Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 07:50 PM

485 posts, read 1,012,065 times

Advertisements

I am talking about a Ritz Carlton, a Four Seasons, a Mandarin Oriental, a Relais & Châteaux property, etc. I can only imagine that when celebs and billionaires come to town, they must be very perplexed by the lack of 4-5 star accommodations here. Where did these people stay when the Super Bowl was here?

By the way, Hiltons, Hyatts, InterContinentals, these are all "crappy" hotels by comparison to a 4 or 5 star hotel.

Before we aim to build a new St. Pete Pier or a Rays stadium in Downtown Tampa or any other big project, Tampa Bay REALLY needs to get a 4 or 5 star hotel built here.

In fact, when the GOP convention comes to town, I wonder where the heavyweights will stay. At the Doubletree????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 01:31 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
I guess those that foot the bill for building 4-5 star hotels would be looking to make money on their investments, How many stars you or i think Tampa rates is irrelevant because the people who build 4-5 star hotels dont see Tampa as a 4-5 star business proposition.
My experience with a few 5 star hotels has been in cities where people live in them and impart a lively vibrancy to the atmosphere of the city,Tampa's problem is after office hours its a ghost town with very little to do in the downtown core.
Looking at it from a business perspective would you build a $500+ a night hotel in downtown Tampa?

Old 09-20-2011, 02:55 AM

792 posts, read 2,292,206 times
I don't live in Tampa, so I don't know if they do or do not have the kind of hotel your referring too.

In Saint Petersburg you have the Don Cesar and Tradewinds which are supposed to be right up there with the best.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:27 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
As a former resident of St Pete its always irritated me that Tampa seems to get all the glory and attention while St Petersburg is rarely mentioned, when in reality St Pete has all the beaches bars and outdoor activities while Tampa has very little to offer a beach goers or those who like to fish.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:53 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Sarasota has the Ritz Carlton downtown. It's realllly nice!

Yeah, St. Pete has Don Cesar and also the Vinoy - isn't the Vinoy supposed to be top-notch? I think it's gorgeous. Gotta love St. Pete - it has not one but TWO "pink palaces!"

Old 09-20-2011, 07:03 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,283,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planedition View Post
I am talking about a Ritz Carlton, a Four Seasons, a Mandarin Oriental, a Relais & Châteaux property, etc. I can only imagine that when celebs and billionaires come to town, they must be very perplexed by the lack of 4-5 star accommodations here. Where did these people stay when the Super Bowl was here?

By the way, Hiltons, Hyatts, InterContinentals, these are all "crappy" hotels by comparison to a 4 or 5 star hotel.

Before we aim to build a new St. Pete Pier or a Rays stadium in Downtown Tampa or any other big project, Tampa Bay REALLY needs to get a 4 or 5 star hotel built here.
A Four Seasons was planned for downtown Tampa/Channelside at the peak of the bubble, but the idea withered along with the rest of the real estate market.

There just isn't the demand. Even the "crappier" hotels have a hard time filling the rooms when there is not a big event going on. I've scored some of the better downtown hotels (Hiltons, Hyatts, etc) for $40-50 a night on Priceline for out-of-town guests. If you can't fill a Hyatt at roadside motel prices, you definitely won't fill a Four Seasons.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:08 AM

428 posts, read 1,472,631 times
The Vinoy and Don CeSar are both 4-star hotels.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:23 AM

353 posts, read 802,538 times
Neither the Vinoy (a Marriott) nor the D. Cesar (a Loews) are comparable to a Ritz Carlton or a Mandarin Oriental. Not even close. They are basically Hilton-quality hotels. The last time I had a client come to town he asked me where the Ritz was (these people do not stay at Hiltons). I had to say, "Orlando."

By the way it is a myth that you have to pay 500 dollars a night to have 5 star quality. Many Ritz Carlton rooms can be had for $200. But the level of service FEELS like $500.

It's unfortunate that a metro area the size of Tampa Bay lacks these iconic luxury brands.

As an aside, I have often found that hotels in Florida in general are lacking in quality and service and are extremely worn and sometimes dirty. I have attributed this to the onslaught of tourists. But with so many tourists, you would think that there would be a 5 star hotel in this area.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:26 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
When city leaders start treating Tampa like a big city, we might start getting big city perks. In the meantime, we have a downtown that's used for nothing but business, urban sprawl planning, next to no public transit, and no reason for anyone to want to come to Tampa.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:44 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltzman143 View Post
Neither the Vinoy (a Marriott) nor the D. Cesar (a Loews) are comparable to a Ritz Carlton or a Mandarin Oriental. Not even close. They are basically Hilton-quality hotels. The last time I had a client come to town he asked me where the Ritz was (these people do not stay at Hiltons). I had to say, "Orlando."

By the way it is a myth that you have to pay 500 dollars a night to have 5 star quality. Many Ritz Carlton rooms can be had for $200. But the level of service FEELS like $500.

It's unfortunate that a metro area the size of Tampa Bay lacks these iconic luxury brands.

As an aside, I have often found that hotels in Florida in general are lacking in quality and service and are extremely worn and sometimes dirty. I have attributed this to the onslaught of tourists. But with so many tourists, you would think that there would be a 5 star hotel in this area.
Then why does a little city like Sarasota have a Ritz Carlton? Seems strange, since Tampa/St. Pete is such a large metro, and Sarasota is just a teeny fraction of that population.

Here is their website - it is really nice. They have a great restaurant there, the Vernona, never eaten there (too pricey for me) but I hear it's wonderful.

Sarasota Luxury Hotel & Resort: The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota Hotel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay