Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 08:59 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,387,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewas View Post
If you could, please provide the study that shows accident increase or same rate of accidents before and after cameras were installed.
Yes there will be people who tailgate and people who will slam on their brakes at the first sign of yellow. But have you people forgot to leave safe distance between your car and car in front of you? I recall it's about length of two cars that should be left.
Also i rather have someone slamming in their back than on drivers/passenger door in T type of collision.
here's a blog listing 5 studies that show that red-light cameras increase accidents.

Red-Light Cameras Increase Accidents: 5 Studies That Prove It

of particular relevance (for xbillyx and i at least) is study #2, taken in virginia in 2007.

Quote:
The Impact of Red Light Cameras (Photo-Red Enforcement) on Crashes in Virginia
Virginia Transportation Research Council
June 2007

The Virginia Transportation Research Council released a report expanding upon earlier research into the safety effects of red light cameras in Virginia. Despite showing an increase in crashes, this study was instrumental in the return of red-light cameras to the state of Virginia. With a proven negative safety impact, the clear incentive to bring back the cameras was money.
Quotes from the study:
“After cameras were installed, rear-end crashes increased for the entire six-jurisdiction study area… After controlling for time and traffic volume at each intersection, rear-end crash rates increased by an average of 27% for the entire study area.”
“After cameras were installed, total crashes increased.”
“The impact of cameras on injury severity is too close to call.”
“Based only on the study results presented herein and without referencing other studies, the study did not show a definitive safety benefit associated with camera installation with regard to all crash types, all crash severities, and all crash jurisdictions.”
link to full study in pdf format
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 09:05 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
I would much rather have someone rear end me because they weren't paying attention and I stop at a red light than having someone T-Bone any door where my wife, kids or myself are sitting while I go through an intersection on my green light.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
I would much rather have someone rear end me because they weren't paying attention and I stopped and a red light than having someone T-Bone any door where my wife, kids or myself are sitting while I go through an intersection on my green light.
yes but the point is that the number of accidents altogether INCREASES with red-light cameras.

you'd rather be rear-ended than t-boned. who wouldn't?

but would you rather be rear-ended than not crashed into at all?

Old 03-03-2011, 09:18 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
How are these cameras "CAUSING" any accidents? they are placed high over the Stop Lights.

PEOPLE that are busy "multitasking" cause accidents! Stop Multitasking and not only we'll have less accidents but the State won't get rich on your back either! So, If you don't want extra expenses, put that damn phone down and DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This has to be the dumbest thing I ever heard, that "traffic cameras cause accidents"!

AMERICANS Need to start taking responsibility for THEIR ACTIONS!

It is not the store fault you tripped! watch where you're going! it is not the cops fault you chose to do something else besides driving. Do you have a LICENSE TO TEXT? Don't think so, your license is for DRIVING! Get used to it.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
How are these cameras "CAUSING" any accidents? they are placed high over the Stop Lights.
you. have. got. to. be. kidding. me.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:46 AM

436 posts, read 1,121,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Wow, now that's just stupid. I agree with you that those people are morons. Those lights were really red. I'm more referring to the fact that some people have a tendency to slam on the brakes when they're already at the intersection and it has just turned yellow.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:58 AM

436 posts, read 1,121,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
you. have. got. to. be. kidding. me.
I feel your pain.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:01 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbillyx View Post
Wow, now that's just stupid. I agree with you that those people are morons. Those lights were really red. I'm more referring to the fact that some people have a tendency to slam on the brakes when they're already at the intersection and it has just turned yellow.
If they don't have time to make it through the intersection before it turns red, then they should be slamming on the brakes. That way they are not doing anything illegal. If you are behind them and don't have time to stop, then you are the one doing something illegal.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:20 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
I think easy fix is remove the camera (even though I don't mind them there) and just increase the red to green swtich, you know like in an intersection and you wondered that no one is moving from any direction? Those have a longer switch time. So, you reduce the T accident, hopefully. Now we all loss some driving time, but so what if it reduce accident.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
If they don't have time to make it through the intersection before it turns red, then they should be slamming on the brakes. That way they are not doing anything illegal. If you are behind them and don't have time to stop, then you are the one doing something illegal.
i think you place way too much faith in the common sense of your fellow motorists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay