Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 11:30 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,083,605 times

Advertisements

Local, city, county, state, federal governments are always looking to get more money out of our wallets. The latest scheme is to see how they can construct additional lanes on or over I-275 to collect tolls. The same U.S. Sec. of Transportation that was pushing the HSR is now partially funding the toll lanes study.
A spokes person for the Authority stated 'This is not about converting existing lanes, it's about adding lanes'. Good thing there was clarification.
What she should have said was- If we could get away with installing toll booths at every entrance to I-275 we would, but since the highway was funded by fuel taxes and excise fees by every vehicle owner in the U.S. when they purchased a gallon of fuel, we are prohibited by law to install the toll booths. So we have to form a new bureaucracy, get our own funding [backed by the federal government] to collect new tolls. We will call the new toll lanes 'the express bus lanes' [with other vehicles paying to use] so the bus/HSR people will accept another billions of dollar boondoggle project.
I'm thinking we'll see the same names of people/groups that would have been on the Orlando-Tampa Train authoriity will also appear on the I-275 toll road authority.
Always follow the money!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 04:36 AM

769 posts, read 2,051,678 times
Depending on how much the tolls are I would certainly be willing to pay them to make my daily commute on I-275 faster and less stressful.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:59 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,308,613 times
Out of all the recent political buzzwords, "boondoggle" has to be the most irritating one.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:26 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,127,272 times
I most certainly would rather them build an express way and charge tolls for those that use it then raise gas or sales tax for everyone to pay for it. Everyone that drives those highways complains about the traffic. Sounds like a solution to the problem.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:57 PM

817 posts, read 2,251,894 times
Those lanes are awesome in Miami. I'd pony up a little bit to be able to get around faster. This could also be a funding source for light rail in the area.

As in most things, I just wish that the regional transportation authority would come together on this.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:50 PM

48 posts, read 121,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Local, city, county, state, federal governments are always looking to get more money out of our wallets. The latest scheme is to see how they can construct additional lanes on or over I-275 to collect tolls. The same U.S. Sec. of Transportation that was pushing the HSR is now partially funding the toll lanes study.
A spokes person for the Authority stated 'This is not about converting existing lanes, it's about adding lanes'. Good thing there was clarification.
What she should have said was- If we could get away with installing toll booths at every entrance to I-275 we would, but since the highway was funded by fuel taxes and excise fees by every vehicle owner in the U.S. when they purchased a gallon of fuel, we are prohibited by law to install the toll booths. So we have to form a new bureaucracy, get our own funding [backed by the federal government] to collect new tolls. We will call the new toll lanes 'the express bus lanes' [with other vehicles paying to use] so the bus/HSR people will accept another billions of dollar boondoggle project.
I'm thinking we'll see the same names of people/groups that would have been on the Orlando-Tampa Train authoriity will also appear on the I-275 toll road authority.
Always follow the money!
I can respect your opposition to such a project and expenditure. Do you have any suggestions on how then to rectify the increasing traffic situation? This area grows by the tens of thousands every year so the traffic only stands to get worse - something has got to give.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:59 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,083,605 times
Roads, highways are supposed to be built with the taxes we pay on each gallon of fuel we purchase. It's how I-75 and I-275 were built. Those taxes paid for the additional I-275 bridge over Tampa Bay. It's how an additional lane is being added, both directions on I-75 between mile marker 191 to 200 Toll road authorites are created so political hacks can get jobs, pay themselves a big salary+ bennies and 'always follow the money' have control of alot of money.
If there were billions of dollars for a 'train', why isn't there billions of dollars to add lanes to I-275? What happened to the trillion dollar 'stimulus' shovel ready projects?

Old 06-08-2011, 06:50 AM

463 posts, read 1,053,246 times
Well that trillion dollars went to multiple infrastructure projects across the country and this project was not shovel ready. No project, no money. Also I-75 was build long time ago, when we actually paid taxes and did not have two and a half wars on our hands. It would be nice to have extra lane or two to create better flow, and if this requires Miami style toll, i don't mind too much. If you don't want to pay to the "political hacks", don't drive in the toll lane. It is pretty simple.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:53 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,308,613 times
I wonder what the Feds will say? Since 275 is a federal highway, states and local governments can't just install tolls whenever they feel like it. Whenever an interstate has a toll, in most cases, the toll was there before the interstate designation and just got grandfathered in.

On a similar note, I read in the *tbt that some guy from Hillsborough County is so afraid of money getting used to build light rail that he wants to add an anti-money-for-rail clause into the county charter.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:41 PM

817 posts, read 2,251,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
I wonder what the Feds will say? Since 275 is a federal highway, states and local governments can't just install tolls whenever they feel like it. Whenever an interstate has a toll, in most cases, the toll was there before the interstate designation and just got grandfathered in.

On a similar note, I read in the *tbt that some guy from Hillsborough County is so afraid of money getting used to build light rail that he wants to add an anti-money-for-rail clause into the county charter.
Well, the OP's post did say that it wasn't about converting existing lanes into toll lanes, but adding new ones...either way, somehow, they've done it on I-95 in Miami. It really helps the traffic move along better there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay