Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 01:53 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
How does one justify the price then?
- Comes with 3G
- Lasts up to 3 weeks on a single charge
- E-ink

It's for reading and it does it at an unmatched level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 02:01 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
- Comes with 3G
- Lasts up to 3 weeks on a single charge
- E-ink

It's for reading and it does it at an unmatched level.
Just like a book?

As much as I like technology, there is something about having a book in hand that is always a nice disconnect. It boils down to preference.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:35 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
Quote:
Just like a book?

As much as I like technology, there is something about having a book in hand that is always a nice disconnect. It boils down to preference.
I, too, believe that having a book in hand is a singular experience. Having been gifted with a Kindle II, I now realize that a Kindle doesn't replace a book, it is simply another way to access it. And with the capability to increase the type size, makes it easier on my aging eyes. I still read paper-and-ink books, though, and find some great deals in my local Dollar Tree.

As for the DX, iPad and others of that ilk, I'm not a technology hound. I have a laptop and a Kindle II. That's about as far as it goes. (TV with remote control was a revelation!) I do have a TracFone and have recently figured out how to text.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:00 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Just like a book?

Not like a book. I don't know of a bookstore that follows me around the world. With a Kindle, you can have your entire library with you with the ability to buy more books wherever you are. It's about mobility. When you're at home, fine, read the physical books and physical magazines. But when you're not at home, carry it all around on your Kindle.

The Kindle also has collaborative technologies.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:10 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
I see this ALL THE TIME.

"I like books, how dumb is this? I want to hold a physical book and turn pages".

To a fault, without fail, in EVERY single case, someone gets a Nook or a Kindle and then calls me a month later....

OH MY GOD! THIS THING IS AMAZING! I CAN BORROW BOOKS FROM THE LIBRARY ON MY COMPUTER, I CAN CARRY 1,000 BOOKS AROUND AT A TIME, I CAN SHARE BOOKS WITH MY FRIENDS, IT IS SO EASY TO READ ON.....

I have never heard ONE person say "This thing is dumb... I am going back to books..."

Don't knock it til you try it. As for the price discussion, this is the high end model, folks. The smaller ones are $99. Compare that to an iPad...

Old 08-11-2012, 10:38 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,937,966 times
I purchased a Kindle DX about 2 years ago as a gift for my 9-year old niece. I'd like to buy one for myself and donate my books to charity, because my book collection takes up too much space. But I'm waiting for Amazon to make available a color version in a 10-inch screen.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:04 AM

292 posts, read 358,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
I purchased a Kindle DX about 2 years ago as a gift for my 9-year old niece. I'd like to buy one for myself and donate my books to charity, because my book collection takes up too much space. But I'm waiting for Amazon to make available a color version in a 10-inch screen.
How about an 8.9 inch screen? Looking good; Kindle Fire HD.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:11 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,937,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastequila View Post
How about an 8.9 inch screen? Looking good; Kindle Fire HD.
I saw it, but at $399, I think its overpriced. I think I can get more bang for the buck buying an alternate tablet.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:01 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Pretty sure the DX is discontinued. I know they've taken it down from the store before, but I think this time is it. Price-wise the 8.9" Fire and the DX were too close in price (big e-ink screen are VERY expensive and low yield). The original idea for the DX was as a textbook and .pdf reader, but I don't think Amazon quite nailed that and once tablet prices started dropping (everywhere BUT Apple) that was the end of that.

I have one, bought at a very nice price, but then I have vision problems and sometimes the ability to have huge text on a big screen is necessary and I am not fond of reading off LCD-type screens. I'll hold on to the DX until it croaks, whenever that is. I may need to use it only once a week or so, but I am very glad to have it when I need it.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:30 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
The battery will give up the ghost before that thing ever breaks. One serious PRO for the basic Kindles: they don't break often. Pretty well designed to last...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets