Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 07:06 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,656,250 times

Advertisements

When my husband was laid off 3 years ago, he too had severance pay for 4 months. At that time, you could not collect umemployment until that ended. You can then start collecting unemployment. I think employment is getting easier, so you should be able to find work pretty soon. Perhaps you won't even need unemployment.

Getting Kid Care can take a while (6 months or longer). Your Cobra should last 18 months (I think). You should be able to find work by then. If you are getting Cobra, DO NOT MISS ANY PAYMENTS. Not even one day late. They will drop you like a hot potato.

I agree with taking contract positions. As an office temp (I know it's a different field), I would get job offers all the time. It is a good way to try someone out first. It may truly be a temp position, but when they see your work, they may keep you in mind for other positions that come up.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 06:04 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,125,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
Are you looking only at Business Analyst jobs?
Looking at Business Analyst and Project Management jobs. Anything that pays similar and is within my field will be considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaegel View Post
When my husband was laid off 3 years ago, he too had severance pay for 4 months. At that time, you could not collect umemployment until that ended. You can then start collecting unemployment. I think employment is getting easier, so you should be able to find work pretty soon. Perhaps you won't even need unemployment.

Getting Kid Care can take a while (6 months or longer). Your Cobra should last 18 months (I think). You should be able to find work by then. If you are getting Cobra, DO NOT MISS ANY PAYMENTS. Not even one day late. They will drop you like a hot potato.

I agree with taking contract positions. As an office temp (I know it's a different field), I would get job offers all the time. It is a good way to try someone out first. It may truly be a temp position, but when they see your work, they may keep you in mind for other positions that come up.

Good luck!
Wow - they said 4 - 6 weeks for KidCare. We'll see.

Sent back my Agreement of Termination/Severance packet to the company on Tuesday. I guess I'll be getting my COBRA info from them relatively soon. I'll be sure not to miss any payments. Was glad to see I am getting 4 months of severance.

Got some good leads on a few positions. We'll see if they pan out. I'm going nuts not working and and beginning to consider to look for some sort of part time gig that would be something different from what I have been doing.

The search continues.

Thanks!

Old 04-19-2012, 03:41 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,895,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Possibly a contractor position can be a bridge to a permanent position elsewhere once your gig is up - get your foot in the door w/ one organization while you continue to search for opportunities elsewhere (biding time).

Good luck with the search.
Quoting Bucfan. I totally agree with him.
Keep at it EVERYDAY. And my suggestion is look for all the TB area, which I have a feeling you are doing. Not just Tampa.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:27 AM

It's been about a week, so I think it is time for an update. I have learned that there are a ton of recruiters in teh Tampa Bay area. I have had several calls from them and supposedly they have submitted my resume as well. Be careful if you use recruiters though. If you are submitted to a position by more than one recruiter or apply for the same position a recruiter applied you for, you will automatically have your application tossed by that employer. Good to know!

Still have not landed a job as of yet. In fact I have had only 2 interviews since starting this process. A bit disheartening, but hoping more activity will pick up soon. There are a lot of positions available with my skill set, but also seems competition is pretty intense as well.

Time to quit looking for the week, get the swim trunks on, grab some beer and float around in the pool on this beautiful day. Monday will be here before I know it and I'll be back to applying for suitable positions.

Have a great weekend!

Old 04-28-2012, 07:57 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,388,153 times
From what I've gathered by talking to several IT recruiters at one point or another down here, I can say with relative certainty that they're useless.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:12 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,603,566 times
My husband used to work in contract programming and he says that head-hunting is legalized prostitution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
From what I've gathered by talking to several IT recruiters at one point or another down here, I can say with relative certainty that they're useless.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:33 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,198,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
My husband used to work in contract programming and he says that head-hunting is legalized prostitution.
That is the honest truth ... they'll get you the interview and once you get the job, you get a coffee cup and they get 30% on top of your hourly rate. Build your own network and you won't have to deal with them.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:58 AM

Landed myself a job through a recruiter, I start Wednesday. It is a contract position, but with a great company and I was told that the company is on a hiring freeze which is why they are doing contractors. I am replacing a guy who had been there four years (had to leave because his Visa expired). The pay is great (90% raise over my last position). Pretty excited!

Old 05-27-2012, 05:07 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,895,539 times
Great News!! Congrats!!!

Last edited by Sunscape; 05-27-2012 at 05:50 AM..

Old 05-27-2012, 05:41 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
congrats - tough times never last, tough people do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay