Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 02:35 PM

558 posts, read 2,248,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynorie View Post
I just have to remark that, having read the past 8 or 10 posts in this thread, these comments seem to relate more about the character of the people making the comments, than the places they are commenting about (in this instance, Tampa).

Forgive me if I sound "preachy" or parental but through my long existence I've learned, as have most others with a long trail of footprints on this earth, that life is mostly what you make of it. If you bring an entitlement mentality to your day, which is more and more prevalent among our youth, you most likely will be disappointed here in Tampa, or any place else. Conversely, if you realize that each of us is simply a walking tube of flesh that takes in nutrition at the top and excretes it at the bottom and that life comes with no warrantees, implied or expressed, you probably will be happy with life in the thriving metropolis called Tampa.
AMEN!!! There certainly is LESS to bash about Tampa than several other places I've lived.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:40 PM

10 posts, read 32,152 times
Default skiman

You do realize Tampa is at to ass end of the US. 600 miles to the mountains, traffic from hell, rude people, crime, dead end downtown district, culturally destitute, bank robbery capital, most uneducated residents, government is a joke. You would be better off in Charlotte or Asheville. Tampa sucks! Don't do it, you'll regret it . TRUST ME!!!! I'm heading for Asheville. Oh yeah, I hope you're packin and are street smart. Don't forget road rade.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:51 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
You do realize Tampa is culturally destitute, better off in Charlotte
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-30-2007, 06:20 PM

409 posts, read 1,505,453 times
LOL....That is quite funny. Tampa is not nearly as bad as that dude makes it out to be. As a matter of fact, it is a really nice area. My only complaint is is that I cannot quite figure out what the culture is here. Maybe it is the fact that nobody is from here so there is a little mix of everyone. Not sure.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:56 PM

17 posts, read 109,629 times
I grew up in Tampa and then moved to the DC area for about 15 years. I have been back here for about 2 years now and I am sad to see how the city and all of its events slip into alcohol fests...... Gasparilla used to be fun and something to take the kids to.... now they have to have a separate parade for kids. Now we have Guavaween and various things like the Italian Festival and everything is about drinking.... drinking as much as you can quickly. Try going to any of the "nightspots" i.e Hyde Park cafe, Whiskey Park, any Ybor bar and the amount of sleaziness is unbelievable. Loud music and people slopping down shots to try to get as drunk as possible.

There are still some good things here, but don't count on meeting anyone that isn't a total player..... men and women..... its all about money and physical appearance (i.e. boob jobs). So make sure you import your significant other !!!!!

Old 10-31-2007, 03:34 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,981 times
its pretty funny, tampa is prolly one of the least important places in the world, nothing happens here yet the party scene is full of wannabees running around trying to be somethin theyre not and will never be in tampa...there is no hollywood here, there is no music industry no wall st no anything but drunk, all talk wannabees in rugged tampa bars/clubs

Old 10-31-2007, 04:34 PM

4 posts, read 9,183 times
Default no reason to stay

As a northerner I was nervous about visiting Florida to begin with, but of course I realize that all big cities, and even some rural areas can have crime. Our visit was pretty good all in all, but the ONE place where we had alot of problems was Tampa. We were followed by some gang types in a car, who only left when we went near some security types, and the people were really rude and pushy - we were there in May, so I don't know if they were tourists or not, but they didn't seem like they were.
While there were some pretty scary looking characters down in the south end of Florida, the only place we were bothered, pushed or threatened was Tampa.
Also, we really didn't find much to like about Tampa either, whereas other areas were so beautiful or interesting, or most of the people were so great and laid back. I thought all the families picnicing on the beach in Homestead were really nice.
So that was our experience. I guess the only good thing I could say about it was that it was lively and bustling.
I would not have any reason to go back to Tampa.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:25 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
"Maxim" Magazine recently rated Tampa as one of 10 TOP party towns. Partially because of the 49 strip clubs, and partially because of all the bars and excessive drinking. Read all about it here!

Maxim Magazine Rates Tampa A Top 10 Party Town

Old 11-01-2007, 08:08 AM

17 posts, read 109,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
"Maxim" Magazine recently rated Tampa as one of 10 TOP party towns. Partially because of the 49 strip clubs, and partially because of all the bars and excessive drinking. Read all about it here!

Maxim Magazine Rates Tampa A Top 10 Party Town

And I have talked with so many people that are proud of that fact......sad.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:24 AM

558 posts, read 2,248,933 times
For most of us, "Tampa" is referencing the larger, general area. The small, family-friendly towns surrounding the area are where many of us live and work...and just like all similar situations throughout the U.S., the city of Tampa has its plusses and minuses. You can choose to live in the city and deal with big-city life, or choose to live in the "'burbs" and have a different lifestyle. Isn't that the beauty of living in the good old USA???

I don't understand why people feel the need to, wholesale, put down an entire area...as no place is perfect. I have found that in a lot of ways, my family and I aren't really "Floridians"--but that has more to do with US than with Tampa, Florida! We are trying to get back to mountain living...now THAT'S US!! ...but until we do, are making an effort to look for the good in Florida, and enjoy all this area does have to offer. No, FL is not perfect, but no place is!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay