Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 03:05 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,304,420 times

Advertisements

Just be aware that west of 275, the St. Pete city limits are roughly 38th Avenue North (technically 40th Avenue North, a minor side street). Once you go north of there, you get into Lealman and Kenneth City, which aren't bad as a whole, but aren't all that desireable, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 03:36 PM

436 posts, read 1,121,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If you look on a map of St Pete/Pinellas county. I'd say anything north of Central, east of 9th st, and west of 49st,will produce some nice neighborhoods to live in.
If i had the money Snell island around Coffee Pot Bayou is where i'd park the old Mercedes..
I see Central Ave and 9th/MLK, but I'm not sure where 49th is that you're referring to?

Old 10-04-2010, 03:44 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,304,420 times
49th Street. It runs from Gulfport all the way up to the airport, where it becomes McMullen-Booth after it crosses the Bayside/49th Street Bridge.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:59 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbillyx View Post
I see Central Ave and 9th/MLK, but I'm not sure where 49th is that you're referring to?
49th st is 40 blocks west of MLK,. Wish all cities were numbered and have streets running north south and avenues running east west,sure makes it easy to find some place especially when the first one or two numbers in the address usually indicate the nearest cross st/ave.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:59 PM

It looks like the elementary and middle schools zoned for the Old Northeast aren't too great, at least according to Great Schools. That seems odd to me, seeing as it's one of the most desirable parts of the city. Odd.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:07 PM

I'm also curious about how high the property taxes are in St Pete. Will I have to carry flood insurance (living in or near the Old Northeast)?

Old 10-04-2010, 08:01 PM

158 posts, read 284,289 times
Thats what I noticed, schools not so great in Old NE made me take it off my list to look at when I head that way...if any one has more info on how the schools are, middle schools, in that area, I would appreciate the information

Old 10-04-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniegurl View Post
Thats what I noticed, schools not so great in Old NE made me take it off my list to look at when I head that way...if any one has more info on how the schools are, middle schools, in that area, I would appreciate the information

I don't need the best schools. I'd settle for so-so schools. I just want to avoid bad ones. I don't even have kids at the moment but it's a possibility. St Pete High looks good (according to GreatSchools.org) so it's elementary and middle schools you have to pay attention to. I am not in favor of private schools either, so I'll need to find decent public options.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:02 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
xBillyX you certainly are going to a lot of trouble in your plans to emigrate to the USA and settle into a city you seem to know nothing about and while those of us familiar with St Pete can give much information its never going to be completely adequate,you need to come down and explore the city for yourself for a couple of weeks,get familiar with the different neighborhoods, talk to the locals,talk to a real estate agent or two,check out job potential,find out if you actually like the city as its going to be rather frustrating to go to all this trouble only to find out you dont like St Pete but you love St Augustine or Daytona..

Old 10-05-2010, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
xBillyX you certainly are going to a lot of trouble in your plans to emigrate to the USA and settle into a city you seem to know nothing about and while those of us familiar with St Pete can give much information its never going to be completely adequate,you need to come down and explore the city for yourself for a couple of weeks,get familiar with the different neighborhoods, talk to the locals,talk to a real estate agent or two,check out job potential,find out if you actually like the city as its going to be rather frustrating to go to all this trouble only to find out you dont like St Pete but you love St Augustine or Daytona..
I definitely understand that. I just changed my location to avoid confusion. I am living in Canada only temporarily. I'm a US citizen and my wife is originally from Florida, so we do know some about the state.

I'm just trying to get a feel from people in order to create a list so I don't just haphazardly run around like a crazy person when I'm down there checking out areas. I'll be heading down there in the next month.

I appreciate all of the information and advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay