Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 06:28 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,274,012 times

Advertisements

I have seen nothing on the news and we can't figure out a noise we heard last night.

We are 4-6 miles away from Dale Maybry.

Last night around 3am it sounded like transformers were blowing up about every 3-5 minutes for about an hour(( doubt it was transformers blowing up for over an hour ...but that was the sound). All the neighborhood dogs were going crazy(ours was huff'n). WE have no homes behind us so the sound seemed to travel across the open land and lakes. It sounded like it was coming from the Dale Mabry area.

I sat outside listening, but we couldnt figure it out.
It was a huge boom!

Just wondering if others heard it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 07:20 AM

11 posts, read 222,075 times
Default Seebe

SORRY...I HAD TO MANY BEANS FOR DINNER...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
I have seen nothing on the news and we can't figure out a noise we heard last night.

We are 4-6 miles away from Dale Maybry.

Last night around 3am it sounded like transformers were blowing up about every 3-5 minutes for about an hour(( doubt it was transformers blowing up for over an hour ...but that was the sound). All the neighborhood dogs were going crazy(ours was huff'n). WE have no homes behind us so the sound seemed to travel across the open land and lakes. It sounded like it was coming from the Dale Mabry area.

I sat outside listening, but we couldnt figure it out.
It was a huge boom!

Just wondering if others heard it.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:41 PM

ohhh well now it all makes sense Seebe.
It did smell funny outside last night =)

Old 08-06-2007, 04:30 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,759,075 times
Was there a fighter plane taking off/flying near the base? You'll get a sonic boom. My son heard one once out in Valrico ... I guess the F-18 pilot that caused it got into trouble.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:30 PM

to many booms. for an hour? ....maybe? ....I understood they are not allowed to go sonic unless over water(and out far in the water) But maybe

Old 10-01-2007, 07:59 AM

2 posts, read 7,453 times
Default Thank the gods - thought I was insane

(Well ok ... perhaps I am) But I was woken at 4:00am with the noise and went outside to investigate. It sounded like a shuttle launch, except that it continued until 4:25am. Perhaps it was a rocket engine test. But if it started at 3:00am, then that was too long for such a test. Please, if anyone has the answer, I'd love to know.

I've just finished searching the web, and all I could find that might be related (and I say this with tongue in cheek) is a report on March12 2005, where a similar avalanche like noise was well reported. Apparently a retired police officer witnessed a craft that may have been of extraterrestrial origin. So it could be that the aliens have landed and the invasion is about to commence. Bummer - I have a dentist appointment tomorrow, and you know how difficult it is to reschedule.

Last edited by nevilleg; 10-01-2007 at 08:17 AM..

Old 10-01-2007, 11:07 AM

192 posts, read 1,164,542 times
Dale Mabry is such a long thoroughfare that you could be talking about locations 20 miles apart and still be within 4 or 5 miles of it.......are you near the AFB base? Lutz? Carrollwood?

I live 2 blocks from Dale Mabry near Bay to Bay Blvd but didn't hear any disturbing noises last night. I did hear last week that there will be increased aircraft activity at the base due to some training in progress.

Personally I like the noise from the base because it reminds me of our men and women in uniform that are fighting for our freedom.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:51 AM

2 posts, read 7,453 times
Default Seems widespread

I'm located south of Hillsborough, .5 miles West of Memorial (where the bay comes to a point). Seemed that the noise was coming from the East. That's what made me think it was a rocket test.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:56 AM

192 posts, read 1,164,542 times
Considering that you live west of TIA and that the wind was out of the northeast that night my speculation would be that the noise was eminating from Tampa International. I have no idea why any aircraft noise would continue for 25 consecutive minutes though....

Are there still some airline repair facility hangars at TIA??? I guess there may have been an engine test or some thing.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:23 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,085,484 times
A Titan rocket was launched from the Space Center...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay