Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 05:28 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,761,394 times

Advertisements

WESLEY CHAPEL - Two days before closing on a house, Eugene Vrooman got bad news: If he didn't come up with $14,000, the homeowners association wouldn't allow his deal to go through.

In addition to unpaid assessments, the Bridgewater Community Association demanded money for cosmetic repairs to the home, which had been vacant for more than a year. It wanted the exterior of the 4-year-old house cleaned and painted, weeds pulled and new sod.

"My wife and I were just devastated," Vrooman said. "We've been working on this deal for six months. We planned to clean up the home, but we want to do the work ourselves, not some homeowners association. This just feels like extortion."
Homeowner fees 'like extortion,' homeowner says
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 05:46 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,455,798 times
Plenty of other houses out there - give it up and let the HOA be in misery.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:26 PM

5,025 posts, read 7,228,646 times
Hmmm.. how can I start my own HOA? What a racket.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:05 AM

I understand that the HOA and home owners who are underwater are frustrated with the drug dealing that went on over there and other mess...but the way they are now handling it, is clearly not helping the situation either....

Old 09-07-2010, 08:31 AM

2 posts, read 8,208 times
Thanks for posting this!

Old 09-07-2010, 08:02 PM

794 posts, read 1,861,632 times
I read this story in the Sunday paper. It's appalling what HOA's are doing these days. How can they steal this dream house from these poor people? Too bad the guy wasn't an attorney who could sue their assess.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:07 PM

I never heard that other HOA's are doing the same...so this might only be happening in Bridgewater and I feel for the Home owners who really try to sell and can't get out of this mess.

It is also sad for the people who stayed and did the right thing...the president is probably thinking he is doing the right thing too, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work...but we need to hear the story from both sides...

Old 09-08-2010, 08:19 AM

2 posts, read 8,208 times
bentlebee, it was actually my family's home to be purchased.
we spent MONTHS negotiating the sale, were ready to move. I have small children and we had to scramble to find a new home.
I can give you any details you would like.

Note: Mr. Spector and his BOD blocked the sale of this home for "pending assessments" this was not fees truly owed to the HOA. They had not sent any notices to the owners indicating any work needed to be done, they had not performed any work or spent any time/money on this home. They had not placed a lien which is the only legal way they can collect funds for violations. In addition to attempting to collect fees that were not truly owed they inflated these fees, such as $100 to clean a PVC mailbox. The agent put some bleach on it (about 50 cents worth) and it was sparkling white again. $6200 to paint a 4 year old 2K sq ft home.....absurd.
The sad part of this is that this home will foreclose and the HOA will not get ANY of the money they demanded at closing for pending assessments. They are only hurting themselves and dragging others along for the ride. If Mr. Spector is so concerned with the value of his own home he is handling this the WRONG way! we found another house, not as large and with about 50K less in upgrades in the SAME AREA and guess what??? the appraisal is only 2K less....why??? because NO ONE wants to live in Bridgewater, and this is why....so the sales prices keep dropping for JUST that subdivision...pull a comp in palm cove and see comparable houses THOUSANDS of dollars higher.
For the sake of people who DO live there, he really needs to wake up.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:08 AM

Sad to hear that someone thinks he is doing the right thing while chasing people out and buyers away.

Luckily most HOA's aren't like that. I deal with many HOA's incl. the homes I own in HOA communities and I never heard of things like this.

But for you in the end it turned out for the best for you so you won't be stuck in that community...sad for the seller though...It could easily be different and what about freedom to paint your own home in the required colors....this is more dictatorship...

Old 09-09-2010, 04:41 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,206,774 times
The HOAs in many communities let the power go to their heads. What about the person who put down artificial grass to keep a green yard?

I can understand the house painting though.. if you have never lived someplace where one person painted their house buccaneer orange and another painted theirs a bright purple with pink trim you would appreciate a color chart of required colors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: