Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2010, 09:38 AM

7 posts, read 12,842 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My apologies if this is a repeated post. I did a little searching and tried to make sure noone answered my question. I am a NYer right now. MY husband and I have been married a year, no kids as of yet. Although we love NY, we know that we will never have the life that we want up here. It is just too expensive to live, we will never own property, and although we love snow, we enjoy the Tampa climate much better. He has family in Tampa and my family will go where I go (so we are covered there). However, I am on the fence about moving to Tampa because of things I have heard and information that has been given to me regarding employment. I know I have to take things with a grain of salt but wondering if anyone has any information they can offer?

1-I am an educator. Passed the Hillsborough screening, have my FL certificate and am ready to find a job if necessary (even been offered 2 jobs). The salary is pretty much what I would start off with in NY, so thats not a problem, I am just not thrilled about how the education system works. My position is guaranteed for a school year but then my job goes into a "pool" and if someone with more seniority wants my position (for whatever reason of being closer to his or her home, etc), they can take it and then my position is put into a pool and I have to apply to another school. So, lets say I get offered a job in Brandon and I relocate and move to brandon, the following year my job may go bye-bye and I'd have to look for another open position in another school and risk a further commute. Can any educators clarify/agree with what I am saying or correct if I am wrong?

2-If I do happen to be far from work, people say traffic is awful, although I will be commuting earlier in the morning to make a school schedule. I have heard it is God awful but then I have read some transplants from the North east say it is really nothing compared to traffic we get up here? Whats the truth?

3-Husband wants to go into law enforcement. Took test in Hillsborough and passed. Now, the way they do it there is reverse from NY. In Tampa, you pass test, have to go into police academy (which you have to pay tuition for), and THEN do they do your physical/psych exam and determine if they can hire you. So you arent guaranteed a position after paying tuition. Here, hubby has degree in criminal justice, takes test which qualifies him for psych/physical exam and if he passes that then he can enter police academy (which we do not have to pay tuition for). Once you are in police academy, you are hired. Its the vagueness of not being guaranteed a job which worries me.

4-the "what if" of BOTH of our careers is what worries me...how can we buy a house and not be stressed about our payments if both our career choices have some "what ifs"? How have other people handled it?

Any information or clarification would really help Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 09:51 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
I live in Ohio and used to live in Florida and in this economy I would not move anywhere without a steady job . Things are just too iffy unless you have tons of money saved I would not move at all anywhere without a secured job and know what kind of salary or wage I am making . so much insecurity in this day and age over this economy . I know that is probably not want you want to hear but it needed to be said . I wish you luck and I hope you like florida .

Old 08-02-2010, 10:01 AM

Thanks, phonelady, no I would never move anywhere without having had secured a job...probably will be impossible for both hubby and I to secure jobs, but at least one of us. Only problem is, even if I do for one school year...it isn't 100% I will be in the same school the following year thats what worries me.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:07 AM

794 posts, read 1,861,943 times
If you have a job for 1 year, that is a great start for starting to plant your roots. No one knows what the future brings. I just moved from NY myself in April after finding a job first. My job is very secure, it always seems risky when it's the unknown. In life you have to take risks to get what you want. You both sound young and have very solid careers with excellent career paths. Having credentials and training removes lot's of risk. I would advise to have a savings buffer for at least 6 months and then find a job first; maybe not your ideal job, but something to keep the bills paid before you get down here, and then just go for it. You will make it work.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:08 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,206,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I live in Ohio and used to live in Florida and in this economy I would not move anywhere without a steady job . Things are just too iffy unless you have tons of money saved I would not move at all anywhere without a secured job and know what kind of salary or wage I am making . so much insecurity in this day and age over this economy . I know that is probably not want you want to hear but it needed to be said . I wish you luck and I hope you like florida .

You actually gave the generic answer to " I want to move to Florida" question. Did you read that she has 2 jobs offered?

OP: Hopefuly somebody that is in the education and/or law inforcement will help you. Sorry I can't.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:06 AM

Hi everyone...just wanted to clarify because someone was nice enough to send me a private message correcting me on salaries in Tampa being the same in NY.

In MY experience, what I was offered in Tampa for a School Counselor position was within 5 thousand of what I would be offered here in the part of NY that I live, so thats pretty much the same.My husband and I are starting out in our lives and careers so for us, it is comparable salary-wise.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:41 AM

29 posts, read 144,143 times
I am from NY also, i just recently moved to Tampa a few months ago, everyone has there own opinion, but theres no jobs "same as anywheres else" If you like the heat then go for it.. Its beyond hot exp this past summer, you dont see any of youre neighbors because there all in the house "until evening of course when it cools down to the low 80s lol goodluck to you

Old 09-29-2010, 11:18 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,148,559 times
In NY most people dont even know who their neighbors are much less worrying about seeing them.
Most people are at work "until evening of course".

Old 09-29-2010, 11:19 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,148,559 times
With the taxes in NY, 5k won't even be a smudge on the radar screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMR20 View Post
Hi everyone...just wanted to clarify because someone was nice enough to send me a private message correcting me on salaries in Tampa being the same in NY.

In MY experience, what I was offered in Tampa for a School Counselor position was within 5 thousand of what I would be offered here in the part of NY that I live, so thats pretty much the same.My husband and I are starting out in our lives and careers so for us, it is comparable salary-wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: