Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 08:18 AM

44 posts, read 228,112 times

Advertisements

We're building a house that is on a retention pond in a new community. While I haven't seen any alligators yet, I'm sure at some point they will be in their. Does anyone know of anyway to deter them from coming into our yard (other than a privacy fence)? We have a dog that we're a little worried about.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 08:37 AM

112 posts, read 491,436 times
Well if the gator wants to get in your yard, he can climb the fence. Not much you can do if he wants to get in. Usually you should have no problems. They have a natural fear of humans. So you should be ok.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:17 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,274,471 times
a fence will help, especially if it has a curve going out at the top(they make wire fences like that). The fence needs to go into the ground a good amount to prevent the gator from digging under it.

A requirment for us is a fence, because we have a dog and because I don't wanna being in my garden and have a gator visit me.

Small dogs look like delicious meals to gators!
Gators (wild ones) will stay a good distance from you and yours, but I would be worried about the dog.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:37 PM

22 posts, read 116,664 times
From what I've read it seems the problem is not only the gator. Dogs have a curiosity about that thing crawling around in their yard and tend to snoop around the gator. It is a deadly curiosity. The fence would help the dog not do that.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:20 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,274,471 times
daveb is right on!!!
Also, mine tries to retrieve turtles(he thinks they are frisbees) and some are protected and others would bite his face off, so the fence comes in handy.

He's such a funny little dog. He's only 18 pounds.
Once at my parents he came running w/ something in his mouth that was as bigger then his face(a turtle) ....droped it at my feet and sat down w/ this face that said "throw it for me"

Old 08-09-2007, 04:42 PM

8 posts, read 42,079 times
Default This is a big fear for me as well

We have a pond that currently has otters behind our house so I'm pretty sure it's gator-free, but we do not want to lose our beloved Vizsla to a gator. We are having a PVC fence put in by a fencing co., but we're only allowed 6 ft on the sides and 4 in the back.

How about motion detectors? If the backyard gets brightly lit, does that deter somewhat?

Old 08-12-2007, 09:11 AM

151 posts, read 599,261 times
Gators are looking for food. Your dog looks like food. Also if your neighbors think it's cute to feed him he will come up to get fed. You can only try and stop him/her with a very sturdy fence. Good luck.

Old 08-12-2007, 04:21 PM

799 posts, read 3,692,818 times
I hate alligators...I only like them on crocodile hunter..and even then not very much..

Old 08-17-2007, 03:20 AM

9 posts, read 45,395 times
I also live on a fair size pond in Fishhawk in Lithia FL with two small Dach's dogs who love to go scouting and to the water when they are let out. Yes, we had a 6 foot gator that migrated (as all gators do) to our pond last year. We called gator trapper John Wilson (Nuisance Alligator and Hog Trapper-813-478-9244) he promptly came out tried fishing him out to no avail, so he placed a rig w/bait (smelly liver) in the pond bank over the water. After a few days the gator took the bait and John came back out that day and rest is history.
Luckily we had put a blk aluminum fenced dog run approx 30 x 30 in right after we moved here, and of course we are glad we did.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:24 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,297,748 times
Default about that fence...

You should check with whomever is managing the HOA, we also back to a retention pond now, and we are only allowed to add a wrought iron fence....no pvc, or wood.

I would check what type of fence is allowed.....and what shrubs...in most cases, unless the builder is putting up a brick fence or pvc.....you're pretty much the slave of wrought iron.....

Alexandra
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay