Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 02:39 PM

36 posts, read 64,899 times

Advertisements

Summertime means......thunderstorms! YES!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 03:14 PM

32 posts, read 97,320 times
Well, I just moved to St. Pete from Chicago 3 weeks ago and I am miserably hot. And we're just getting started. My roommates finally agreed to turn the AC on yesterday. It's set at 82 and I am still pretty uncomfortable.

It's going to be a loooooong summer for me.

BTW, at what temperature do you guys set your thermostat?

Old 05-11-2011, 03:22 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,759,472 times
Our thermostat is set at 78 and we keep the living room fan going on medium, plenty cool (and i still keep a blanket on my lap)

Old 05-11-2011, 03:25 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Try 80 and if that doesn't do it go to 79, then 78. You'll find it. YOu will also need to give time for your body to adjust to the new weather picture it is seeing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieL View Post
Well, I just moved to St. Pete from Chicago 3 weeks ago and I am miserably hot. And we're just getting started. My roommates finally agreed to turn the AC on yesterday. It's set at 82 and I am still pretty uncomfortable.

It's going to be a loooooong summer for me.

BTW, at what temperature do you guys set your thermostat?

Old 05-11-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Our thermostat is set at 78 and we keep the living room fan going on medium, plenty cool (and i still keep a blanket on my lap)
Yeah, I'd be thrilled to set it at 78, but one of the roommates complains that she's cold and needs to wear jeans and socks when it's set that low. And I can't take anymore clothes off.

Jesus, I need to get my own place.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Try 80 and if that doesn't do it go to 79, then 78. You'll find it. YOu will also need to give time for your body to adjust to the new weather picture it is seeing.
So true about adjusting to the heat. When I left Chicago on April 20th, the temp was 34.

If only I'd moved down here last fall so cold ease into it. Other than that, I'm really diggin' St. Pete. The people are fabulous!

Old 05-11-2011, 03:33 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,398,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
While I know you have to take the good weather with the bad...It still depresses me every year at this time thinking about the hot sticky months ahead! Am I alone??
I guess I feel the same way about our weather from October through about now I've travelled to Florida in the past during the hot/humid months. Along the coast, I like it a lot better than in the Mid-Atlantic states.

I've golfed and beached it in July and September there. Nice that everyone left empty course for us to play on Move here, many summers you'll get 3-5 weeks (maybe) a year like that. Sounds like maybe a move to SOCAL would be in order?

Old 05-11-2011, 03:46 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Is your cold roommate from Chicago too? Has she been here longer than you? I don't really think it is true, but a lot of folks say that the heat thins your blood. Thus if you're from a cold climate your blood is thicker. Again, I am not a proponent of that thinking, but the warm temps do take some time to get accustomed to. I'm a 79 inside the house guy. My wife is more an 81 82 instead the house person. Those couple of degrees sure does make a big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieL View Post
Yeah, I'd be thrilled to set it at 78, but one of the roommates complains that she's cold and needs to wear jeans and socks when it's set that low. And I can't take anymore clothes off.

Jesus, I need to get my own place.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Is your cold roommate from Chicago too? Has she been here longer than you? I don't really think it is true, but a lot of folks say that the heat thins your blood. Thus if you're from a cold climate your blood is thicker. Again, I am not a proponent of that thinking, but the warm temps do take some time to get accustomed to. I'm a 79 inside the house guy. My wife is more an 81 82 instead the house person. Those couple of degrees sure does make a big difference.
Yes, she's from Chicago, too, but she's been here since October. So....

Old 05-11-2011, 04:04 PM

30,434 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
They do stink when you are around people who don't understand what deodorant is.

Seriously though, I did complain about sitting outside for lunch. That is because since I am at work, I try to not get too hot and sweaty and then go back to work.

I will also make the complaint that there are about 2 weeks out of the year where it is too hot (for me) to go outside for extended periods. I think most Floridians know those 2 weeks where you open a door and it you get blasted with the hot air and it is almost hard to catch your breath. To me though, living through 2 weeks of that isn't too bad for the year. We get more fantastic weather for a much longer time than most of the country. I feel lucky to be here.
Anytime we are stuck in a reverse west wind flow it feels like that when ya open the door.

Once the gulf temps get above 85 and we get stuck in that reverse west wind flow, we will all pay the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay