Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Florida: St. Petersburg, job market, cost of living, housing stock, safe area.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 07:58 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times

Advertisements

Um, there IS a Florida City, FL. So maybe jenrockhill wasn't totally wrong.....

Florida City, Florida - Gateway to National Parks & the Keys

Meanwhile, back to the topic....Lakeland is a nice area. Convenient to Tampa & Orlando. And when I-4 construction is finally finished (or they put in a toll road), the commute to both areas will be convenient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 10:20 PM

7 posts, read 13,441 times
No offense, but anyone who misspell (mis-spell) doesn't need to be in a well paying job either. And by the way, I have my (own) successful business. Are you being paid to work on a (JOB)? If so, you are JUST OVER BROKE. Don't hate because I have my MBA.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:26 PM

Finally, somebody knows more about Florida. Yes, there is a Florida City, Florida.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:49 PM

I am so glad you can see the light. It gets boring after two years and even more boring after 20 years.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:06 AM

6 posts, read 18,207 times
Arrow NO city buses in Brandon?

Maybe you should try the HART website...I found the buses run in Brandon just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbetterhere View Post
Ok, so you want to move to Florida. First of all it has to be your own decision. However, if you want my honesty about Florida I'll tell you. I recently moved from Florida in the fall of 2006 after being there all of my life. My last place of residence was in Brandon, Florida for the past three years. I can tell you that Brandon is a nice place to live among Valrico and North Tampa Palms. However unless you are bringing a pot of gold, be prepared to spend 60% or more of your income on rent/mortgage and utilities if you decide to move in any of these areas. Not to mention property taxes and car insurance which is another story.

Anyway, after relocating to Texas I finally realized that I spent too many years in a city that lags behind in their school system, jobs and overall development. Tampa is a medium size country town with mostly rednecks, retirees, yankees, college kids and your everyday poor to medium working class. To get ahead in Tampa you either need to know someone who sincerely wants you succeed with them in the upper level jobs or kiss butt to get to the top. a lot of people in Tampa will try to use you and that is one of their biggest problems. If you seem to be outspoken more educated or has some intelligence about yourself then you are posed as a threat.

Tampa has a lot of racism and some of them will try to hold you back from getting the top positions or even getting your foot in the door. None of this has to do with being negative because I was paid well on my last job there, until the company went out business last year. But those favors don't automatically happen in a city like Tampa.They are still with those old-fashion mind-sets and stero-types that only certain people should hold top positions. I'm not talking about being the lead cook at a restaurant, a shoe store or the top manager for some kind of mediocor business. I'm talking about the jobs that can really pay your bills so that you won't have to rob peter to pay paul and still have money left to spend elsewhere. Such as human relations, accounting, finances and executive jobs for those like me who holds a MBA in management and a BA in HR.

Forget about ALL THE HIPE you heard about Florida. Yes the weather is good until hurricane season comes. Everybody gets really crazy and start emptying all the shelves in the grocery stores. Your'e sware its a famine going on the way these people be reacting. I can admitt that these hurricanes is no joke in Florda. Just be prepared to join the crowd.I went to visit Tampa last month and all I can say is that I am GLAD that I finally took the steps to change my life. The homes in Texas is far better than those in Florida for the price. The weather may be colder but its a lot cleaner than living in Florida period. The culture is more diverse and the jobs pay a lot more than Florida cheapy jobs. By the time we got to Alabama we could see the smokey fog hanging over Florida from the wild fires like a sheet. We almost changed our mind but in stead went to Orlando.

If you are looking for great wages, low cost of living and a good school system than Florida is not the place. But if you are looking for sunshine and blue skys, beaches and entertainment then Florida may be the place. Always remember, Disney World, Universal Studios, the beaches, and all the golden sand in Florida will not pay your bills. Too many people are overrating florida but the truth is the whole state EXECEPTIONS to Maimi (my original home town) lags too far behind. Tampa doesn't have mass transportation like Miami does. So if you move to Brandon be sure to have a GOOD running car or else you'll be bumming for a ride. No city buses in Brandon or Valrico. I can go on and on but hopeful you get the point. JUST SAY NO to Florida. Its only good if you want to visit and THATS IT!

Old 05-22-2008, 11:56 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
I moved to Florida in 2000 and love it. To keep it short. If you like the hot summers and climate than you don't have to think twice about that. Most things that were described itsbetterhere are his/her personal reasons. I have most positive experiences living over here and compaired to Europe, this is great. I know for culture there is more in Europe but all other things on a daily base, are much better over here.
I haven't seen or experienced any racial issues what so ever but that is also personal. I love Florida and the USA.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:39 PM

127 posts, read 427,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlymel View Post
Okay well thank you everyone for your honesty and suggestions. As much as I love Florida whenever I'm there, I guess it might not be the place for us to live. I do know for sure that we can NOT stay here anymore, and if we're going to make a big move I'd rather it be somewhere that we'll know people, but the only options are other parts of Illinois and Iowa, which are also freezing and I cannot stand it. Texas sounds nice from what some people said but we don't know anyone there and I've never even been there, so I'm really not sure about that either. I know we still have a long time (unless we decide to move sooner, my husband is doing his school online, so a move won't really affect that), but now I really have no idea where to even begin looking to go to, if not somewhere that I'm already familiar with.
Please do not reconsider your decision to move to Florida just because of a handful of people who happen to hate it here. Many people blame the misery in their lives on the place they happen to live instead of looking at the real reasons. I have lived in the Bay area all of my life and like it very much. I have a family and have many friends and co-workers that really like it hear as well. Take all of the negativity on this board with a huge grain of salt. Best of luck to you

Old 05-22-2008, 12:46 PM

717 posts, read 773,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbetterhere View Post
No offense, but anyone who misspell (mis-spell) doesn't need to be in a well paying job either. And by the way, I have my (own) successful business. Are you being paid to work on a (JOB)? If so, you are JUST OVER BROKE. Don't hate because I have my MBA.
Calm down there. An MBA is no big deal. In the corporate world today it is expected. You are no financial genius because you have an MBA. I am Unimpressed.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:55 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,937 times
All I know is, I'm constantly trying to find a way to move back to St. Petersburg. I just found out today that I might be able to keep my current job and work remotely, so I'd move back in October. St. Pete lacks good chinese food, but I'll take it.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:17 PM

28 posts, read 91,673 times
I have lived here since 91 and love it,there is alot of crime in the bay area if you watch the news but I have never experianced 1st hand and I live 15 blocks away from central ave,most of the time I do forget to lock my doors,just be aware of your surroundings and cautious, I would be more concerned about finding a decent job here then with the crime, decent ,good paying jobs are becoming more difficult to find here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay