Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 10:11 AM

5 posts, read 9,147 times

Advertisements

hey everyone, my family and I are relocating from boston ma, to clearwater fl this coming fall. It is myself my mother and 2 brothers we range in age from 18-56, need access to public transportation, a low crime neighborhood and within walking distance to Clearwater beach as I am a bartender and my mother works at a yacht club here in MA.. We attempted this move 3 yrs ago, unfortunatly we were "robbed" for the home we rented was non-existant, our stupid mistake for moving the way we did, this time looking to move more correctly, lol, any syggestion on rental agents in the area?? Or any other info would be much appreciated! thank you all so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 10:49 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,306,244 times
You might have to forget about walking to Clearwater Beach. There are homes and apartments on the island, but I'd imagine that rent is pretty high. Clearwater has a bus system (part of the county system), but I think bus frequency would be your biggest problem.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:48 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Crime can happen anywhere so cant guarantee a safe neighborhood.
I'd say anything close enough to walk to the beach is probably going to be pricey but thats just a guess and i could be wrong .
Bus schedule seems to be OK with buses 76-78 going to Clearwater
PSTA Bus Schedules

Old 01-23-2011, 04:31 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Actually the Suncoast Beach Trolley services Clearwater Beach, rather than PSTA. Service is run out of the Park Street Terminal east of downtown Clearwater at Lincoln and Park south of Cleveland Street.. Additionally the last trolley through Clearwater Beach comes through just after midnight which may or may not affect a bartender's work schedule. There are stable residential areas nearby which would be walking distance to the terminal. North of Cleveland Street and east of MLK Avenue is the Country Club Estates neighborhood which has a mix of houses and apartments. The further east of MLK is generally best. South of Cleveland Street near the terminal are a couple of rough looking blocks but most blocks look/seem fine. I would look at a couple of real estate firms for rentals that have an office in the immediate area of downtown Clearwater. Craigslist is a useful tool, though like anything else in life, if it seems too good to be true it probably is. Google Street View is also very useful. Type in an address on Google Maps and click on the location icon for "Street View". You can literally explore the whole area by going up and down each street. Good luck!

Old 01-23-2011, 05:40 PM

thanks for the info on public transportation, a few more questions if i may, here in boston or south of (which is where i am currently) everything essantial is within walking distance ie; market, banks, post office etc, is clearwater like this, or any areas of clearwater in specific that sound like this a street name possibly..

Also please note that I've only been here once b4 and given the unfortunate circumstances did not get to explore the area much so in all honesty it may sound crazy that we would move somewhere not knowing the area at all, but its cold here, its 8* out side right now so for a family with no vehicle a warmer climate is ideal for us, upon internet search I've read wonderful reviews on the tampa bay area..

Also does the state have any type of health insurance program, massachusetts has healthcare for every resident based upon your income if you can not obtain it personally or through your employee..

Old 01-23-2011, 07:34 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashes127 View Post
thanks for the info on public transportation, a few more questions if i may, here in boston or south of (which is where i am currently) everything essantial is within walking distance ie; market, banks, post office etc, is clearwater like this, or any areas of clearwater in specific that sound like this a street name possibly..

Also please note that I've only been here once b4 and given the unfortunate circumstances did not get to explore the area much so in all honesty it may sound crazy that we would move somewhere not knowing the area at all, but its cold here, its 8* out side right now so for a family with no vehicle a warmer climate is ideal for us, upon internet search I've read wonderful reviews on the tampa bay area..

Also does the state have any type of health insurance program, massachusetts has healthcare for every resident based upon your income if you can not obtain it personally or through your employee..
The central core of Clearwater has much within walking distance. The Cleveland Street or Missouri Avenue corridors have pretty much everything along them. Florida is quite backwards in terms of providing health insurance benefits for lower income residents. The only programs I know of are Medicaid which requires one to be destitute, or a program for only children in low income families. That is one of the benefits of living in a state with an income tax. Finding an employer that offers some form of health insurance is crucial here.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:37 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,306,244 times
Depending on where you live, walking to various places is a real possibility. I don't think Clearwater has any grocery stores on the mainland near the Causeway, but there is a Publix in the Island Way neighborhood between Downtown and the beach.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:15 AM

thank you so much for your informative responses, it's much appreciated and very useful!

Old 01-24-2011, 11:52 AM

2 posts, read 3,111 times
for adults without health insurance and relatively low incomes there are the health departments and a social service agency which will help you most times for free. Even if you do receive Medicaid, there are no dental benefits other than novacain extractions. I just moved here from mass and the benefits here are horrible, they think the cost of living is lower, but its really costly. food is more expensive. the coupons suck and there are no double coupons at the grocery store. there are water bills that combined with the electric to run heat and ac you will pay as much if not more for utilities. The temps have been running 50* cooler than average. renters insurance will cost you twice as much if not more. Im not familiar with bostons public transportation as I am from western ma, but the bus runs every day and late into the evening - like albany.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:12 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,655,613 times
Island Way is a lovely and safe neighborhood, and its possible you could get a rental cheaper when its for a longer lease term (not just seasonal). You would have job prospects within walking or biking distance for you and your Mom. Good luck, do you know anyone down here that could check places out for you ?? How about any connection you have through a church (maybe your minister/pastor could call down to a clearwater affiliated church). ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay