Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 06:36 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,447,728 times

Advertisements

I'm sure someone already said this, but Florida is a terrible place for pro sports teams. Hardly anyone is actually from there, and every game you go to half - if not more - of the fans are wearing the visiting teams colors. Throw in a dump like the Trop as your stadium, and it's a recipie for failure. It's amazing the Rays have survived there as long as they have, and a total shame they haven't been supported, because they've had some really good teams the past few years.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:40 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Whatever. Your comment doesn't address the thought that the Rays aren't drawing because they're below .500. Winner of two of the last three AL East divisions. Win/Loss record doesn't have an affect on attendance. The economy along w/ location of the stadium, to a lessor degree, does.
I think win/loss record plays into it more than you think ... here's the attendance numbers from the mid 2000s when the economy was better.

Tampa Bay Rays Attendance Records by Baseball Almanac

From 2003-2007 attendance was dismal at best and picked up considerably in 2008-2009.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:59 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
I'm sure someone already said this, but Florida is a terrible place for pro sports teams. Hardly anyone is actually from there, and every game you go to half - if not more - of the fans are wearing the visiting teams colors. Throw in a dump like the Trop as your stadium, and it's a recipie for failure. It's amazing the Rays have survived there as long as they have, and a total shame they haven't been supported, because they've had some really good teams the past few years.
The trop is lacking in some areas but it's hardly a dump. You want to see a DUMP, go to Fenway or Wrigley. DUMPS with rats, cramped, uncomfortable seats, etc. Oh, they call that "character" in cities which have winning teams and good attendance, lol...

Biggest dump I have ever been to is Cleveland's old stadium, what a ****hole. A new stadium has done wonders for that team, and Cincinatti, I could go on...

Old 08-02-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
The trop is lacking in some areas but it's hardly a dump. You want to see a DUMP, go to Fenway or Wrigley. DUMPS with rats, cramped, uncomfortable seats, etc. Oh, they call that "character" in cities which have winning teams and good attendance, lol...

Biggest dump I have ever been to is Cleveland's old stadium, what a ****hole. A new stadium has done wonders for that team, and Cincinatti, I could go on...
I'd rather sit in a DUMP as you call Fenway and see a winning team any day than sit in the TROP and watch a team that continues to go nowhere.
I can guarantee I've been to Fenway more times than you and I've never seen a rat. What I have seen are dedicated and fervent baseball fans, very few of which you'll see in St. Petersburg unless they're from the rival teams.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:42 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,447,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post

Difference: Fenway and Wrigley are BASEBALL PARKS. The Trop is a CONCRETE TOMB.......so poorly fitted for the game that the roof interferes with play. And that shameless RUG you call a field...are ya kiddin me? It looks like it should be in someone's living room with a couch on top of it. They should be stacking crates in that place, not playing ball there. Worst atmosphere in all of baseball.

You just touted Tropicana Field over two of the most revered shrines in all of sport. FAN LICENSE: REVOKED!

Old 08-03-2011, 08:00 AM

5 posts, read 11,099 times
Default tampa stadium

tampa needs new stadium.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:36 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Visited Fenway last season - what a dump. And the price I had to pay for an outfield ticket was x4 what I pay at the Trop.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:38 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
Difference: Fenway and Wrigley are BASEBALL PARKS. The Trop is a CONCRETE TOMB.......so poorly fitted for the game that the roof interferes with play. And that shameless RUG you call a field...are ya kiddin me? It looks like it should be in someone's living room with a couch on top of it. They should be stacking crates in that place, not playing ball there. Worst atmosphere in all of baseball.

You just touted Tropicana Field over two of the most revered shrines in all of sport. FAN LICENSE: REVOKED!
The roof interferes maybe once or twice a season. It also allows the Rays never to have a rain out.

Meanwhile, if you want to look at Fenway- the leftfield wall isn't up to MLB specs, and in Wrigley, the ivey messes up plays all the time.

Concrete tomb - stupid comparison.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Visited Fenway last season - what a dump. And the price I had to pay for an outfield ticket was x4 what I pay at the Trop.
Must not bother Sox fans ... the place is full for every home game.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:53 PM

485 posts, read 1,012,065 times
I think instead of hurling insults, we should consider two final questions:

1. Does the Trop draw in the attendance numbers needed in order to keep the team happy and here?

2. If not, will a new stadium do that?

I would answer no and no to those questions.

Thus the team should move. Perhaps they will move to a city with a dump of a stadium (similar to what some people call the Trop), and sell out every game. It all goes back to: In some cities, the game/team is more important than the stadium. In other cities, the stadium/experience is more important.

In Tampa Bay's case, I don't think Tampa Bay people even know what they want, or whether they want it. So they don't deserve to have a MLB team. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay