Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 07:29 AM

27,221 posts, read 46,860,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
I believe that there are some buyer's remorse laws in Florida, offering an out within up to three days. I do not know if any such rule applies to leases but it might be worth investigating.
Nope not for signing a lease. That is for people solicitating at your door which is illegal in many communities where signs are posted to warn "not to solicitate"...something they still are doing.

I have a note on my window stating "no solicitating" and that works great.

The OP needs to have proof that the other side hasn't signed anything and not letting them in an apartment as they have paid for. He also needs to give a written notice of not wanting to go through with the lease....that might be of some help although I doubt he can get out of the lease, but he can demand to pay pro rated since they can't force him to pay for days he wasn't able to get into the apartment due the managements fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 08:16 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,343,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoUSF View Post
I checked, no "cool down" period on lease agreements. No one has made mention of the fact the ease isnt even signed by the manager yet?does that count for anything or no?
Bummer, sorry to hear it. I don't know but your idea of application loophole might not hold water because you signed and handed over the lease, accepting it as is. I'm not a lawyer but if I was a judge I'd take that at face value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occifer View Post
It would be a good business practice for them to go ahead and void it, however they do not have to do so. If I were the manager I wouldn't want a disgruntled and unhappy person living in my complex for a year.
If this is a large complex, whoever signed up the OP might be graded based upon filling vacancies, in which case there would be incentive to hold the op to the agreement, sadly, even if that is not good practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Nope not for signing a lease. That is for people solicitating at your door which is illegal in many communities where signs are posted to warn "not to solicitate"...something they still are doing.

I have a note on my window stating "no solicitating" and that works great.
While a law might have been initiated for one application does not mean that it is not applicable elsewhere. For instance, here Buyer’s remorse rarely negates a mediated settlement agreement - The Daily Record - Jacksonville, Florida
a lawyer claimed buyer's remorse for a prenup. The article states that "common law allows a contract to be rescinded on the basis of unilateral mistake."

The OP, however, replied that he investigated and found no application here.

I never had problems with solicitating but with canvassers leaving pamphlets and flyers, especially when I was away a lot. Finally I left a small note near the door requesting nobody leave anything there. It slowed it down but did not stop it. Then I left a note in English & in Spanish and that stopped better than 95% of the problem.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:55 AM

82 posts, read 574,586 times
Thanks again for the continued feedback,

I will update you all tomorrow on how it goes, hopefully this place is not graded basd on occupation.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:53 PM

Thank you to everyone's feedback. Short end, we were unsuccessful in getting out of the contract.

I will write a bit more detailed writeup about it in case someone is searching for this type of information in the future. I am not sure I will divulge the name of the comunity either as I stated my intent is not to deter people from renting there, as well, I am now goign to be a resident for a year.

We have resigned to the fact that we lost this argument, things did get straightened out while we were speakign to the head person there somewhat as well some details came to light as well that made me a bit upset again. In the end, we acknowledged we were partially to blame on some of the miscommunication being we were 2 different people talking to two different staff people. They did not own upto their end of the miscommunication however.

But hey..happy thoughts here, im 15 minutes from my job (vs a hour commute), 45 minute bike ride, and there is a nice pool there and the apartment isnt horrible.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:15 AM

27,221 posts, read 46,860,760 times
Enjoy the rest of your stay there and forget about the beginning

Old 09-20-2010, 11:30 AM

To give an update on this, we have been living here for a little over a month now. I let the whole situation ruin a whole week of my life, and then a friend of mine put things into perspective for me. He told me to tell him "What is it that you want from them, what could they do right now that will make you happy, and do you think your going to get it"

At that point I realized we have been told there was nothing that could be done and at this point I was just dwelling on it, and let it ruin my mood. So we decided to make the best of our lease here and we have had extremely minimal contact with the office workers so no issues to report. As to the apartment community itself we are as previously reported happy with it, were just dissatisfied with the level of customer service we were shown in the beginning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay