Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 10:29 PM

2 posts, read 7,438 times

Advertisements

thank you so much. it really helps me allot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 06:03 PM

3,524 posts, read 9,439,012 times
You're welcome crazylilthinx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt l View Post
That's bizarre - most of my favourite tv programs hail from t'other side of the pond!!! ER, Friends, Sopranos, Extreme Makeover Home Edition (love Paige & Tanya ) - swap yer!!!!

I need to find a nice American girl while i'm over in September, fall in love and move there - looks lovely in Liverpool and it would be easy for me to remember where I lived!!
I'm quite the opposite. I find most tv programs in the States "debbie downers"...always negative, always problems to overcome, always degrading. European or Australian tv programs tend to be a little more upbeat, classy, and inspiring.

For some reason I feel as though I'm more connected to European culture than to the American "culture". Never been to Europe, but if most places in Europe are anything like Quebec City and Montreal (which are my favorite two cities) then I'm sure Europe is great. It's easier for me to relate with Europeans or Canadians than with NYC natives (who live in my own state)....always thought that was strange...to feel like a foreigner in my own State.

Still trying to figure out how to steal about 50,000 Montrealians and relocate them to the Syracuse area.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:16 AM

17 posts, read 78,509 times
Onondaga Lake is indeed quite polluted but it used to be a lot lot worse (in terms of color, smell, etc). Liverpool is a nice place to be if you want to enjoy the activities at Onondaga Lake Park (rollerblading, bicycling, skateboarding and other fitness fanatic related things). There is also a very good public library there, and decent neighborhood restaurants. The traffic can be a bit zooey though but that's just through the center of the village. (is Liverpool a village?)

I love the view of the city of Syracuse across the lake... rather unique in NY state where many small towns have their own lake, but not too many large cities do. (yes, Buffalo is on Lake Erie but you can't go across the lake and gaze upon it from the
other side!)

Old 07-31-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringtail View Post
is Liverpool a village?
Indeed it is. Village of Liverpool Home Page

Old 07-31-2007, 08:26 PM

I was passing by and took a few photos of a small housing development in Salina. Sorry, not the greatest photos....

Hopefully that drainage ditch area will see some upkeep. So many other older drainage ditches in the Syracuse area grow wild and really detract from the beauty of the neighborhoods.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:46 AM

17 posts, read 78,509 times
Bellafinzi... just wondering... why do you always post photos of ugly, soulless new developments when you are posting pictures of Syracuse area towns? Why don't you ever post pictures of older suburban homes?

Syracuse suburbs have very nice older homes too. These pictures tend to make the Syracuse area look like a sterile exurban wasteland. It's anything but.

Sorry to be critical, but I just can't help noticing. I will try to get out and take some pictures of the REAL Syracuse area.

Moderator cut: original user name: NYCO

Last edited by bellafinzi; 08-03-2007 at 11:51 AM..

Old 08-01-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringtail View Post
Bellafinzi... just wondering... why do you always post photos of ugly, soulless new developments when you are posting pictures of Syracuse area towns? Why don't you ever post pictures of older suburban homes?

Syracuse suburbs have very nice older homes too. These pictures tend to make the Syracuse area look like a sterile exurban wasteland. It's anything but.

Sorry to be critical, but I just can't help noticing. I will try to get out and take some pictures of the REAL Syracuse area.
That's your opinion. If everyone thought the new homes in these developments were "ulgy and soulless" no one would buy them.

I already answered your question on the Cicero photo thread. This is what I said:

-----------------------------------------
There are a few reasons I take so many pictures of the "new stuff" instead of the "old stuff". #1) Growth and development is something I enjoy tracking. I also don't like stagnant places. #2) I want to see the Syracuse area attract more families that favor growing places...sprawl and all. Today, there are way too many people in this area that hate change and new development. #3) I'd like to help dispel the area's bad image. Yes, there ARE people out there that believe the Syracuse Area is just a small, dying, depressed, college town with nothing to offer. I know... I met these people in college. I hear stories all the time about people from downstate believing the Syracuse area is all closed factories, run-down buildings, cows and farms. Then they visit the Syracuse suburbs and see that this area is much like the suburbs of any major city (minus the traffic jams).
--------------------------------------------------

Feel free to take and post your photos of the Syracuse suburbs in my threads. Or if you'd like, you may create your own threads. Please post all the info/pics you wish about our community, that's our main goal with this site, people helping people with advice about "whats it like" in any given area.

Old 08-12-2007, 02:15 AM

15 posts, read 123,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
You're welcome crazylilthinx!

I'm quite the opposite. I find most tv programs in the States "debbie downers"...always negative, always problems to overcome, always degrading. European or Australian tv programs tend to be a little more upbeat, classy, and inspiring.

For some reason I feel as though I'm more connected to European culture than to the American "culture". Never been to Europe, but if most places in Europe are anything like Quebec City and Montreal (which are my favorite two cities) then I'm sure Europe is great. It's easier for me to relate with Europeans or Canadians than with NYC natives (who live in my own state)....always thought that was strange...to feel like a foreigner in my own State.

Still trying to figure out how to steal about 50,000 Montrealians and relocate them to the Syracuse area.
Different strokes for different folks and all that, I guess it's what makes the world go round and creates the diversity we have. Although we must just export the real classy programs cos most of the television which is homegrown is docudrama's (fly on the wall) or reality tv shows - not very inspiring to watch.

Europe is a lovely place. So much history to be found and some real gems off the beaten track of the usual tourist haunts.

If you need a UK base for a european vacation, drop me a line - I can show you the sights around the north west no worries (much nicer than London :-) )

Old 09-18-2007, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt l View Post
Different strokes for different folks and all that, I guess it's what makes the world go round and creates the diversity we have. Although we must just export the real classy programs cos most of the television which is homegrown is docudrama's (fly on the wall) or reality tv shows - not very inspiring to watch.

Europe is a lovely place. So much history to be found and some real gems off the beaten track of the usual tourist haunts.

If you need a UK base for a european vacation, drop me a line - I can show you the sights around the north west no worries (much nicer than London :-) )
Thanks for the offer!

One of my all-time favorite reality programs is Shipwreck Battle of the Islands, which was on BBC America On Demand not too long ago. The US version... Survivor Island is way too cut-throat and negative for me. It's strange, I never liked or watched US sitcoms, yet sometimes I find myself watching "Coupling" or "Keeping up appearances". I guess I'm much more in-tune with British humor than American humor.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:40 PM

Famous Heid's Hot Dogs on youtube

YouTube - Please Pass the Salt Potatoes - Heid's Hot Dogs Liverpool NY

A very short video of Liverpool

YouTube - PHIL BIMPSON

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area