Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 10:37 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times

Advertisements

Not necessarily, who's today it can't be done? it takes roughly 45 minutes from Lakeland to Tampa at 65/70 miles per hour. Light rail CAN go that fast. It should be a designated line that doesn't make stops in the middle anywhere.

Actually people in the Light Rail would probably fly by the traffic on I-4 LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
^ light rail is also for short distances, not something like Lakeland-Tampa or Pasco-Tampa...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 10:42 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Light Rail is the ONLY form of public transit that would make sense there (or in any sprawled area), because
1. it is narrow enough to fit in the middle lanes/grass area of current roads
2. it is faster than a regular bus
3. it's ELECTRIC, so it won't be polluting the air
4. It has, or can have up to 4 cars, which mean it can transport more people

Hillsborough Ave, Dale Mabry, US-19 are just a few that come to mind, with BBD, Busch to follow.

Mind you, this will have to accommodate pedestrian traffic, which means a few of those suspended pedestrian bridges would have to be build in areas with heavy traffic that would make pedestrian traffic too dangerous. Also, to consider are the connections, should be by a smaller shuttle? or bus...?

I think this is KEY here. Getting as many people transported at one time as possible rather than 50 or so people on the bus. 200 + for a lite rail line would work.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:44 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,902 times
Quote:
^ light rail is also for short distances, not something like Lakeland-Tampa or Pasco-Tampa...

True, but Orlando had plans to build a light rail from downtown to Altamonte. Altamonte is a suburb in Seminole county, so it could work. The idea was fantastic but got shot down by voters (Money Reasons) and they are regretting it now.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:48 AM

I am telling you, the "politicians" don't want funds tied in a project that may or may not produce revenue. Then, if it doesn't produce as much as they want, they'll kill routes, then increase prices etc making it useless just like the bus transit is now! takes 2+ hours from Carrollwood to Clearwater! ridiculous!

This should be private, really, being private the company running it would want to provide the best routes, fares etc to be profitable, and also afford the maintenance. Forget the Gov, these ppl are only interested in bumping up their bonuses and their Monday Golf!

Being private also means that more than one company can be part of it, so it would be more forces coming together to bring the best transit possible to such a sprawled area.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:06 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
HOV lanes is a good start. Costs much less than Rail Transit and encourages car pooling. Not to mention bus transportation will increase in popularity because the commuter lines will ride in the HOV lane significantly reducing commute time.

When living in Seattle I lived about 20 miles north from my job in Downtown Seattle. I could either drive which would have taken me about 90 minutes in terrible rush hour on I-5 and pay $26/day to park in my building or pay $15/day and walk a few blocks. The trip home would be about an hour.

OR

I could jump on a bus that was about 1/4 mile walk from my home. Do one transfer at the Park & Ride station and be at my office in 45 - 50 minutes (because it used HOV lane). The bus was clean, all seats sat forward and the reclined. It was a commuter line so everyone on the bus was going to work, no homeless people. I was able to listen to my headphone and take a snooze or read instead of having to drive. Once dropped off I wold have to walk 2 blocks to my office. At the end of the day the bus stop was right across the street from my office. Commuting home took 35 minutes. All this for $3 per day.... cheaper than the gas I would have paid.

I would love to be able to take the bus to my office here in Tampa. If it was close to the same commute time, I would gladly do so. I wouldn't need my commuter car, I wouldn't have to pay for the insurance on it, I wouldn't have to buy gas or repair it. Unfortunately, according to HART I would have to do the following.

Drive 3.3 Miles to Park & Ride (8 minutes)
Ride Bus for 6 stops (55 Minutes)
Wait at Transfer Station (27 Minutes)
Ride Bus for 1 stop (21 minutes)
Walk 0.2 Mile to office (4 minutes)

115 Minutes.... and I still need a car to get to the park & ride... or I could of course bike. And this is one way in the morning that typically takes me 40 minutes to drive it.

Start with HOV lanes and buses that utilize them. Way cheaper and better than light rail. Light rail or commuter rail must have an efficient bus system in place for it to be effective. This is a start.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:06 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Not necessarily, who's today it can't be done? it takes roughly 45 minutes from Lakeland to Tampa at 65/70 miles per hour. Light rail CAN go that fast. It should be a designated line that doesn't make stops in the middle anywhere.

Actually people in the Light Rail would probably fly by the traffic on I-4 LOL
There is no long distance light rail in America... Downtown Lakeland is like 35 miles from downtown, that's too far.

Let me let you in on a little secret:

There is an existing HEAVY rail line ALREADY IN PLACE, between Orlando and Tampa. It is very lightly used, already has passenger service in place (Amtrak), is signaled and good for 70mph in most spots. It could be used for commuter service with little or no upgrades. Just takes the equipment.

It's also part of the same line that CSX just sold to the state for "sunrail" in the Orlando area (this is part that CSX still owns).

It would be perfect for a couple runs each day from Lakeland to Tampa.

As far as commuter rail to Pasco in the NPR area, sorry, there are no lines out that way, there WAS up to the mid 80's, but it's long gone and IS NOT COMING BACK. It ran from near Dade City, through San Antonio, near Land O Lakes where it crosses the still existing CSX line from Brooksville to Tampa (the Ehren Cutof is part of the old railroad ROW), down to Odessa, through what is now Trinity, Seven Springs, Tarpon Springs (with a spur North to Elfers) and then due South to Clearwater and St. Pete.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:13 AM

That's great, they should use it, Amtrak is a disgrace as it is, someone needs to buy that line and put it to good use.

Quote:
There is an existing HEAVY rail line ALREADY IN PLACE, between Orlando and Tampa. It is very lightly used, already has passenger service in place (Amtrak), is signaled and good for 70mph in most spots. It could be used for commuter service with little or no upgrades. Just takes the equipment.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:17 AM

Carpooling only works in states where the "community" is active and people know each other...in FL this would not work with people putting up fences as high as they can and hide from others.

Why HOVs? why not STOP this addiction to gas? if we spent $20 million out of Ryan's Seacrest $45 million dollars to host Idol, we would cover Dale Mabry both ways with Light Rail! without polluting. Buses are NOISY aside from smelling bad from the diesel they use!

Light Rail is also quiet. A lot more quiet than any buses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
HOV lanes is a good start. Costs much less than Rail Transit and encourages car pooling. Not to mention bus transportation will increase in popularity because the commuter lines will ride in the HOV lane significantly reducing commute time.

Start with HOV lanes and buses that utilize them. Way cheaper and better than light rail. Light rail or commuter rail must have an efficient bus system in place for it to be effective. This is a start.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:25 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
Dont put in HOV lanes, look at what they did to the HOV lanes in Atlanta...

Old 12-02-2011, 11:35 AM

& DC....

The Atlanta ones are AWFUL!!!! we took a longer route just to avoid them last time we went to west NC!

Quote:
Dont put in HOV lanes, look at what they did to the HOV lanes in Atlanta...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay