Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 01:27 PM

8 posts, read 22,035 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am looking to rent a house close to Clearwater to visit my elderly Aunt this summer. I am looking at this house : 790 38th avenue south. St. Petersburg Fl 33705

My aunt has told me that certain parts of St. Petersburg are bad neighborhoods. I don't know how to tell. Can anyone tell me if this house is in a safe neighborhood? The price is right for me but want to do my homework.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 01:39 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,607,924 times
Not terrible, but I would say it might be iffy.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:52 PM

Really? Well that's not reassuring! I am so confused trying to find a place to rent
on a budget.

I have found a house in Port Richey. 7723 Pier Rd. PORT RICHEY, FL 34668
That one is a very good price too.

Also, I am going to be blunt here and tell you that my husband is Arab, and I am of Asian descent ( Thai). I am little bit concerned about racism in Florida.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:59 PM

39 posts, read 174,801 times
I agree with Maggi07. This area is not the most crime ridden place in the city but it is a hike to Clearwater.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecat1 View Post
Really? Well that's not reassuring! I am so confused trying to find a place to rent
on a budget.

I have found a house in Port Richey. 7723 Pier Rd. PORT RICHEY, FL 34668
That one is a very good price too.

Also, I am going to be blunt here and tell you that my husband is Arab, and I am of Asian descent ( Thai). I am little bit concerned about racism in Florida.
I don't think you would encounter any problems in St. Pete as far as racism. I believe most of the major metro areas around here are pretty OK.

I can't speak for Port Richey though, I don't know much about it.

FloridaDerby makes a good point about drive times, too. If you wanted to drive from the first house you posted up to Clearwater it might take you an hour, depending on what time of day it was.

Have you looked in Clearwater? I believe there are reasonably priced places there, especially if you are willing to consider apartments.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:11 PM

Oh yeah . I just mapped it. 37 minutes from my Aunt's house. That's too far. We'll pay in gas what we'll save on rent. Wellll.... then how about that Port Richey address I posted above? That's 24 minutes. How is that area? My Aunt did not mention any issues with crime in Port Richey.

I have looked in Clearwater. It's a little bit more expensive. I am willing to consider apartments. The houses I posed above were both asking for 350 a week.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:15 PM

What kind of budget do you have? You might be able to find something in Largo or Seminole or somewhere around there.

I can't comment on the Port Richey neighborhood, but google maps says it's 38 minutes from that address to Clearwater.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:26 PM

Hi, that's true, but when I did my Aunt's EXACT address it was 24 minutes, which isn't too bad. Considering everything I have priced, I am trying to stay under 500 dollars in the rental. Once you factor in car rentals , and the costs of visiting places, everything adds up and I am on a budget.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecat1 View Post
Hi, that's true, but when I did my Aunt's EXACT address it was 24 minutes, which isn't too bad. Considering everything I have priced, I am trying to stay under 500 dollars in the rental. Once you factor in car rentals , and the costs of visiting places, everything adds up and I am on a budget.
Honestly, with that budget you are going to be very very limited. I did a search and found some one bedroom apartments for $500 or a bit under, but that's it. You probably will not want to live in an area where houses are renting for less than $500. If there's any way you could come up a bit, maybe to $850 or so, you would find more.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:22 PM

436 posts, read 1,121,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
Honestly, with that budget you are going to be very very limited. I did a search and found some one bedroom apartments for $500 or a bit under, but that's it. You probably will not want to live in an area where houses are renting for less than $500. If there's any way you could come up a bit, maybe to $850 or so, you would find more.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Your neighbors will be questionable if you're paying under $500.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay