Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 12:27 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,382,129 times

Advertisements

I think in general traffic has gotten worse over the last ten years due to the influx of people to the area.

Having lived both in Pasco and Hillsborough counties, I will say that the very worst is 19 from Pinellas County north. Of course, it is worse during the winter time with all the snowbirds driving their large cars with their wrap-around cataract sunglasses...

The Brandon/Valrico area is a lot more congested, too. Highway 60 and Bloomingdale Ave. are both handling a much larger volume of traffic compared to 10 years ago, at least it appears that way. Bloomingdale during rush hour is a real nightmare these days. Highway 60 is much the same as well, at least in my opinion.

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 07:22 AM

463 posts, read 1,053,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
this is not unique to the sunshine state.

ALL metro areas experience "me first" drivers. all of them.

learn defensive driving techniques to minimize the chances of one of these idiots hitting you.
You guys don't hold monopoly in terrible driving, but only in florida i've seen people entering the intersection when the other side gets green light. And it's not an isolated incident either. In 4 months here, people tried to ram me multiple times, in 6 months in cincinnati i did not experienced same thing, and i drove almost 3 times further to work than i do now.
Maybe it's just bad luck, but you have to be carefull here.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:08 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,309,843 times
Every place I have lived except Texas, people drove like idiots. Tampa is no exception. Everyones definition is different. I think we can all agree that people blowing red lights and not using turn signals are a-holes.

I am a fast driver, I have places to go, I have a busy schedule. Yes, thinktank, I drive a black BMW- so I seem to fit your profile perfectly. I will do 55 in a 45 in dale mabry in light traffic. I wil change lanes to get around people going slower than me. I will get frustrated when people slow down at a yellow, but had the time to make it through if they had just picked it up a bit. I think those people, impeding progress are a pain in the butt, they think the same about me.

All of this said, I ALWAYS use my turn signal. ALWAYS. But... I put it on last second, because if I put it on any longer in advance, I am giving the a-hole in the other lane a chance to speed up and block me. Now... I pose this question: Who is the A-Hole in this scenario?

I drive quick, but wouldnt consider myself an aggressive or offensive driver. I grew up in NY and I am partially a product of my upbringing, partially a product of my environment. I have a lot to do each day, and if I can shave 10 minutes off a commute, that is pretty sweet in my book. I'll never attempt to save 10 minutes at the cost of mine or others safety though. But if you are in the left lane, get the hell out of my way, dont really care how fast you are going. Doing the speed limit? If I am coming up on you, move over, let the cop sitting down the road give me a ticket.

On a semi funny note, I was on 375 (i think) in st pete and i passed an abulance with its lights on, it was night time, and they were working on someone in the back. I said to my friend "do you think it is wrong to pass an ambulance, they have someone dying in the back on the way to the hospital, and we are acting like we have somewhere more important to go." He suggested that we offer a ride to the person in the back. They were prob doing about 70, I was doing about 80.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:23 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,852,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethinktank View Post
Traffic is really bad at present. Over the last two weeks, traffic has been frustrating, but it's not the volume of traffic, it's the quality of traffic. Now more so than ever, no one uses their turn signals, no one pays attention to the traffic around them, people block lanes for no reason and seem to feel like the entire road is their own.

Being aware and respectful of other cars on the road is so simple. In fact, it can save lives. But idiots think that they are special, that they don't need to use turn signals, that their black-bmw/raised-pickup/corvette-trash gives them the right to rev the engines on the road... These people need to go back to traffic school and take a good hard look at what it means to be respectful and courteous to those they share the road with. It's not their road, but they sure treat it that way.

No matter what you drive, you and your vehicle are not special. You are a note in a symphony that could fall apart if you don't properly respect the other notes (cars) and the conductor (traffic laws). Here's to hoping Floridians learn to respect the symphony more so than their own needs on the open road.
I think it is funny that you mention this. I have a long-standing joke with my friend that a turn signal does not come standard in Mercedes. When they buy the car they don't feel the need to pay for that extra feature that they will never use since everyone knows that Mercedes owners are more special than us Commoners. We are all supposed to sit back and let them do whatever they want because they spent so much more on their car than we did. I honestly cannot remember even one time seeing a Mercedes with its turn signal on.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
I honestly cannot remember even one time seeing a Mercedes with its turn signal on.
that is absurd. and you can buy a used late model mercedes c class for under $10K.

Maybe you should stop hating on people who work hard to afford nicer things than you.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
All of this said, I ALWAYS use my turn signal. ALWAYS. But... I put it on last second, because if I put it on any longer in advance, I am giving the a-hole in the other lane a chance to speed up and block me. Now... I pose this question: Who is the A-Hole in this scenario?
Ok. I understand that there are annoying people out there that will block you for no reason except they don't want you in front of them. I personally don't understand that. I can tell you though that if I see a turn signal on next to me, I will back off a bit to let the person over (unless it is unsafe to do so). I am also one of those crazy people that will let someone out of a parking lot in front of me when I am sitting at a red light. I will purposely stop a little bit back to leave space for them to get out. I know it's is crazy. I could be sitting at a stop a few feet further forward, but instead let someone out so that they aren't stuck for possibly several lights.

I like to follow a basic rule when around other human beings whether they are in a car, walking through a store, or even online. Treat others as you would like to be treated. It really isn't hard, and you will get a kick out of the shocked looks on people's faces when they realize someone is actually being decent to them instead of using their car as a weapon.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:44 AM

58 posts, read 100,708 times
I 275 was never finished because the state ran out of money. In the next couple if years it will be fixed, that might help traffic on that road.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
that is absurd. and you can buy a used late model mercedes c class for under $10K.

Maybe you should stop hating on people who work hard to afford nicer things than you.
Wow. I was shocked when I read this. So many things popped into my head.

1. I never said I couldn't afford one. I just said that they spent more on a car. Big difference.
2. You say that like I am on here several times a day complaining about "people who work hard to afford nicer things" than me. I made a silly half-joking comment one time and you jump all over it.
3. Either you really are this harsh, or your comments are worded poorly because you really came across harsh in this post.

I work very hard to be able to afford the things in my life that I find necessary and for the things that I like to splurge on. An expensive car isn't one of them. Just because I don't drive a fancy car doesn't mean I don't have the same rights on the road as you.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Wow. I was shocked when I read this. So many things popped into my head.

1. I never said I couldn't afford one. I just said that they spent more on a car. Big difference.
2. You say that like I am on here several times a day complaining about "people who work hard to afford nicer things" than me. I made a silly half-joking comment one time and you jump all over it.
3. Either you really are this harsh, or your comments are worded poorly because you really came across harsh in this post.

I work very hard to be able to afford the things in my life that I find necessary and for the things that I like to splurge on. An expensive car isn't one of them. Just because I don't drive a fancy car doesn't mean I don't have the same rights on the road as you.
Actually, I am sorry I wrote that. I think I have apologized like 3 times in my entire life because, well, lets face it... I am always right. But I am sorry. That was rude of me. You seem like a pretty good person.

I am a car person, that is why I drive a nice car. I appreciate automobiles, the way some people appreciate comic books or video games. I know a lot of people with nice cars that are curteous drivers.

Again- I apologize. I do think the fact that you have never seen a mercedes driver use a turn signal is crazy. My first BMW was $200. I didnt think I was special driving it. The car I have now does make a statement that I am likely successful, but I do not believe it makes me special in any way shape or form. I think it is unfair people automatically think I am an a-hole for driving a nice car.

As a side note, I am pretty harsh. most of the times it translates into brutal comedic honesty. I say things to get a rise out of people.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:35 PM

451 posts, read 934,167 times
Quote:
I think it is funny that you mention this. I have a long-standing joke with my friend that a turn signal does not come standard in Mercedes. When they buy the car they don't feel the need to pay for that extra feature that they will never use since everyone knows that Mercedes owners are more special than us Commoners. We are all supposed to sit back and let them do whatever they want because they spent so much more on their car than we did. I honestly cannot remember even one time seeing a Mercedes with its turn signal on.
You might enjoy this thread I started here on City Data last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay