Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 01:04 PM

51 posts, read 167,403 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be moving into my place in a couple weeks (@ 4th Ave S and 4th St. S).

First question: What is the best place to go for furniture, would it be American Signature? I'm only 23 so I don't care about high end stuff, but I do want decent quality.

Second question: As crime is a common topic on this board, I wanted to ask what areas (streets) I should avoid completely. I've visited St. Pete once and just stayed around the downtown area and visited St. Pete beach. I have read many posts on here regarding south St. Pete and whatnot. Anyways, I know I'll have a lot of time to explore and don't want to put myself in a bad spot being the inexperienced noob. Are there places you don't even drive through? Or is it just certain areas you should be careful walking through. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 04:03 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,139,059 times
You're right on the fringes of St. Creaturesburg as it is, I wouldn't explore to further South or West right on out to 34th St and beyond a ways. Places like Jordan Park, 22nd Ave. South, I wouldn't no way in he11 walk and they're definitely no place to breakdown or stop for a chat in the car.
It was even bad up on 9th Ave and 9th St. N when I lived there back in 98. although I think they've cleaned it up a bit.

I'd hit C-List or check out some yard sales first on the furniture thing, you'd be suprised the nice stuff you can find.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:21 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
You are not going to be able to get decent quality furniture without paying through the nose. It's one of those simple facts. If you buy stuff from a place like Kanes or Rooms to Go or Levitz, it's going to fall apart within a few years.

As far as crime, you are pretty much right near the northern boundary of the "red zone"... keep heading down 4th st south and you will see what I mean...

St Petersburg Crimes - Police Department Calls For Service in Saint Pete, FL

Old 12-10-2011, 05:42 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times
For the furniture you could go to Ikea. It's not the best quality, but most of their stuff is reasonably priced. At your age I wouldn't spend a lot on furniture. I agree with the above posters about the crime in your area.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:30 PM

Thanks. I recall BBI has made some good posts in the past regarding all of this downtown crime debate. He seemed to agree that The Sage (where I'm renting) is on the border of the "safer" liveable area downtown. I guess there is not much to do immediately south of 4 Ave S anyway, so I will just stick to the main downtown until I get a hang of the area.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:44 PM

161 posts, read 273,778 times
Have you considered Ashley Furniture... seems like a good match of quality and price.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:46 PM

5 posts, read 8,529 times
greetings and welcome to St Pete! you are fine where you are at the Sage. I work at USFSP to the south of the Sage. I walk around there all the time, as do many of USFSPs 5K students staff and faculty. lots of kids on foot, skateboard, bike, scooters, etc. lots of faculty live in the Beacon, also south of the Sage. The pinellas trail connects with 3rd st south, so schools or flocks of bicyclists. The USFSP police station is on 3rd ST south btw 6th and 5th Ave South. There are blue emergency call phones along 3rd St South, as far down as the new USFSP Harbor Hall, which is the old Dali Museum building, on 3rd, South of 10th Ave South. Lots of classes taught at night, so lots of people out and about. Harbor hall is the new College of Visual & Verbal Arts, I.e. Graphic arts, design, literature, etc, so very busy complex with two security kiosks in the adjacent parking lots. The Poynter Institute, Bayfront, All childrens, USFSP, all have private security guards and maintenance folks in little golf carts riding around the streets and sidewalks. I think you have been spooked by some of the posts. I have lived in downtown core of St Pete for 20 years, worked on the South side since 2005, so I have real lived experience. You are going to love it here.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:54 PM

7 posts, read 16,679 times
RE: furniture...Try Herman Home in downtown St. Pete. You can walk to it from your new place. Its located approximately at the corner of 2nd Ave S and 7th Street. It seems a little pricey at first, but there are good values to be had. Also, if your into used or vintage furniture, there are a few stores along central ave between downtown and The Grand Central District.

RE: bad areas....Your in a nice area (I live on 4th ave S also). As long as you remain aware of your surroundings, you dont' have much to worry about in the downtown area. The areas you should avoid are areas that you would probably never find yourself anyway and are limited to a relatively small geographic area south of the hospital area (Jordan Park, Bartlett Park, Child's Park, 22nd ave S)

Old 12-10-2011, 08:02 PM

NativeNoir and Fitcofunk, thanks for the info! Appreciate it!

Old 12-10-2011, 08:03 PM

5 posts, read 8,529 times
Re furniture there is Doma on 22nd ave north, good chance to visit Mazzaros when you go, there are lots of funky used furniture places up Central Ave, also on MLK, there is Patty's Andreas etc. Also the hospice store on 49th north near 38th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay