Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 12:37 PM

381 posts, read 1,686,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Yup, I understand exactly what you're saying. I do believe that the Clearwater area is supposed to be more to what you and I would prefer. Worth checking in to.
Actually, Clearwater is practically owed by Scientologists. At least the downtown area.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:46 PM

56 posts, read 402,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeAnjel View Post
Well Silvo, now we are communicating although you were not very nice in your first post but I'm sure you are under stress. Your second post, however does give me something to think about. I like your comparisons to polygamy etc. as I feel the same way.For the first time ever, I am considering your argument concerning gay marriage and you may have a point. The only thing I (can't speak for anyone except myself) have against it to begin with is calling it "marriage" but as you pointed out , I guess we could have our own definitions of marriage. I may reconsider my position on that.
If everyone could just stop trying to change everyone else and listen to each other, maybe we CAN all get along!
Thank you As long as I at least got you think about the issue in a different way. That's the only way conservatives and liberals, pro-gay and pro-marriage will be able to work together. I've used that comparision in other debates and it does work and does it get people to really think. I would encourage you to engage others in it as well. Once again, I'm not out to change your views, just to see the other side of the argument and in a way that would make sense.

I'm so glad what I said got you to really look at your position on this. I understand the conservative position, believe...I do. LOL. It's dialogues like this that will be pivotal for folks like us to "get along." Politics will only change when we tell them to.

Cheers!

Old 07-03-2007, 12:51 PM

381 posts, read 1,686,094 times
Silvio, I think you are right. People shouldn't base their view of a particular group of people based on their "poster boys." It really has nothing to do with their lifestyle, but it just seemed like most of the gays I came in contact with weren't very nice. Our neighbors on both sides are gay, and the ones on our left made a VERY big issue because we trimmed a branch off their tree. They called the police twice, said we "attacked them," made a false claim about where the property line was, and then poured a concrete planter which went onto our property. I have talked to other people who the second you say something the least bit negative, just fly off the handle and start cussing you out and calling you names (homophobic is the most popular).

Obviously, this is not the case with all. You are a great example of that, Silvio. You have been extremely civil and non inflammatory. I respect you for that. And I realize that there are people from all groups who would do the exact same thing as our neighbors did, or cuss you out for saying something negative.

Some of us conservatives just don't get it. Even if we do disagree with your lifestyle, it's no reason to insult you, no reason at all.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:56 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineBaby View Post
Actually, Clearwater is practically owed by Scientologists. At least the downtown area.
Sunshine, I'm so glad you mentioned that cause I was just thinking I had heard that before. I know absolutely nothing about Scientology except that some movie stars belong to that religion. That would be something interesting to study up on.

I agree. Silvio is a very nice person and it's interesting to discuss differences when we're all so civil.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:23 PM

I can't speak for all gay people but usually the older ones have the mentality that heterosexuals either hate you to your face, or hate you behind your back. Whether its warranted or not, can you understand why. I don't have that mentality but it's difficult not to at times. When you leave religion and politics out of the debate, you can actually achieve understandings. I don't assume all conservatives are in the mold of James Dobson, Jerry Falwell, or the like. That would be frightening. I think, on both sides, we need to address the misconceptions we have about the other. The biggest thing that conservatives need to overcome is the fact that pro-gay rights groups are NOT out to force you to change your views. Forget what groups may tell you, it's not the case. We're not out to shove gay marriage in your face, homosexuality, or anything. However, its a good ploy to amass an opposition. The only thing we want is just to live our lives free of "lawful" discrimination, intolerance, and unequal treatment. Can you imagine this...I have to write on my medical records that it's ok for my boyfriend to have visitation rights if I'm unable to speak for myself. My mom doesn't approve of my relationship and most likely would not allow him to be there. We been together for four years and if something happened to either one of us, I would have to get permission from his folks (who are overwhelming supportive) just to see him in the hospital. This is the kind of stuff everyone else takes for granted but to us it's crucial.

The one message we try to carry out is equal rights are not special rights.

Cheers

Old 07-03-2007, 02:10 PM

192 posts, read 1,165,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
"And while the subject is being discussed I have to admit that I don't get the gay-pride-wear-your-sexuality-on-the-streets thing - I mean, can you picture a hetero parade?? What would we straight folks do while marching down the street?"

I think thats called Gasparilla...My favorite Tampa Holiday! Or is it the Gasparilla Night Parade, or maybe the Mama Guava Stumble on Guavaween..gotta love a "hetero" parade!
You're a funny guy TampaGuy!!! I love that!

Old 07-03-2007, 02:12 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,192,765 times
Quote:
I don't get polgamy, I don't approve of it, I think it's wrong, I think it does harm to the people involved, and for the longest time I approved of anti-polygamy laws because, and only because, I didn't approve of that practice. Much the same way conservative don't like gay marriage.
Homosexuality is not an "alternative life style". It is a mental disorder. It was always recognized as a mental disorder until it wasn't "PC" to do so any longer. Just look at any of the older psychiatric text books. Now, more than ever, there is proof that homosexuality is not just one mental disorder, but several - as the causes seem to be different for lesbianism, and even different forms of male homosexuality.

The bottom line is that homosexuality, although it has been a part of societies since before civilization, is an aberiant mental dissorder. This has been proven in various studies, especially in studies concerning mice that are overstressed due to being caged in dense populations. Just like OCD, manic-depressives, schizophrenics, sociopaths, etc. have been with us thruough out the ages, so has homosexuality. It is not "main stream". It is not "ok" to be a homosexual. And, it is certainly not acceptable to let Homosexuals adopt children and raise them. Althoug we can really do nothing to stop lesbians from having babies and raising them, it is still immoral for them to do this.

I really do not care what two consenting adults do in the privacy of their own bedrooms. In fact, I'd rather not know what they do - heterosexual or homosexual. But, I do care how people raise their kids. I do care to stop homosexuals from adopting and raising children like there's no difference when a loving married couple make their own babies and raise them as their own children. I do care when homosexual "partners" couple together to obtain greater tax and social security benefits, or milk companies for more insurance benefits. This is wrong. It's a fraud. We don't make special exceptions for psychopaths, schizophrenics, or people suffering with OCD to "couple up" to get more benefits. We don't give these people greater rights to adopt children.

So, do what you want between the sheets. But, don't look for my approval of your activity, because as far as I'm concerned all your are doing is flaunting and perpetuating a mental dissorder. Someday there will be a medical cure for some homosexuals, I am sure of this.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:26 PM

192 posts, read 1,165,061 times
Prichard, although I don't agree with your assertion that homosexuality is a mental disorder I respect your right to hold that belief. We live in an increasingly diverse society and some will belive as you do, while others believe differently......and somehow we can have views as divergent as these and coexist in harmony for the most part. I think that fact speaks volumes for our civility.

My next door neighbors of 31 years are gay and the last thing that they would do is to participate in a gay pride parade. They don't hide their sexuality - don't have to - but because they are sophisticated and educated, not to mention secure in their being, the need to march down a major street in St Pete just isn't in their agenda.....

Last edited by tonynorie; 07-03-2007 at 03:13 PM..

Old 07-03-2007, 02:34 PM

Wow. And this is exactly why there's no peace and harmony in our society. Here's a thought, all medical organizations now concede homosexuality is NOT a medical disorder. Spin that however you choose, it is what it is. I could care less about your approval. You're one of those people who no matter what I say, you're going to believe what you want...no matter how backward and baseless it is.

Instead of trying to fix homosexuals, why don't you fix your own problems with divorce rates, kids living with multiple parents, abusive relationships, multiple marriages, should I go on. Or better yet, crawl back under "I'm better than you blanket" Jerry Falwell gave you and when you have a thought...just don't speak.

It's views like that are misguided, un-educated, and incredibly ignorant and serve no useful purpose other than to ignite passions and intolerance.

Happy 4th of July, it would be nice if we lived in a society free of predjudice and head in the sand ignorance.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
I do care when homosexual "partners" couple together to obtain greater tax and social security benefits, or milk companies for more insurance benefits. This is wrong. It's a fraud.
That is the most incredibly baseless thing I've ever heard. When you buy into an insurance policy you don't get to choose who else in that company recieved benefits. I work in personal injury law, I see real people who commit insurance fraud and make baseless claims for benefits. That's the real insurance fraud, not committed couples who want the same policy! I mean seriously!

And why should you care if my partner wants to declare me on this income tax? If everyone got to choose who recieved tax and SSD benefits, it would be an unworkable system. I don't want Muslims to recieve tax benefits, or interracial couples, or women, or people over 70, or CHRISTIANS, or people who wear glasses, or couples that were married more than twice. You see where this is going?

Before you make an incredibly baseless assertion like that, think about it and wonder if it makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay