Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 09:03 AM

969 posts, read 2,852,002 times

Advertisements

Always get great help here - I have a Kindle Fire HD - how do I transfer my email contacts from my lap top to the Kindle Fire? Must be easy - I am just at a loss on how to do this.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 04:13 AM

This is the answer I got from Kindle Support:
I understand your concern regarding how you can add the contact you have with your AOL e-mail account. I'm happy to assist you today and I hope I can help.

First, I do apologize if the feature of importing your AOL contacts is not available at this time. Please understand that Kindle Fire can import contacts from accounts that use ActiveSync or Exchange protocols. Accounts that don’t use ActiveSync or Exchange protocols such as AOL are not supported on Kindle Fire 2nd Generation and Kindle Fire HD.

At this time though, you can manually add contacts later by opening “Contacts” under Apps, then tapping "New" at the top of the screen.

For more information about importing your contacts, visit:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/?nodeId=201008270#contacts

However, I have forwarded this to the Kindle Development Team and they will carefully look into the implementing this feature soon. Please be assured that we're continuously working hard to improve your Kindle experience.

As with all of our products, we continue to make Kindle and Kindle apps better for customers with regular software updates. As soon as this feature becomes available, we will definitely let you know about this through our website.

Customer feedback like yours helps us continue to improve the service we provide, and we're glad you took time to write to us.

I replied - How tedious.

Does anyone have a work around for this?

Old 02-19-2013, 07:50 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
There's a reason no one is replying. As support told you, there really is no easy way.
HOWEVER:
You might want to try looking for a different email app. I think K9 is available for the Kindle. If AOL Mail will work with that it WILL Synch your contacts right to the Kindle.
Support won't recommend things to help you like "There's an app for that". They only support the basic OS.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
There's a reason no one is replying. As support told you, there really is no easy way.
HOWEVER:
You might want to try looking for a different email app. I think K9 is available for the Kindle. If AOL Mail will work with that it WILL Synch your contacts right to the Kindle.
Support won't recommend things to help you like "There's an app for that". They only support the basic OS.
I appreciate the reply - but do not understand. This K9 will be a new email address? And then I send the AOL info to K9?

Edited to add this from the K9 Web page:
Installing on Kindle Fire

Question
How do I install K9 on the Kindle Fire?
Answer

So far, Amazon has not reviewed our app for inclusion on the Kindle Fire - even though it has been submitted for multiple months now. K9 does, however, run correctly on the Fire with a couple of caveats:
  1. The icon is displayed in the wrong resolution
  2. The app will not auto-update
Once Amazon reviews and approves our app, both of these issues will be addressed.
If you would like to install K9 on your Kindle Fire, regardless of the two issues listed above, you can click this link on your device to install a prerelease version of K9 for the Kindle Fire.
It would also be helpful if you were to contact Amazon by filling out the form at https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us/apps-help.html asking them to accelerate the approval process for K9 Web Protection on the Kindle Fire. We think that if Amazon hears their customers asking for K9 Web Protection on the Kindle Fire, they may speed up their approval process

Old 02-20-2013, 09:13 AM

Ok - if I make a gmail account - can I then copy my AOL contacts to the gmail address (since Kindle says it supports gmail?)

Old 02-20-2013, 12:42 PM

1. K9 is an email client that will support any email address you add to it. It is not a new address.
2. In your AOL email, poke around in the settings under contacts and see if you have an EXPORT option. If so, then yes, you can EXPORT your contacts from AOL and IMPORT them into Gmail.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
2. In your AOL email, poke around in the settings under contacts and see if you have an EXPORT option. If so, then yes, you can EXPORT your contacts from AOL and IMPORT them into Gmail.
Yes - but in reality - GMAIL "imported" ALL my contacts - from work - from aol - from everywhere. I added this gmail to my phone settings.
I now have all my email contacts available on the phone if I need them
At my leisure I can try to access them from the Kindle - but since I never have the Kindle without the phone - it is no longer as necessary.
But thanks for your replies - help is always appreciated.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:50 PM

This worked! So if you need to create a new gmail account - use a name that will tell your contacts it is "you" - Kindle will accept and "see" your AOL contacts if they become your gmail contacts.
Thanks for helping me walk through this process - hope it helps others.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:08 AM

Happy to help!

Old 05-13-2015, 06:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,760 times
just get the aol.com app on your kindle and you can log in and see the contacts you have on your aol account
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets