually end up being cheaper here when looking with a bigger picture perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area