Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 12:25 PM

23 posts, read 136,177 times

Advertisements

I seen something online about apartments in Pinellas county for persons with low income. Does anyone know anything about these apartments, and what are the qualifications for being able to rent one of these units.

The web site that I found these apts. on was a government site for Pinellas county, and the list is quite large for apts. for low income individuals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 02:58 PM

849 posts, read 3,529,826 times
Default Heres the link

Pinellas County Housing Authorit (http://www.pin-cha.org/housingprograms.htm - broken link)
There was a private organization trying to help but they were running out of money. Most of these will not be in very good areas to say the least.
We have homeless people living on the streets who WORK DECENT JOBS. I really don't want to discourage you o too much because you seem like a nice woman who wants to improve here situation but this is not a very generous or welcoming area and you will really be expected to stand on your own. The local food banks barely had enough food this past Xmas to provide for all their clients and barely got enough to provide holiday dinners. Thieves broke into several churches to steal food donations and right now thieves are stealing the tomato crop out of the fields. Of course that's big business with the price of tomatoes being what it is. That's how desperate things are. another target for thieves is coper. They're actually stealing air conditioners to get the copper tubing.
When others suggested not coming here without a job, this is why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmoore75 View Post
I seen something online about apartments in Pinellas county for persons with low income. Does anyone know anything about these apartments, and what are the qualifications for being able to rent one of these units.

The web site that I found these apts. on was a government site for Pinellas county, and the list is quite large for apts. for low income individuals.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:45 PM

I totally understand what you are saying. Your town sounds a lot like the town that I live in, except for the sub zero winters. The homeless here often freeze to death! The local police will arrest the homeless when the temp. falls in the single digits, for their own well being, since the area shelter will not take them in if they are intoxicated- which is usually the cause for being homeless here; except for mental illness.

Without getting too personal, my situation here in Ohio is extemely bad. I have to get out of here. I am not completley sure if my move will be to Pinellas county. I do know one thing, it has to be better there than here. The national unemployment rate for Ohio is 6.2% verses the 3.2% rate for Florida. Ohio has been ranked the wosrt state in the union, in terms of the cost of living ratio vs. the employment wage. Everyday, hundreds of people are moving out of Ohio.

I know that moving there is in no way going to be easy; however, my husband and I are pretty determined people, and I always believe that if there is a will, there's a way! We are by far material people, and if roughing it is what we will have to do for a little while, then so be it!

I know how hard it can be to move to an unfamiliar place. I used to live in L.A., and in a town near Houston. The main reason the we are really considering Pinellas county is b/c my husband has an uncle there in New Port Richie. If we were to get in a jam, at least we will have family.

We are not giving up anything here in Ohio. We don't own a home. We lost our apartment, due to circumstances that was beyond our control. all of our belongings are already in storage. We don't have any children. We are still pretty young. We have saved up a decent amount of money. I mentioned before in another thread, my husband possibly could have something lined up by the time we get down there. He is employed with Aerotek, which is also in your area. If things don't work out there for us, well I guess that we can chalk it up to a much needed vacation!!!!!!!!!!! So, thank you for all of your input. I am definately taking to heart what everyone is saying.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:04 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,318,604 times
Being homeless or living in a housing project in Florida is not a vacation.

I know.

Florida may be cheaper than it was a year ago, but it is still not cheaper than Ohio.

I doubt those stats.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:28 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,608,435 times
You may also search for low income housing throughout the state of Florida at Welcome to the Florida Housing Coalition.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:31 PM

Every web site that I looked at proves that Fl is in much better shape than Ohio. Check a few out if you don't believe what I am saying. I have been doing a lot of research in this area. I never said that Fl was cheaper than Ohio. Also, people become homeless for a reason. If a person is determined, not addicted to drugs or alcohol, and doesn't have menal illness, the chance of becoming homeless is low.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:33 PM

95 posts, read 83,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Being homeless or living in a housing project in Florida is not a vacation.

I know.

Florida may be cheaper than it was a year ago, but it is still not cheaper than Ohio.

I doubt those stats.
Believe it or not, as pitiful as FL is Ohio still has it beat!

Old 02-14-2008, 05:36 PM

Default That sounds like a good plan

we don't need to know your particulars and the uncle sounds like your safety net. In that case I day go for it. You seem to have grasped what I and others were saying about the negatives. WE jsut want you to have a happy and successful transition even if it's hard.

Quote:
I totally understand what you are saying. Your town sounds a lot like the town that I live in, except for the sub zero winters. The homeless here often freeze to death! The local police will arrest the homeless when the temp. falls in the single digits, for their own well being, since the area shelter will not take them in if they are intoxicated- which is usually the cause for being homeless here; except for mental illness.

Without getting too personal, my situation here in Ohio is extemely bad. I have to get out of here. I am not completley sure if my move will be to Pinellas county. I do know one thing, it has to be better there than here. The national unemployment rate for Ohio is 6.2% verses the 3.2% rate for Florida. Ohio has been ranked the wosrt state in the union, in terms of the cost of living ratio vs. the employment wage. Everyday, hundreds of people are moving out of Ohio.

I know that moving there is in no way going to be easy; however, my husband and I are pretty determined people, and I always believe that if there is a will, there's a way! We are by far material people, and if roughing it is what we will have to do for a little while, then so be it!

I know how hard it can be to move to an unfamiliar place. I used to live in L.A., and in a town near Houston. The main reason the we are really considering Pinellas county is b/c my husband has an uncle there in New Port Richie. If we were to get in a jam, at least we will have family.

We are not giving up anything here in Ohio. We don't own a home. We lost our apartment, due to circumstances that was beyond our control. all of our belongings are already in storage. We don't have any children. We are still pretty young. We have saved up a decent amount of money. I mentioned before in another thread, my husband possibly could have something lined up by the time we get down there. He is employed with Aerotek, which is also in your area. If things don't work out there for us, well I guess that we can chalk it up to a much needed vacation!!!!!!!!!!! So, thank you for all of your input. I am definately taking to heart what everyone is saying.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:39 PM

Default homeless

I think the majority of our homeless are "misfits" but really here the percentage of decent, hardworking people with families on the streets is shocking. Rents are so high and the foreclosure rate thru the roof that it's been happening to people who had an illness or other mishap and can't manage on what they could just a year or so ago.

Quote:
Every web site that I looked at proves that Fl is in much better shape than Ohio. Check a few out if you don't believe what I am saying. I have been doing a lot of research in this area. I never said that Fl was cheaper than Ohio. Also, people become homeless for a reason. If a person is determined, not addicted to drugs or alcohol, and doesn't have menal illness, the chance of becoming homeless is low.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:00 PM

331 posts, read 1,545,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiesma View Post
Pinellas County Housing Authorit (http://www.pin-cha.org/housingprograms.htm - broken link)
but this is not a very generous or welcoming area and you will really be expected to stand on your own. The local food banks barely had enough food this past Xmas to provide for all their clients and barely got enough to provide holiday dinners. Thieves broke into several churches to steal food donations and right now thieves are stealing the tomato crop out of the fields. Of course that's big business with the price of tomatoes being what it is. That's how desperate things are. another target for thieves is coper. They're actually stealing air conditioners to get the copper tubing.
When others suggested not coming here without a job, this is why.
Jessiesma,
Thanks for your very informative posts, I find your opinions about the area very helpful when making my relocation plans.
Since you also seem to be familar with Sarasota, would this comment be just as applicable to Sarasota area(particularly the employment situation there) as well?
Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay