Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 11:02 AM

11 posts, read 50,754 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are from Massachusetts and are both pharmacists. We have 2 children, 4 and 2 years of age. We are considering a move to the Tampa area and are very unsure of many areas. We are currently looking at Spring Hill, FL in a new development being built called Deerfield Lakes.

Our first priority is school system and other concerns are being in a very mosquito infested swampy area, proximity to shopping and things to do, and general overall amenities to the area.

We were wondering if anyone had any thoughts or information about the area or if there are any suggestions in better location/school system/quility home builders???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2007, 10:09 PM

236 posts, read 900,690 times
I live in Spring HIll only about a mile or so from the development you are looking at. As far as the bugs, its really no worse than any other area around here, and thats not really all that bad. As far as the schools, public schools here are not all that great. Only my opinion but I dot think much of them. My children are older now and we only came here when they were in middle school and higher. I really dont know about the elementary schools. As far as housing, stay away from Palmwood BUilders even for being a upscale builder I have had nothing but problems weith my house. Beck and Pulte are supposed to be good.
Spring Hill is basically a retirement town, although that is starting to change. there is a YMCA for the kids. For local shopping there is plenty of strip malls to get your shopping and errands done. But the closest mall is in New Port richey, and does not have much to offer, for mall shopping you are better off in Tampa. Again, only my opinion but I feel medical care is substandard here and in this general area.
Spring Hill is a nice town, safe, quiet and clean, just trying to give you a little insight. Hope it helped.

Old 01-14-2007, 03:06 PM

36 posts, read 138,023 times
Stay far away from Windjammer Homes. They have the worse customer service that I have seen any where. Their houses take twice as long as they say they will to be built.

It's an awful experience. Trust me.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:57 AM

27 posts, read 210,992 times
proximity to shopping and things to do, and general overall amenities to the area Then Spring Hill probably isn't the area for you.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:17 AM

159 posts, read 551,154 times
My Dad has been in Spring Hill for over 20 years and it really is more retirement then anything else.

Lets put it this way, when I first went there and saw a small store by Publix on 19 there was a sign up DENTURES FIXED WHILE YOU WAIT.

This way 20 years ago also but gives you a good idea how things are there.

Look for the Cape Coral thread ( under Florida) and do some reading. S/W florida has been a hot commodity for the last few years and has great oppertunities for young familes. I may be biased but given the growth down here, new schools and a good school system at that, I would do some research and make a visit for a week or so.

That is the only way you will really find out the truth about any where you look.

Best of luck.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:44 AM

11 posts, read 50,754 times
Thank you very much. You have helped me eliminate one location. I am very interested in hearing about some family communities that do fit my criteria. Good schools, close to shopping and restaurants, low crime rates just to name a few. Lutz? Land O' Lakes? Odessa? Thank you for any input you may have.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:29 AM

27 posts, read 210,992 times
Westchase in Tampa or Fishhawk Ranch in the Riverview area might be more what you want. Both are large developments with their own schools. You have development fees, but if that's what you want those are two of the biggest.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:37 PM

137 posts, read 545,734 times
I live in Spring Hill and I moved here 1 year ago from Long Island NY.....Where I live it is nothing but families my husband and I are in our very early 30's. It's a rapidly growing area and we are getting a bunch of new stores like OLD Navy, Michaels, Linens and Things, Super Target, JCPenney, Panera Bread, Marshalls....and more..... plus it's affordable.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:50 PM

436 posts, read 1,357,297 times
I am having a house built in Odessa. Since I haven't moved yet, I really don't have much to tell except that when I questioned it on this forum, few had anything to say. I am taking that as no news is good news! When I visited the area I did like what I saw. It was very close to highway and to shopping and I believe they are building all in that area of route 54. Hopefully I have made the right choice.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:35 AM

7 posts, read 41,915 times
Hello,,
I am a new resident of Spring Hill, Florida.
Does anyone know if there is a New York or Long Island club here? I am homesick and would love to hear the same accent as mine somewhere!
Thanks, Dorothy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay