Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 06:38 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,816,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsoon2020 View Post
So true. Can't imagine taking a 5 year old PC anywhere and having the original store look at it and diagnose it for free. They'd just laugh and toss the junk in the trash.
And Macs aren't governed by Moore's Law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 09:22 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,988,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
And Macs aren't governed by Moore's Law?
Nah, they still are. However, this isn't what the previous comment was referring to.

Apple's Genius Bar is live tech support, for free, who's primary concern is NOT seeing how much they can upsell products and services to the customer like a certain squad of geeks. This kind of customer service is absolutely the opposite of the PC market, in almost all the tech support is not only outsourced, but limited too. Out of warranty and have a question? Break out your wallet. Want someone live to check it out? Break out your wallet.

Is this kind of service necessary for everyone? No. Is it necessary for many? No. It is for a handful? Perhaps. Any which way, they Apple made customer service accessible and available for those who need it, and that's a very welcome change to "Press 1 for ..." or having to understand someone in which English is not their primary language.

This is why there are folks who will pay the premium for an Apple computer. Not for the hardware or the looks, but for the service if they need it. It's an aspect that PC users rarely want to admit, since it does say defeat.

(FWIW, I've been working on PCs since the days when a fast computer was a turbo XT, running at 10 MHz. 320x200 4-color CGA optional.)

Old 03-23-2011, 09:26 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,019,571 times
Quote:
I'm looking to get into iWorks, does it have the option to save to pdf from .doc in the print menu like in MS Office? The only reason I was using MS Office was for Excel.
yes. it can write to pdf

Old 03-23-2011, 11:10 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,302,509 times
Most people greatly overestimate the amount of word processing that they think they’ll do vs. what they actually do. I really like iWork, but the way. It combines desktop publishing with word processing. You could do similar layouts in Word, but it’s so much easier in Pages.

The real question is: Where will you be using the device? The iPad is great on a bus/train/plane, in the kitchen, in bed, etc. A laptop is better if you’re sitting at a desk/table. Laptops have become portable desktops whereas tablets are truly mobile devices.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:57 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,255,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Most people greatly overestimate the amount of word processing that they think they’ll do vs. what they actually do. I really like iWork, but the way. It combines desktop publishing with word processing. You could do similar layouts in Word, but it’s so much easier in Pages.

The real question is: Where will you be using the device? The iPad is great on a bus/train/plane, in the kitchen, in bed, etc. A laptop is better if you’re sitting at a desk/table. Laptops have become portable desktops whereas tablets are truly mobile devices.
I generally agree...but the Pages "app" is $9.95 for the iPad, and if you use a wireless keyboard and prop up the iPad with either the foldable cover or with a stand, it is really not much different (...depending on the quality of wireless keyboard, I suppose).

Old 03-23-2011, 01:36 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,775,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I generally agree...but the Pages "app" is $9.95 for the iPad, and if you use a wireless keyboard and prop up the iPad with either the foldable cover or with a stand, it is really not much different (...depending on the quality of wireless keyboard, I suppose).
Like this keyboard? http://jornostore.com/?gclid=CMbYkKC25acCFQEHbAodlSVb8w

Old 03-23-2011, 01:49 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,019,571 times
all sorts of after market products for the ipod/iphone/ipad

Old 03-23-2011, 03:37 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,695,144 times
Quote:
I'm going to be buying a new computer and I'm weighing my options. I can get a brand new macbook for $900 or the ipad 2 for $499. Is it worth spending the extra $400 for the macbook? Is the ipad just a glorified iphone?

I am primarily going to be using my computer for surfing the web. The only thing I would require is the ability to create Word docs that can be converted to pdfs and excel spreadsheets.

All advice appreciated.

At the end of the day the MacBook will do more than the ipad ever could which will be important if your needs ever go outside of the ipad design intent....and they will from time to time.

To make the price more even steven buy a refurb MacBook (full Apple warranty) here...........
MacBook - Apple Store (U.S.)

(Tip: If you see a MacBook listed that you want BUY IT NOW! since they sell fast)

Old 03-23-2011, 04:26 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,280,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
At the end of the day the MacBook will do more than the ipad ever could which will be important if your needs ever go outside of the ipad design intent....and they will from time to time.

To make the price more even steven buy a refurb MacBook (full Apple warranty) here...........
MacBook - Apple Store (U.S.)

(Tip: If you see a MacBook listed that you want BUY IT NOW! since they sell fast)

Thanks for posting this. I'm going to buy 2 refurb'ed iphone 4's soon but I never think to check on refurbished computers.

Maybe next year I'll buy my wife a 13" MBP. $300 savings isn't too bad.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:50 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,540,404 times
MB Pro if you can, the MB....iPad is cool but really no replacement for a laptop, PC unless all you do is browse and use a PC for entertainment.

I love my MB Pro but I also have PCs. Much prefer the Mac
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets