Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 05:33 AM

734 posts, read 920,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
1) We visit DC often enough to know that if someone is moving here with the expectation to find all that diversity in entertainment, restaurants, vibrance, they will be highly disappointed. We used to live in Miami and are quite used to "diversity" in entertainment, dining etc, just like DC, and we find Tampa's "diversity" non existent when comparing it with the other two cities. IF someone is looking to scale down by a long shot, then Tampa fits the bill.

2. The thread was bumped up yesterday, look above.
1) Not everyone moves here from DC to find the same level of vibrancy. You aren't telling us anything we don't know. Many folks leave DC to escape the insanity of soul crushing traffic, insane COL, and other factors such as winter.

2) Check the date of the post to which YOU replied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 05:51 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AES328 View Post
1) Not everyone moves here from DC to find the same level of vibrancy. You aren't telling us anything we don't know. Many folks leave DC to escape the insanity of soul crushing traffic, insane COL, and other factors such as winter.

2) Check the date of the post to which YOU replied.
OK!

"Traffic" should be expected and not wondered at. What are the other options? Well DC has subways and on-time buses too, so, people there don't really have to drive. They could easily alleviate some of that traffic by using PT. IMO of course. We have no PT here, so we have no way of alleviating traffic. AND in a car driven culture, complaining about traffic is just weird at best...

I replied to the OP; I am sure many lurk these forums, and I am sure many Arlington Yuppies looking to relocate think in the same lines.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:25 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,165,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
No way. There are other areas of Florida that are way more hip and walkable than Downtown St. Pete. Sounds like you just haven't searched hard enough.
Such as ?

?

Old 02-08-2015, 08:31 AM

734 posts, read 920,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
OK!

"Traffic" should be expected and not wondered at. What are the other options? Well DC has subways and on-time buses too, so, people there don't really have to drive. They could easily alleviate some of that traffic by using PT. IMO of course. We have no PT here, so we have no way of alleviating traffic. AND in a car driven culture, complaining about traffic is just weird at best...

I replied to the OP; I am sure many lurk these forums, and I am sure many Arlington Yuppies looking to relocate think in the same lines.
You really hate it here, as evidenced by your endless posts about how much Tampa sucks.

Why don't you leave?

Old 02-08-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
You really hate it here, as evidenced by your endless posts about how much Tampa sucks.

Why don't you leave?
I don't hate it here at all; I am being objective. Unlike other people, I traveled around the country and saw where some of the people moving here are coming from. and what they left behind, and by direct comparison in some cases it is quite a bit.

Also, my preferences for entertainment cannot be compared with the neighbors as we don't all draw from the same family or backgrounds, and for sure we don't share the same interest for food and traffic.

My opinion is simply that Tampa is severely underdeveloped entertainment wise; I know BucFan has lists of things to do, but they all become monotone, and none of them are located conveniently either. There is a LOT, and I mean a LOT of room for improvement in that department, tons.

The other thing is that if I could move back to Miami I would in a heart beat...believe me...no need to convince me there...

The point is that those looking to move here(or elsewhere for that matter) need to be aware of both. If you're trying to convince me that every single person moving here is looking for a bedroom and no snow to mow, then I beg to differ. So, we should leave it at "agree to disagree". More people need to take off the rose glasses and be more objective.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
HALF of Tampa does suck! Been to east Tampa lately? It SUCKS big time there....Apparently there is no mayor dealing with that side of town!

Old 02-08-2015, 10:13 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,410,251 times
Quote:
No way. There are other areas of Florida that are way more hip and walkable than Downtown St. Pete. Sounds like you just haven't searched hard enough.
Still waiting for some examples?

Old 02-08-2015, 10:27 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,410,251 times
Quote:
As far as downtowns go: Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Beach. Miami also has some really vibrant areas. People always go OMG about Downtown St. Pete, and while I like it, I was never hugely impressed with it.
I went to downtown Orlando, WPB, Miami, Ft. L. IMO they did not have near the interesting vibe, historical architecture, overall ambiance that St. Pete's has. Ft. Lauderdale felt sterile and fake (couldn't wait to get out of there!). I wouldn't call Miami's walkable areas hip/hipster culture, it's more "bling bling" and tinsel. St. Pete felt a little more like an older city in terms of character. The walkable core of St. Pete is still small, but it felt closer to say a Portland, Seattle, SF, Brooklyn, Austin, etc... than any other FL city. Of course not even close to the scale of the hip & walkable parts of those cities...but a little closer in look and feel to those types of places then anywhere else in FL. Where Miami, Ft. L, etc... feel nothing like those places. Orlando I did like Winter Park a lot, but I would not call it "hip". Downtown Orlando did not have the same feel as St. Pete IMO. I think if St. Pete could go further with this progress and more young "creative class" types move downtown and knowledge based companies locate there, it has the potential to be a super cool town in a tropical setting.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:53 AM

4 posts, read 6,304 times
More and more to do in Downtown Tampa. On the water - eBoat rentals, paddleboarding, waterbiking. On land - more restaurants and bars keep popping up. Sports fans - Amalie Arena - Tampa Bay Lightning and Storm. Music - at least a dozen restaurants/bars offer DJ and live music, many concerts in Curtis Hixon Park. Culture - 10 museums, Straz Center (Broadway shows, concerts, and everything in between), historic Tampa Theatre, The Riverwalk, Coast Bike Rentals.......

Old 02-08-2015, 10:54 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
I went to downtown Orlando, WPB, Miami, Ft. L. IMO they did not have near the interesting vibe, historical architecture, overall ambiance that St. Pete's has. Ft. Lauderdale felt sterile and fake (couldn't wait to get out of there!). I wouldn't call Miami's walkable areas hip/hipster culture, it's more "bling bling" and tinsel. St. Pete felt a little more like an older city in terms of character. The walkable core of St. Pete is still small, but it felt closer to say a Portland, Seattle, SF, Brooklyn, Austin, etc... than any other FL city. Of course not even close to the scale of the hip & walkable parts of those cities...but a little closer in look and feel to those types of places then anywhere else in FL. Where Miami, Ft. L, etc... feel nothing like those places. Orlando I did like Winter Park a lot, but I would not call it "hip". Downtown Orlando did not have the same feel as St. Pete IMO. I think if St. Pete could go further with this progress and more young "creative class" types move downtown and knowledge based companies locate there, it has the potential to be a super cool town in a tropical setting.
I'm sorry, I just don't see that. To each their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay