Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 09:04 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lije Baley View Post
BTW when I mentioned usefulness, I wasn't referring to the preloaded garbage software loaded onto most computers, I was talking about having a real keyboard, USB ports so you can easily print out whatever you need or use a flashdrive, SD slots for memory card use, not having to use your fingers to constantly resize or move around webpages not optimized for tablet use, and many other aspects non-nerds use their computer for i.e. just regular ol' daily tasks.
Real keyboards for this cost $50 If I should need one.
It Does have a USB Mini. With a small cord USB to Mini Usb I can connect Flash drive or my camera or my sansa or my -+mini card reader. IF webOS reconises them that is LOL The 2 Android tablets didnt!
You use WiFi for printing....have printer thats wifi works great for my Laptop & my sons Desk top! Both wireless!

I was Lied to about the 2 Android Tablets I got so I not interesed in trying them anymore. The 1st one the company ..based in Fla...never contacted me about English instruction! All I could find were Chinese grrrr The second had all these Videos on what It Could Do! Then when I got it they updated to 2.2 OS & Stopped the sideloading thru computer! Computers dont even reconise that tablet anymore!

So IF All those videos are true on HP web site & YouTube ... Been watching them ALL day Then I will buy it.

Lije Do you have one? Does it Do All the things the Videos & HP says it can do??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lije Baley View Post
Er, well O.K but 1) even when they're UNfolded most netbooks I've messed with aren't any larger or are barely larger, than most full-sized tablets and 2) am not sure why the keyboard would be a hindrance to reading what's on the screen.
I Love My Kindle3 WiFi cause I can lay in bed & take it places to read Like A Book You Cant do that when the keyboards in the way & you cant even hold it like a reg book!

Old 12-31-2011, 10:37 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,665,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Mike my needs as simple I dont use 1/2 of the junk software on my HP laptop!
That being said So far what I seen on YouTube about it I like INCLUDING being able to Change the OS to Windows!! Yes 3 showed win8 on it 1 showed win7 [so maybe 8 a typeO?] With 32 gigs of space thats All I need! & I can sideload stuff also. I am a bit conserned IF it will have any warrenties with it thro HP & I sent a email asking. BTW WebOS is OPEN so geeks can do their thing so I betting they will be adding things to it all the time!
Don't get too confused with the Windows stuff. The odds of actually getting a useful installation of Windows on this thing is nearly a pipe dream. Windows 8 could theoretically be run on it, but it would be severely underpowered.

HP testing win8 preview is a long way from an actual usable install.

I want to believe that dumping WebOS to open source will help it, but I just don't know. There is already a lot of community behind Android (Android is open source as well).

Old 12-31-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Real keyboards for this cost $50 If I should need one.
It Does have a USB Mini. With a small cord USB to Mini Usb I can connect Flash drive or my camera or my sansa or my -+mini card reader. IF webOS reconises them that is LOL The 2 Android tablets didnt!
You use WiFi for printing....have printer thats wifi works great for my Laptop & my sons Desk top! Both wireless!

I was Lied to about the 2 Android Tablets I got so I not interesed in trying them anymore. The 1st one the company ..based in Fla...never contacted me about English instruction! All I could find were Chinese grrrr The second had all these Videos on what It Could Do! Then when I got it they updated to 2.2 OS & Stopped the sideloading thru computer! Computers dont even reconise that tablet anymore!

So IF All those videos are true on HP web site & YouTube ... Been watching them ALL day Then I will buy it.

Lije Do you have one? Does it Do All the things the Videos & HP says it can do??
I don't believe that the TouchPad is a USB host, so it isn't going to recognize the card reader, camera, etc.

As for warranty, if you bought new you might have one... the issue is that they aren't building any more, so the best you are going to get is a refurbished one. That's why I haven't sent mine back for the cracks, I don't want a refurbished unit.

The Android issue sounds more like an issue with cheap no name hardware than with Android itself. I have a TouchPad and an Android phone, and my phone is a far superior device. The TP is great for browsing and what not, and I really like the 10" screen. For the price I paid ($150) it's worth it, If I had to pay $500 I'd get a fast Android tablet.

What is it that you are seeing in videos that you expect it to do?

Old 12-31-2011, 11:13 PM

Skunk I don't believe that the TouchPad is a USB host, so it isn't going to recognize the card reader, camera, etc Thanks for the Headsup on that....
What is it that you are seeing in videos that you expect it to do?....... Surf the web & post on 3-4 forums I belong to C-D being one of them! Download & Read books...humm Do you know IF it will read ePub Files or Mobi? Get bored with reading watch a movie .... Someone said HP had movies BUT I have yet to find a place on HP web about them! I do know It will do YouTube & they have a few movies. [No Netflix, Hulu or Amazon movies tho] Check & answer emails....play few games [I have to find some LOL] Facebook & Live Chat. Thats basicly all I do on my Laptop! IF this works out I might sell it LOL Be 2 yrs old Feb 3rd hint hint hint LOL O Do ebook downloads I can convert thru Calibre. Then of course open & read them. O & get Library ebooks & audiobooks!
From this list what Cant I do?

Old 01-02-2012, 12:42 PM

471 posts, read 1,607,622 times
[quote=Katie1;22346549]
Quote:
No, I sure don't. I have only messed around with them in various stores, mostly to see if they were difficult to use because of their small size (they weren't, though like their much larger cousins, I can't stand using their touch pads to move the cursor around! Thirty bucks for a wireless mouse would be a useful investment here).

Here's an article about the iPad that contains informative opinions from many actual owners about its usefulness, pros & cons:

"I Hate My iPad - Can my tablet-loving Slate colleagues convince me I didn't just waste $600?"

As I said previously, there are definitely times when a tablet can come in handy, but no way will I pay six hundred bucks for one.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:22 PM

iPad & HP-T pad have different OS since I not interested in Apple Products [except those I eat LOL] I not interesed! Thanks anyway!

I found this yesterday evening...HP TouchPad Forums - Help, How-Tos & More at #1 HP webOS Community!

& this....pReader Native Alpha Release - webOS Nation Forums Which should tell me what formate my eBooks need to be in!

& This For Movies thru Amazon Prime......Amazon.com: Customer Discussions: Amazon Instant Video forum So I was Wrong about that!

I also found out that while people are putting Android on them they are buggy & hard to use that way So Its going back to Factory setup

I am on pins & needles waiting for my check so I can buy it

Old 01-02-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Skunk I don't believe that the TouchPad is a USB host, so it isn't going to recognize the card reader, camera, etc Thanks for the Headsup on that....
What is it that you are seeing in videos that you expect it to do?
Quote:
Surf the web & post on 3-4 forums I belong to C-D being one of them!
Surfing and posting on forums is not a problem. It's not as fast as using a mouse and keyboard, but it's acceptable. I'm not a fan of the browser (would like to have FF so that I could sync my favorites), but it does most things pretty well.

Quote:
Download & Read books...humm Do you know IF it will read ePub Files or Mobi?
You posted the pReader link, so you have found that! Keep in mind that there are lots of apps that are designed for the WebOS phones, and don't have tablet versions (usually marked as "HD"). There are a couple of different e reader apps in the store, you may just have to play around with them to find one that does what you want.

Quote:
Get bored with reading watch a movie .... Someone said HP had movies BUT I have yet to find a place on HP web about them! I do know It will do YouTube & they have a few movies. (No Netflix, Hulu or Amazon movies tho)
I couldn't find a web site for HP MovieStore so I downloaded it to the TP. Rentals for movies are 3.99, and purchases are 19.99. TV shows seem to be 1.99 per episode. I don't know how this compares to other services, but it seems steep to me. They seemed to have a decent selection of new releases and popular titles.

Quote:
Check & answer emails
Shouldn't be an issue. If you use webmail it should just work, I'm pretty sure that there is a mail client for it as well.

Quote:
play few games [I have to find some LOL] Facebook & Live Chat.
As long as you can find games you like, you should be fine here. There is a Facebook app, but I didn't care for it (I don't use FB much anyway). I didn't try the live chat (it may not even be supported in the app).

The nice thing is that it's a full blown browser (not a mobile version), so you can use FB in the browser much like using it on a full OS. Of course it's not as fast, but that's the tradeoff with the tablets. FB game seemed a bit flakey when we tested them.

Quote:
Do ebook downloads I can convert thru Calibre. Then of course open & read them. O & get Library ebooks & audiobooks!
From this list what Cant I do?
Double check the pReader link you posted. There were some notes about issues with Calibre versions, but they were older posts so this may have been fixed by now.

Library ebooks are going to depend on your library. Our local library supported a number of devices, but not the Kindle (what my wife uses) until recently. If you have a Kindle account, and the library supports Kindle then you should be fine.

Not sure about audiobooks. I guess that would depend on what format they are in, and if you want to get them from the library, or just buy / download them.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:41 PM

I talked to HP today. Was told the Refirbs they released in this last batch were ones folks purchased Before the Price drop! Instead of refunding the difference they had people return them & then they could buy them for reduced price. Also ALL have 1 yr HP support! But that only goes back to Release/purchase date! IF the one I am getting was released in MAY then the reseller she got it from then thats when the guarentee ends! IF the resellers got it in Dec then thats when the guarentee expires! Once I get it & reg it they can tell me when expires.... Goes by one of those numbers you put in when its reg. But at least I have Some time to see if its ok.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:53 PM

That's why I haven't sent mine back for the cracks

This was one of the Main reasons they dropped the price...Techy told me! & there were some software problems that have Now been corrected since the last update. So I dont think you will get another back! I wondering IF there is something I can do when I get it to Reinforce the back? & IF its already cracked Patch them?? I forgot to ask the tech!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets