Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 08:21 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times

Advertisements

I've been doing all this researching into smartphone vs. tablet. Not finding exactly what I need.
Based on articles from Jan, Feb, Mar and even early April it sounded like maybe the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 for 250.00 was going to be my best bet.
All those articles said it would have 3G.
So the release date was announced earlier this week as April 22 with preorder April 12.
Reviewers have been mailed units to review.
Now suddenly in reviews from the past few days its "wi-fi only" just that. No mention of what happened to freaking 3G!
I'm hugely upset!
By both the reporting which tends to all sound the same like all the authors crib off each other. Really, why are they getting paid to copy someone else report?
They all talk about the rounded corners, thinness, screen resolution and core processor.
Hello! Doesn't connectivity count?

So if this doesn't have 3G I'm back on the street. WTF. I don't know how techno geeks stand it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 10:48 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,438,973 times
The first version is only wifi:

Samsung’s 7-inch Galaxy Tab 2 is the best $250 tablet yet (first look) | VentureBeat

"The device is Wi-Fi only, so no hopping on 3G or 4G networks, but it had to be Wi-Fi-only to keep the price down."

The articles that said it would have 3G were only speculating. Samsung had some FCC activity with ATT, so most suspected it would have 3G.

It might be implemented in a gen 2 or something, but not at release.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:23 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
So get a MiFi that works with any wifi device.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:48 PM

I emailed Tiger Direct and amazingling got a response.
My question - what 3G tablets do you have?
Answer - None

I asked about this on one of the Samsung pages on facebook and
Never heard of MiFi so I googled it. While reading Tru-Connects FAQ I went back and forth btw this could work, oh maybe not, maybe yes. A little confused. At one point it says something about 33ft from a wifi router. Not sure I can be in the middle of nowhere, like really no town for miles, and hop on 3G. And if I did that would be roaming? Not sure how much that ends up being. It'd be ok if it was sort of expensive since I wouldn't do it that often, but if its really high well.

I also sent a comment to PCMAG about all the industry articles killing 3G tablets and they suggested something similar.
I just don't understand how it works.
Cellular Modems - Products

Old 04-16-2012, 04:02 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,438,973 times
Roaming really doesn't exist anymore as far as I know. You buy mifi and add a data plan to your account just like a second phone. So you pay $40 or whatever a month for 2GB of data, then connect your galaxy tab to it via wifi.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:33 PM

A MiFi will work anywhere your cell phone gets service, even in the middle of (most) nowhere. Your tablet, or laptop, or whatever will then get online as long as its within a few feet of it. Verizon's 4G MiFi is fast. Probably faster than your home Internet connection. And if you're still using your tablet when they upgrade their network speed again, you just replace the MiFi instead of the tablet. One MiFi can also support multiple devices so its a better deal than getting cellular data on every device. The only downside is having another device to carry and keep charged.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:28 PM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
If I recall from your other post it HAD to be a phone as well.

A 3G tablet does not mean you can use it as a phone. Just a 3G internet connection.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:11 PM

Peregrine yes I want a combo like the Note. But since I can;t deal/afford AT&Ts no flexible expensive cell/data plan I started considering tablets and keeping my cheapo cell.
Tablet options - no android with 3G so pick one and use MiFi considering the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 if Verizon has a flexible data plan to go with it. I have to go back to their store. Funny they never mentioned MiFi when I was in there before. Makes me think I won't like what they have to say
or iPad 2 which still just costs too damn much
Pay a bunch of moolah for an unlocked Note and take my chances with trying in on TMobile 2G
Or just continue to wait and hang onto my money till something new breaks loose

Old 04-18-2012, 04:49 PM

Cellular data isn't cheap no matter how you get it. You gotta pay to play.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:58 PM

I'm willing to pay - for when I use it. I would use this when I travel. Which is for a few days to a week about every third month. Invaluable when I travel. Don't need it when I'm not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets