Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 06:00 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
how do you survive in a place you mentally and physically hate?
For some its not so easy to just up and leave a place you dont feel comfortable in, Job, family, House, and many other issues can contribute to having you stay put.
Personally i can understand some peoples discomfort with the heat,if your body cant take it its no ones fault its just a problem with the body you got dealt with..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 06:17 AM

71 posts, read 218,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
I run my AC 24/7 and my bills arent sky high. After being in FL nearly a year, we've kept it between 76 and 80 (80 in summer, 76 in winter). 2k sq foot house, our winter bills got as low as 75 dollars. In the summer the highest we hit was 145 i think.
Wow...that's a great rate! We live in PA and pay a little more than that each month(using a budget plan to keep it even each month) and we are considered a low electricity user by our co. We use less electric than 84% off the population through their chart.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:59 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,741,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Just spent about 3 weeks in upstate NY....cold, windy, rainy.

Happy to be back to FLA where you can easily predict the weather and expect to see sunshine most days of the week.
Try coming up in July or August! It will be amazing.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:49 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,389,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
blahblahwordswords
all you do is crap on threads. people are tired of it. when someone calls you out on it you FLIP out and act like everyone else is insane. your routine is boring.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:09 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,418,544 times
I don't hate the summer in Florida. It just means that it's beach and pool time!

Old 05-12-2011, 09:44 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,636,710 times
I don't love the heat the way many of the posters here do, but the older I get, the better I tolerate it. A good friend once told me "get into it!". That's good advice. Stop fighting it. Find a way to enjoy it, even if that's not your natural inclination. So when I am out in it and it feels like a sauna, with the air so thick it seems like I could grab a handful and squeeze it out like a sponge, I try to take my mind off it by focusing on what I enjoy, like plants. The trees and vines and palms and everything that grows lush and green in our heat and humidity. I focus on the amazing diversity of birds. The wide expanse of sky. The brilliant daily afternoon lightshows. Because focusing on my discomfort makes me feel miserable, but focusing on the positive makes me feel grateful. And soon enough, winter rolls around and I am rewarded with weather I love. I enjoy spring, too, and even though we have already started reaching our summer temps, the heat index is nowhere near what it will be soon. This is the best time of year for me, the skies are so often that amazing clear bright blue, all the plants have awakened and started their cycles, and the weather is still quite comfortable. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Old 05-12-2011, 10:47 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,151,675 times
In the case of Public Transportation, it would be more useful for a person for you to direct an inquiry to a website that will supply the needed information instead of your stating "There is NO public Transportation here" as that statement is not inaccurate, but it is plainly incorrect.

Anyone who does not understand that it's hot in FL must be living in a cave. The title "The Sunshine State" would explain that to most people quite accurately.

In most of the U.S. hot and humid summers are the norm.
Take a listen to a 60's song "Those Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of Summer"
by Nat King Cole. It hit #6 in the charts. It describes a typical summer day ANYWHERE.

You complain about personal attacks, yet you just attacked another poster
by saying "grow up and move on".

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
How come you are not outside playing in your precious weather? "Grass is greener?" isn't that why you came here? hmmm
If I was your boss you'd be fired by now for sitting at your computer bullying people online!
Grow up and move on.

Spring, I know, but some ppl always ask about PT & weather as if it "changed" from last time it was documented! LOL... look at past posts, you can't mislead people into thinking we have this "awesome" PT here...that would be lying and that's my point. Set the expectations straight. You probably forget, but a lot of ppl up north do depend on PT and if they want to continue that down here, it may not be possible about 80% of the time.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:47 AM

52 posts, read 113,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
For some its not so easy to just up and leave a place you dont feel comfortable in, Job, family, House, and many other issues can contribute to having you stay put.
Personally i can understand some peoples discomfort with the heat,if your body cant take it its no ones fault its just a problem with the body you got dealt with..

Very true, thanks for understanding. FL is a very nice place for those who enjoy heat, and I know many that love and thrive in very hot weather.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:06 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,741,978 times
My perpective, and that of my husband. I grew up on the "frozen north", and don't cope well with extreme humidity and heat, but cope with the cold pretty well. My husband grew up on D.C., which is a hell hole in the summer. He has coped with the cold for 40 years, on the principle that: if it's cold, you can put a coat on to adjust, but if it's hot, you can't do a darned thing. But now, after 40 years in the north, his blood is still thinner than a native northerner, and he refuses cope any more, so we will now winter in Florida. But of course, we will normally leave in April, and come down in December. We were in Dunedin recently, until the beginning of May, and I thought it was glorious!

Old 05-12-2011, 01:55 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikim36 View Post
Very true, thanks for understanding. FL is a very nice place for those who enjoy heat, and I know many that love and thrive in very hot weather.
Its nice that many thrive on the Florida heat and humidity,for me its not to be as temps in the 90's with high humidity get my heart palpitating,shortness of breath, dizzyness and my skin breaks out in heat hives, no amount of positive thinking will change those physical shortcomings.Just the way it is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay