Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 08:56 PM

463 posts, read 1,053,108 times

Advertisements

If this is the coldest weather it comes during a winter i don't think i'll have to buy another pair of jeans for a while

yea i'm form ohio ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 09:40 PM

149 posts, read 259,817 times
It's pretty nippy tonight alright, they're talking about 35F low gulfside. Finally, I get a chance to bring out those furry socks! Now where was that portable heater anyway...LOL

Old 12-07-2010, 12:02 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,759,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_sfl View Post
I don't know how you people can wear tank tops in public period. As if everyone enjoyed looking at your harry armpits!
Hairy armpits? Pretty sure I shave my armpits. I'm pregnant, not dead... unless you assume I'm a man, in which case you'd be wrong.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:24 AM

707 posts, read 1,466,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_sfl View Post
I don't know how you people can wear tank tops in public period. As if everyone enjoyed looking at your harry armpits!

seriously

females hardly ever have hairy armpits.

I love this cold. We move in 2 weeks to NY so its just preparing us. It be better if there was snow. So we could snowboard and do other things that are fun. Floridas built just on theme parks and beaches and well when its this cold you really cant do any of that..

Old 12-07-2010, 05:07 AM

794 posts, read 1,861,301 times
It's official.....my Bippy has frozen this morning at 31 degrees. Last night was the first time I have worn long pants here in Florida in 8 months....lol

Seriously, I find that I'm colder only because psychologically my mind tells me this is Florida and it shouldn't be this cold. I guess I've got some adjustin' to do!!!

Al

Old 12-07-2010, 05:45 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,309,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
seriously

females hardly ever have hairy armpits.

I love this cold. We move in 2 weeks to NY so its just preparing us. It be better if there was snow. So we could snowboard and do other things that are fun. Floridas built just on theme parks and beaches and well when its this cold you really cant do any of that..
And NY is built on extremely expensive land. And once you pay your taxes, you really cant do much of anything... So it's a trade off I guess

Snowboarding/skiing is cool for a couple hours at a time or an occasional weekend. It is the other 99.8 percent of the time you are enduring cold and not enjoying outdoor sports that is terrible.

I'll still take my short cold snaps rather then have 7 months of jackets and looking at dead trees, and freezing my butt off for the first 8 minutes of every single car ride, or shoveling snow, or paying an outrageous heating bill (because most places up north have oil heating, not electric like the south) You dont like putting gas in your car? wait until you have to have your oil tank filled. My mother has a 1400 sq foot house and she is filling up multiple times per winter at $600+ per fill-up. Oil heat works so much better then electric and that is why it is needed in the north.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:46 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,309,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
Last night was the first time I have worn long pants here in Florida in 8 months....lol
have you not been to work or to a resturant in that long?

Old 12-07-2010, 07:32 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,125,986 times
Okay folks I did it.... I turned on the heat in the house this morning. Only for 5 minutes to get the chill off and probably could have done so fine without doing so. But the kids seemed cold and I couldn't make them miserable.... so they got 5 minutes of heat. HA

You know how they say in Arizona it's a dry heat.... a different kind of heat so it's really not as hot as it sounds there? Well, I think we need to start saying "It's a different kind of cold here". That way we don't seem so wimpy when it gets below 50.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:45 AM

436 posts, read 1,121,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
And NY is built on extremely expensive land. And once you pay your taxes, you really cant do much of anything... So it's a trade off I guess

Snowboarding/skiing is cool for a couple hours at a time or an occasional weekend. It is the other 99.8 percent of the time you are enduring cold and not enjoying outdoor sports that is terrible.

I'll still take my short cold snaps rather then have 7 months of jackets and looking at dead trees, and freezing my butt off for the first 8 minutes of every single car ride, or shoveling snow, or paying an outrageous heating bill (because most places up north have oil heating, not electric like the south) You dont like putting gas in your car? wait until you have to have your oil tank filled. My mother has a 1400 sq foot house and she is filling up multiple times per winter at $600+ per fill-up. Oil heat works so much better then electric and that is why it is needed in the north.
Exactly! I couldn't have said this better myself Craig!

The first snow is nice/fun/pretty for a few hours. Then, after there's been enough traffic and plowing, the snow turns gray/black and it looks gross. The cold gets old, and very fast.

Craig is absolutely right about the high cost of oil heating. It's absolutely absurd in Atlantic Canada how much people pay to heat their homes. Sure, homes are cheap but the cost to heat them is astronomical. That's exactly why I put in a pellet stove (well, that and it's eco-friendly).

Anyway, I'll take the "cold" weather in Florida. And, I'm sure there's still plenty to do. I don't plan on going to the beach every day. The colder weather in Florida is perfect for running, cycling, and playing sports outdoors. I'm used to doing all of that when it's much colder so the 40s/50s will seem like nothing!

I'm convinced I won't have to use heat at all in Florida (until my wife moves down), but we'll see. I will, however, need that a/c.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:47 AM

436 posts, read 1,121,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Okay folks I did it.... I turned on the heat in the house this morning. Only for 5 minutes to get the chill off and probably could have done so fine without doing so. But the kids seemed cold and I couldn't make them miserable.... so they got 5 minutes of heat. HA

You know how they say in Arizona it's a dry heat.... a different kind of heat so it's really not as hot as it sounds there? Well, I think we need to start saying "It's a different kind of cold here". That way we don't seem so wimpy when it gets below 50.
It does feel different there. I was there last Christmas when the area had an unusually cold winter. I felt cold outside...in Florida...and I live in NE Canada now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay