Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2011, 10:17 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,759,472 times

Advertisements

Some of you know my dislike for the area (still counting down the days we are stationed here), but I realized something... The lack of spiders here!

Back home in Nebraska we would see a ton of spiders, especially in the winter. Easily 2-5 spiders a week of various sizes, but mostly small. I have a pretty big spider fear though, so even a little one would send me screaming for my husband.

Today I saw a spider in the kitchen sink, wasnt too big, just washed him down the drain. But it got me thinking and made me realize, I think since we moved here in July, there have only been maybe 3 or 4 spiders total that i've seen in my house. Maybe it has to do with the fact this house is very well built with new windows and such, but just surprises me!

Yay for another positive!

Off topic, we finally went to the beach for the first time since we've been here too. Our 3 month old baby *hated* the water, although it was rather cold. We got a pretty cute reaction video for his future wife to watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 10:19 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,382,129 times
Probably because the lizards eat them?

RM

Old 03-20-2011, 11:28 PM

Ah that is a good point, we do have a lot of lizards around our house, must be why this hawk hangs out in our back yard:

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/196920_133962690009270_100001866184330_232577_3043 451_n.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-21-2011, 08:01 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,125,986 times
I;m not so sure if there are any less spiders here than most places or if you happened to used to live in an area that had a lot of Spiders in Nebraska.

So glad you guys finally made it to the beach. Brandon is a long way away from the beach, no matter what anyone says. So sorry you dislike it down here so much, but I do appreciate you posting a positive. To be honest, if I live in Brandon I wouldn't like it down here either. Traffic, the people and the lifestyle there just isn;t my cup of tea.

Here's to hoping you end up liking it better here!!

Old 03-21-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
I;m not so sure if there are any less spiders here than most places or if you happened to used to live in an area that had a lot of Spiders in Nebraska.

So glad you guys finally made it to the beach. Brandon is a long way away from the beach, no matter what anyone says. So sorry you dislike it down here so much, but I do appreciate you posting a positive. To be honest, if I live in Brandon I wouldn't like it down here either. Traffic, the people and the lifestyle there just isn;t my cup of tea.

Here's to hoping you end up liking it better here!!
Well, I did live in various parts of Omaha and surrounding area, and all of them had lots of spiders. Come to think of it, the one place that had a lack of spiders was the one that was surrounded by woods.

It is a bit of a way to the beach, it took us about 45 mins to an hr to get from Brandon (near riverview) to Indian rocks. I actually like brandon as a whole. I really love my neighbors, they make my stay here very bearable. Its a *very* close knit neighborhood. I dont live in a gated community, nothing like that, but my area has a lot of families and they actually get together and watch out for eachother etc.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:42 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,084,859 times
You're right, come to think of it. I don't see many spiders either. Up north it wouldn't be uncommon to find a massive spider web on my car in the morning, but I never see that here. I wonder why that is. Have you noticed the lack of lightning bugs?

That's a beautiful picture of the hawk, by the way. I think that's an Osprey. I've seen one knock a squirel out of a tree and then snatch it up! It's like National Geographic in your own front yard sometimes! You have to watch it with small dogs - hawks and owls will try to make a meal out of them.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:55 AM

I dont think i noticed any lightning bugs down here this summer actually I kinda miss them. When I was a child, i was a mean little girl and would squish them to see their guts glow on the sidewalk.

I'm pretty sure its not an Osprey, I'm fairly certain its a red shouldered hawk (which eats lizards, mice, small things like that). I do have a 5 lb dog, which is why I was worried and tried to identify that bird.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:09 PM

23 posts, read 87,013 times
rezfreak,

How do you know the spider was a male?

Old 03-21-2011, 08:22 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,607,924 times
That's a beautiful picture!

There seem to be fewer spiders down here than there were in Michigan, too. We used to get wolf spiders in the house every fall. I am not a fan of those. They can get pretty big and they are fast.

We did have a Huntsman spider in the porch at our last house here. That thing was enormous. Including the legs, it was definitely bigger than the palm of my hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay