Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 02:43 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times

Advertisements

i will say "true."

sort of like the saying: "Guns don't kill people; Bullets kill people."

someone might employ a keylogger in the process of hacking you, but no, the keylogger is not sentient and cannot hack you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 09:01 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,836,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Less than 10% of iOS devices in the USA are jailbroken. If your device isn't jailbroken, there's no way to get apps on it that aren't vetted by Apple, unless you pay to be a developer.
Just curious where you got the 10% figure. I am not disputing because I don't know that anyone really has any idea at all what the true percentage is but I will say that the few people that I know that have iPhones, almost all of them are jailbroken. Of course almost everyone I know that has an Android phone has it rooted too but a lot of my friends are techies so we screw with everything. lol

Old 06-20-2011, 09:18 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,101,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Just curious where you got the 10% figure. I am not disputing because I don't know that anyone really has any idea at all what the true percentage is but I will say that the few people that I know that have iPhones, almost all of them are jailbroken. Of course almost everyone I know that has an Android phone has it rooted too but a lot of my friends are techies so we screw with everything. lol
iOS jailbreaking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Cydia creator Jay Freeman estimates that more than 10% of all iPhones are jailbroken."

Cydia is the main software repository for use by jailbroken iOS devices, so its creator would have access to real data to make an estimate. I extrapolated that to include iPads, which have sold in the tens of millions, aren't all tied to particular phone carriers and thus have little need to be jailbroken. That's how I determined the total would be less than 10 percent. Imprecise, but logical.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:36 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
A program creates the virtual keyboard on the screen. The output of that virtual keyboard is basically the same as the output of a 'real' keyboard, and all that is required is a software keylogger to intercept and capture that data.

It can be a software hook, or it can be a Kernel/driver keylogger.
But how can a "software keylogger" access your iPad from a remote location? I am just curious about how the keylogger is going to break through the network and intercept the communication between the iPad and keyboard. Also, how can any keylogger access your iPad if you aren't connected to the Internet?

Old 06-21-2011, 08:21 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
But how can a "software keylogger" access your iPad from a remote location? I am just curious about how the keylogger is going to break through the network and intercept the communication between the iPad and keyboard. Also, how can any keylogger access your iPad if you aren't connected to the Internet?
ever

Old 06-21-2011, 08:50 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,436,673 times
Quote:
aren't all tied to particular phone carriers and thus have little need to be jailbroken.
Wait, what?

Jailbreaking is not the same as unlocking.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:20 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,590,165 times
Quote:
Hmm, I think the double negative in the question led me to get the numbers backwards. Here's what I really meant:

iOS = 10, AFAIK impenetrable thus far

Android = 2, compromised in other ways similar to a keylogger and only a matter of time IMHO

Windows = 1, keyloggers and methods of infection are in the wild for this OS
thanks for the clarification. i will consider anything that gets a 10 or a 9,etc. even though posters aren't really using the scale of 1-10 like i originally asked but no biggie.

yes my wording wasn't the best. some people use 'hack' to mean 'handle' (e.g. jessica couldn't hack it in the fashion biz, so she quit and settled for a non-glamorous job.)

i meant 'hack' as in violate/break in

Last edited by grimace8; 06-21-2011 at 11:37 AM..

Old 06-22-2011, 12:26 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
Wait, what?

It seems like the folks I know who jailbroke their iphone did it at the same time as unlocking, so I presume there's a tremendous overlap between the two. The "If I'm unlocking, I might as well jailbreak, too" school of thought.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
Wait, what?

It seems like the folks I know who jailbroke their iphone did it at the same time as unlocking, so I presume there's a tremendous overlap between the two. The "If I'm unlocking, I might as well jailbreak, too" school of thought.

IIRC, a lot of jailbreakers do that to share pirated apps that cost money in the App Store.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:35 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,436,673 times
Unlocking is where you enable your phone on other networks, besides the one it was meant for (aka, ATT/Verizon in the states). Jailbreaking is rooting and installing Cydia, which is of course the 3rd party app store that allows downloading and installing of Apple-unapproved apps.

I have jailbroken iPhones and iPods, but I didn't unlock the iPhones because, well, simply put, I was in a contract with ATT anyway, it wasn't like I was going anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets