Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 09:31 PM

230 posts, read 621,670 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be buying a new computer and I'm weighing my options. I can get a brand new macbook for $900 or the ipad 2 for $499. Is it worth spending the extra $400 for the macbook? Is the ipad just a glorified iphone?

I am primarily going to be using my computer for surfing the web. The only thing I would require is the ability to create Word docs that can be converted to pdfs and excel spreadsheets.

All advice appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 10:02 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Neither.

Get a little mini laptop/netbook, something like what I bought from Dell Outlet. More like $250. It's a real computer, runs windows 7, has a built in 3G mobile broadband card as well as 802.11g in it, USB ports, even HDMI out. Perfect for surfing and running Office applications. I surf the net while riding in my vanpool. It's great.

Here's an example of what I'm writing about:

Dell Factory Outlet

Old 03-17-2011, 10:18 PM

230 posts, read 621,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Neither.

Get a little mini laptop/netbook, something like what I bought from Dell Outlet. More like $250. It's a real computer, runs windows 7, has a built in 3G mobile broadband card as well as 802.11g in it, USB ports, even HDMI out. Perfect for surfing and running Office applications. I surf the net while riding in my vanpool. It's great.

Here's an example of what I'm writing about:

Dell Factory Outlet
I'm sorry, I will never ever buy another PC again. I had one my freshman year of college and it was a garbage...err...Sony Vaio. The thing kept freezing and finally broke. And silly me, I didn't learn my lesson so I bought a Dell.
I might as well have flushed my money down a toilet.

When I made the switch to Mac, well, you get what you pay for. I had my macbook for 5+ years until it finally died and never had a single issue until it died. Even though I dropped it several times and did other very bad things to it.
I'm not attached to everything Apple but they make some fantastic computers.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:21 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
Thats fine Charles, but some people just like Macs, and will pay a SMALL premium for a Mac. just hold any apple product and you will instantly feel the difference in quality with out even having to turn it on. And contrary to the narrow-mind set of PC fan boys, iPads, iMacs, MacBooks and all other Macs are REAL computers.

Going back to the OP. It depends on your needs. iPads are not really productivity tools, but there are many apps that will allow you to do spreadsheets, docs, presentations, simple photo editing and then some. I don't think there is an actual MS word app, but there are plenty of tools that will write to.doc

You may be better off with a Mac Book in the long run.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:58 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsoon2020 View Post
I'm sorry, I will never ever buy another PC again. I had one my freshman year of college and it was a garbage...err...Sony Vaio. The thing kept freezing and finally broke. And silly me, I didn't learn my lesson so I bought a Dell.
I might as well have flushed my money down a toilet.

When I made the switch to Mac, well, you get what you pay for. I had my macbook for 5+ years until it finally died and never had a single issue until it died. Even though I dropped it several times and did other very bad things to it.
I'm not attached to everything Apple but they make some fantastic computers.
Funny how some people have such terrible experiences, yet most others don't. Maybe some people just aren't capable of using a PC without screwing it up.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:12 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,982,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Funny how some people have such terrible experiences, yet most others don't. Maybe some people just aren't capable of using a PC without screwing it up.
... or one can just chalk it up to statistics. Look at cars ... even the most reliable of brands still manage to put out lemons from time to time. And in terms of reliability, neither Sony nor Dell are tops.

Besides, don't we have enough Mac vs. PC debates already?

Old 03-18-2011, 12:53 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsoon2020 View Post
I am primarily going to be using my computer for surfing the web. The only thing I would require is the ability to create Word docs that can be converted to pdfs and excel spreadsheets.
MacBook.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:15 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
MacBook.
The iPad is a wonderful addition to your other computer(s), but if it must be one or the other, then MacBook, or possibly the new MacBook Air.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:41 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Macbook

Old 03-18-2011, 07:48 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
So, posters are recommending the original poster spend $900 or so ($600 for the computer and $300 for his share of Apple marketing costs) so he can surf the web and run office applications.

That's nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets