Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 07:37 PM

56 posts, read 152,201 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about moving to Marianna Florida from Michigan. I'm wondering if anyone has advice about making this move... is that area prone to hurricanes or tornados? I know it'll be hot, but my area of Michigan gets to the 90s and very humid during the summer - so how much worse will that part of Florida be.

I have horses, will there be any poisonous snakes etc. to watch out for that they won't be used to?

What do you think, a good move?

Thanks in advance,
Terri
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 05:02 AM

509 posts, read 1,680,408 times
Any place in Florida can feel the effects of a hurricane, you just never know. Marianna is inland enough that storm surge would not be a problem, but there are other issues associated with the storms that can impact any area - just a fact of life in Florida. We do have a fair share of tornadoes, but ours are generally smaller - doesn't mean they can't pack and punch and, for the most part, we don't have basements. Snakes are also a fact of life. If you live in an area that is rural enough to allow horses, there will be snakes. You should also know that because of the limited supply of anti-venom, animals don't usually get any if they are bit - they just tough it out. I've not seen a poisonous snake in a while, but I live in a subdivision. People often ask if one part of the state is hotter than another - maybe by a couple of degrees. For example, in the mornings, Cedar Key is hotter than were we are inland, but by the afternoon, it kind of all evens out. I personally prefer the Marianna area (or anywhere north of I-4) to south Florida because I like the rolling hills, and forested areas. Whether or not its a good move for you depends on you and your resources. Good Luck!

Old 06-11-2011, 07:36 PM

Thanks for the info!
I'm guessing that most of the bad snakes live near swampy areas and NOT in open pastures, but I better research that on line. Either way, I don't thing it's enough to change my mind.

I'm wondering, why don't houses in Florida have basements, is the water table too high?

Terri

Old 06-12-2011, 07:00 AM

108 posts, read 353,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamma Miiagi View Post
Thanks for the info!
I'm guessing that most of the bad snakes live near swampy areas and NOT in open pastures, but I better research that on line. Either way, I don't thing it's enough to change my mind.

I'm wondering, why don't houses in Florida have basements, is the water table too high?

Terri
Snakes are a non issue. Basements cost more to build and *everyone* is *cheap* here.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:49 PM

So what do people do during a tornado? I understand that you get some pretty good ones, especially in the northern part of your state... well, since I won't be able to convince my horses to lay down in a ditch, maybe I'll just have to tough it out

Florida still has to be better than where I'm coming from - at least there won't be people freezing to death!

Sounds mostly like a few personal adjustments on my part, then all will be fine.

Any suggestions on local places where I can sell the pottery I make?

Thanks,
Terri

Old 06-13-2011, 03:08 PM

Another question... what about black widow spiders (or any other poisonous spiders-insects)? I'm not afraid of them, I just need to know what I should expect.

Thanks again.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Another question... what about black widow spiders (or any other poisonous spiders-insects)? I'm not afraid of them, I just need to know what I should expect.

Thanks again.
Where are you reading this dis-informtion? Sheesh!

Chiggers (in the woods) and mosquitoes will be your biggest outdoor problems.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
So what do people do during a tornado?
[SIZE=+1]FLORIDA: Tornadoes causing three or more deaths [/SIZE]

SEP 10, 1882 9:00 pm 5 dead 8 injured
A hurricane-generated tornado destroyed tenant homes near Quincy, Gadsden County.

APR 5, 1925 1:15 pm 5 dead 35 injured
A tornado moved northeast from the Everglades, SW of Hialeah, to eight miles north of Miami.

JAN 18, 1936 7:00 pm 7 dead 25 injured
Six people were killed when a farmhouse was "obliterated" south of Vernon, Washington County.

MAR 30, 1939 10:10 pm 4 dead 8 injured
Four workers were killed at a turpentine plant ten miles NW of Jacksonville, Duval County.

MAY 26, 1951 10:30 AM 3 dead 0 injured
A waterspout overturned a small boat, drowned three fishermen, and went ashore near Pensacola.

MAR 31, 1962 9:00 AM 17 dead 100 injured
About 75 small homes were destroyed on the northwest side of Milton; 200 homes were damaged.

APR 4, 1966 8:00 AM 11 dead 350 injured
A tornado family hit the Tampa (three dead) Polk county (seven deaths) and crossed the entire state.

MAY 4, 1978 10:47 AM 3 dead 94 injured
This tornado formed over the Gulf of Mexico and hit High Point Elementary School in Clearwater.

APR 9, 1983 1:55 pm 3 dead 2 injured
Near Inverness, Citrus County, trailers and a gas station were destroyed; all deaths were in a car.

APR 19, 1988 3:30 pm 4 dead 18 injured
Seventeen homes were destroyed along with many college buildings at Madison.

JUN 8, 1989 5:00 pm 3 dead 4 injured
A waterspout moved from Apalachicola Bay and passed through Eastpoint; three died in a home.

OCT 3, 1992 10:30 AM 3 dead 75 injured
The tornado moved north-northeast in Pinellas Park, hitting a mobile home park and several homes.

MAR 12, 1993 11:38 pm 3 dead 10 injured
A tornado at Chiefland struck a home which collapsed, pinning occupants under a fallen wall.

FEB 22, 1998 11:37 pm 3 dead 70 injured
Deaths were in the Hyde Park mobile home community at Winter Garden, Lake County; 500 buildings were destroyed.

FEB 23, 1998 00:10 AM 13 dead 36 injured
Fatalities were in and near Sanford, Seminole County, in mobile homes; 625 buildings were destroyed.

FEB 22, 1998 00:40 AM 25 dead 150 injured
Most of the deaths were in and near Kissimmee, Osceola County; most deaths were in trailer and RV parks.

The United State's Worst Tornadoes

Florida Tornadoes

Old 06-14-2011, 05:51 AM

Well, our local weather channel talks about the tornadoes in Florida - they sounded kind of impressive compared to the usually non-rated ones that on the rare occasion pop up here - so I thought I should ask.

As far as the snakes and spiders go, I'm very happy they're not going to be a problem in the area where I'm thinking about moving. However, there are a lot of places on the web that talk about "colorful but poisonous" snakes in Florida and black widow spiders too.

I just want info so I don't do stupid things like walk around barefoot when I should be wearing shoes, or should take a storm warning seriously instead of ignoring them like we do here.

Kind of like you might want to find out about how to spot "black ice" here, or know when 6" of snow is bad on the roads or if it's "just snow"... there's a difference here. Or where to avoid getting deer ticks that carry Lyme Disease - not all deer carry the infected ticks...

Please don't think I'm knocking your state, I want to move there!

Old 07-02-2011, 09:04 AM

509 posts, read 1,680,408 times
Its good to ask and don't let anyone deter you from doing so. Lots of people move here and think they know what they are getting into. I know a woman who moved here and is frightened to come out of her front door because of the lizards on the porch. They won't hurt her, but she's scared of them. So what's important to you might not be important to someone else. Snakes are an issue in Florida. Most of the ones you see are not poisonous, but they do occur in pastures, etc., not just in swampy areas. Rattlesnakes are more likely in sandy areas as they live in holes left by turtles, etc. People have their animals bitten often. That's why what anti-venom is reserved for humans and not used on animals. The more rural the area, the more likely you are to see snakes. If there are toads or mice were you live, there will be snakes. Regarding black widows, my nephew lived in a rural part of Madison County and had a terrible problem with black widows in his garage. So, no one can give you a 100% answer. We can tell you what some people experience. Like you said, you just keep your eyes open and watch where you walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee